Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting new hard drive - how does this affect my site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting new hard drive - how does this affect my site?

Okay I am SOOOO new.. this is my first post.
    My computer crashed, and I will be replacing my hard drive today or tomorrow. Thankfully I was able to retrieve my data, but it got me to thinking.. so here is my main and first question...
    So I am still not real clear about how this thing works. When I publish my website, do the images I have on it (photos, that is) get uploaded too, or does the website somehow refer to my computer to find them and show them?
    I am thinking I should wait a couple of days until I get my main computer back..
    P.S. When published it will be www.sebastopolparty.com, but I am not up and running yet.
    thanks in advance for the help I know I will get here.
    Liz
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Re: getting new hard drive - how does this affect my site?

Unfortunately you will need the photos stored in the original place you uploaded them from, so if you had them on your old PC then you will have to find them all again if you ever republish them. If you never republish then u r ok
    Ramsey
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Liz.. The website is published on a server, the server is just another computer.. So, whatever you already put on the server is safe and can be retrieved.. As a general guideline, whatever you see on a live page on the net is what is on the server including the images it displays.. Note that the word 'publish' does not necessarily mean a complete page.. rather it can mean the use of your server as a storage space, for example, you might have a folder on your server where all of your images are stored.. these are safe and can be retrieved simply by loging into the server and checking what's on it. Once your page is published, ie, allocated a URL, the server does not retrieve anything from your PC..

Ultimately, your PC and the server are two separate machines, losing data on your Pc is not going to affect what's on the server and visa versa.. There is not interactivity between the pc and server when it comes to displaying your pages to visitors.
      Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
        Okay I am SOOOO new.. this is my first post.
        My computer crashed, and I will be replacing my hard drive today or tomorrow. Thankfully I was able to retrieve my data, but it got me to thinking.. so here is my main and first question...
        So I am still not real clear about how this thing works. When I publish my website, do the images I have on it (photos, that is) get uploaded too, or does the website somehow refer to my computer to find them and show them?
        I am thinking I should wait a couple of days until I get my main computer back..
        P.S. When published it will be www.sebastopolparty.com, but I am not up and running yet.
        thanks in advance for the help I know I will get here.
        Liz
        Welcome to Vodaland, you will find a lot of help and ideas in here. As you begin working on your site, make a back-up (at least once month) and it shoudl be an exact copy of your folders, etc.

If you work in BlueVoda and move an image after publishing, that image will disappear from your site and we will see a red x BV is stored on your PC. Soho is stored on a server.

For you page, I would suggest you save and publish the Under Construction page. Right now you have left it open for anyone to change it: . index.bvp 26-Jul-2006 20:24 8k
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Dear larazovich
          Please, please, don't buy one hard drive, buy two.
          If you are running Windows XP use 'backup' to schedule backups to run from your "live" drive to the backup drive during the night. The backup system uses Window task scheduler that allows you to do this.

In XP professional, the backup is enabled by default. In XP home it is Not enabled by default. It is there, though you will have to install it from the CD.

You can schedule to backup your whole PC twice a week, and My Documents more often. Or whatever you decide.

At least this will enable you to recover, if you lose your live drive. Read about 'System state backup' in XP, and Norton Ghost.
          Royden

www.harrow-art.com
          www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by zigzag
            Dear larazovich
            Please, please, don't buy one hard drive, buy two.
            If you are running Windows XP use 'backup' to schedule backups to run from your "live" drive to the backup drive during the night. The backup system uses Window task scheduler that allows you to do this.

In XP professional, the backup is enabled by default. In XP home it is Not enabled by default. It is there, though you will have to install it from the CD.

You can schedule to backup your whole PC twice a week, and My Documents more often. Or whatever you decide.

At least this will enable you to recover, if you lose your live drive. Read about 'System state backup' in XP, and Norton Ghost.

And that is the best advice you can get. Thanks Zigzag
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

thank you all so much.
              Got a new hard drive, all is going to be okay in the world.
              Also got an external hard drive to do routine backup, learn by living, I guess...
              Hope to have site up soon.
              thanks all again.
              Liz
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com
              www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

I'm glad it is working out ok for you Liz!

Bill, I do not understand what you said here: >>If you work in BlueVoda and move an image after publishing, that image will disappear from your site and we will see a red x BV is stored on your PC. Soho is stored on a server.<<<

I thought once you published your page, it was on your server and stays just as you published it unless you go in and make changes. BV does not read your images directly from your computer every time someone looks at your site????? Doesn't publishing (uploading) bring all the images off your computer and onto your "host"? Did you mean... BV is BUILT on your computer, SOHO is built on your server? Please explain.....?
                still working on website!

Comment

When you change the location (map, link) to an image BV will not know where to look for it, unless of course you have also made the corresponding change to your website. See this post by NavalDesign #6 http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/gen...ghlight=backup

In BV your website is on your computer.
                  Bill
                  www.blueearthtea.com
                  www.ftaaconsulting.com
                  www.iaval.com
                  www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Working...
                  X