This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-page password protection

I would like to build the subpage with password protection only for people I give the password to. No nick need just password. I have no idea how to do it. Please help
    FOLLOW ME, I’M LOST TOO

www.bannerclickmania.com

Re: Sub-page password protection

You can only password protect a directory and not as far as I'm aware a single page. Put all the pages you wish to protect into a seperate file within your public_html in ftp then watch this tutorial http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm
    Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by nick1346
      You can only password protect a directory and not as far as I'm aware a single page. Put all the pages you wish to protect into a seperate file within your public_html in ftp then watch this tutorial http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm
      Hope that helps
      CORRECT.

1. Open your Blue Voda Folder (in My Documents), and CREATE NEW FOLDER, naming it whatever you want this protected area to be - all in lower case...example: newfoldername
      2. Open Blue Voda, and under TOOLS, use BlueFTP to upload this new and empty folder to your account (in the main public_html/ area) where it will become a new "directory"
      3. You can publish a single page, or a thousand pages into this new directory using Blue Voda by simply adding the extension of this directory in the Publish Dialog Box thus: public_html/newfoldername

>> NOW...go into your VodaHost Account Control Panel, and click on Password Protect....you can now see this newfoldername listed, which you will click on to password protect.....complete the necessary steps.
      Viola!
      You now have a password protected area to publish pages to.

** Be sure to have accurate links on all the pages, for whenever you exit to another page that is NOT part of the protected directory, you will have to logon once again....
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Use a password gate. They're easy enough to set-up. Bravenet provide a good one for free - http://www.bravenet.com/webtools/passwd/

Comment

Originally posted by nick1346
          Hope that helps
          Hi,
          Thanks for the link. I watched the tutorial and they added a username and password. It was not clear if this username and password is the same for everyone accessing the protected area or can we give each member a separate username and password.

If we can give them individually, is there an area where they can choose their own name and password?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by moneywho
            Hi,
            Thanks for the link. I watched the tutorial and they added a username and password. It was not clear if this username and password is the same for everyone accessing the protected area or can we give each member a separate username and password.

If we can give them individually, is there an area where they can choose their own name and password?

Thanks
            When protecting a Directory, you may assign via CP a general Password, or individual Passwords, none of which are "auto-generated."

For an easy-to-follow process, check out this thread, post #3.

You can publish a single page, 1000 pages, or even install a Forum into a directory this way, thus having even this User utility protected...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
              When protecting a Directory, you may assign via CP a general Password, or individual Passwords, none of which are "auto-generated."
              Thanks Vasili,
              So I would just enter each username and make up a password for each then email it to the new customer?
              Would I get customers to register in phpBB and then take their chosen username and password and unlock the site to them?
              Can they access the first page of phpBB if it is in the directory that is locked?

Just trying to sort out the process as I once joined a phpBB forum like that. After I registered I had to send my Username, email adn name to the company and they manually verified me and unlocked the site to me. I am just not sure if thay had the same set-up with a locked directory.

Thanks

Comment

It's me again
                I folowed your instructions for a protectyed directory. Doesn't work.
                I have site 1 and site 2
                In site 2 I want to protet a fewpages.
                So I create a directory. I named it "private1"
                I went in C panel and protected this directory.
                I created and saved the pages to be protected in my file ,containing all the pages for site 2.
                and I published the pages I wanted to protect in " public-html/private1
                I established links like htp://www.mysite2/protectedpage1.html
                I tested it.
                Didn't work!
                Message "The page you request cannot be find"

I probably did Something wrong somewhere but what?

Really need your help.
                I'm getting bald!!

Comment

You have created a protected folder for site2 (as you say), so the protected folder should be in www.site2.com/private1 and the correct link should be www.site2/private1/pagename.html . But you have created the protected folder in public_html. This is wrong. The protected folder should be created under site 2, and the pages to protect should be in there. So, connect with BlueFTP (or through CP, file Manager), select the site2 folder, create the private1 folder inside the site 2 folder, and then password protect it. Publish your pages directly in it.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by moneywho
                    Thanks Vasili,
                    So I would just enter each username and make up a password for each then email it to the new customer?
                    Would I get customers to register in phpBB and then take their chosen username and password and unlock the site to them?
                    Can they access the first page of phpBB if it is in the directory that is locked?

Just trying to sort out the process as I once joined a phpBB forum like that. After I registered I had to send my Username, email adn name to the company and they manually verified me and unlocked the site to me. I am just not sure if thay had the same set-up with a locked directory.

Thanks
                    Passwords for your Forum operate differently than for a website (or as above, a portion of a website).

In a Forum, you have the option to allow users to: "Self-Register" (enter their User Name and Password themselves, and have immediate access without "approval" from you); "Approved Resgistration" (where users submit UserName and Password that will not allow them access to the Forum until approved/activated by you as "Admin"); and "Assigned Registration" (where you enter/assign every user Name & Password, emailing the access info to new users).
                    For both "Self Register" and "Approved Registration" there is also the option to configure the process where applicants will need to enter a visual cue properly (an image of "wavy letters and numbers"), which is recommended if your Forum is "open" (not in a password-protected directory) so as to keep the bots and auto-subscribers from manipulating your Forum.

The Forum itself (by default) presents at the "Forum Index" page for all visitors to View, but they cannot post or participate in the Forum itself until they complete Registration, UNLESS you "unlock" the Forum entirely, which although is an option, is NOT recommended.

You can install a Forum in a Password-Protected Directory (easily created, similar to a sub-domain) so you can actually have a "front-end" web page created in BV, for instance, which is not accessible to the public and can then link to your "unlocked" Forum. This is useful if you do not wish to allow anyone access to even view your Forum until they are "approved" by you outright, and this approval process is something you will do in your VH cPanel, in the Password Protected Directory area: you simply "Add" both a user name and a password, and this governs complete access to your protected directory.

A simple schematic would look like this (I will include a sub-domain to illustrate the larger point, and show multiple Forums):

*Primary Domain (public_html/ root directory)
                    -BV Website
                    -(forum1)
                    >>Sub-Domain
                    >>-BV Website
                    >>-(forum2)
                    >>-(Password Protected "Directory")
                    >>>^BV Webpage, created as "index" in this new area (optional): you can choose to have this page be a "landing" and then link to Forum3
                    >>>^(forum3)...since this forum is in a "protected Directory" visitors to the sub-domain cannot "see" it from your sub-domain BV Website

I hope you can see that everything in parenthesis are sub's, and "contained" under the domain they are associated with (folders within folders?).

If you have difficulty with this, email me for a personal clarification.

Comment

Naval Design & Vasili.
                      A BIG THANK YOU !!!
                      Have a very good week-end. You saved mine.

Comment

thread closed

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                        X