Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Page Templates

Hi,

A Banner and Menu Bar is going to be common in all the pages in my website. I know I can include that as Template in my webpages. But if I change something in my template, say adding one more menu item, do I need to make this change in each and every page separately??? Is there a way that this change gets reflected in all the pages that uses the template???

Sorry if my my question is very basic. Am just getting started. Your reply will be very helpful to me.

Thanks,
    Ram

Re: Common Page Templates

You can make a new template or use an I-frame. I defer to others more familiar with I-frames.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Ramkumar:

When using home made templets I found it easiest to name a page templet and make a clone of that page to build my other pages then renaming the modified clone page to the new title. Saves a lot of work and promotes site unity.

Comment

Hi Circuspet and Bill,

Thanks for your replies.

Circuspet, I understand your method of cloning and making the other pages. But my question is once we have cloned and completed all our pages and website, if we like to add, say another menu item, would we have to do the same clone process again to see the change in all the web pages???

The other options could be :
        1. Iframes (as Bill mentioned) - How would we do that?
        2. Splitting the screens (to left-right and/or to top-bottom). Is this possible?
        3. A common control which has the Banner and Menu bar at the top constantly (in all the pages). Is this possible?

Thanks,
        Ram

Comment

Yes you can make a new templet every time you add a new menu Item, but what a lot of work. If your new item is a subset of an existing item why not just text link it to that item page. There are many way to express your self on the web, but in my oppinion too many items in the menu bar is too busy and makes the site look too complicated. hypothetical Questions are difficult to answer. BV offers so much artistic freedom and so many ways to do things, but they all key on what image you are trying to portray to the viewing public. View as many other site as you can stand, and you can see how other have set thing up and get a good feel of the image that method presents.

I hope that wasn't too Zen

Comment

Cloning in Blue Voda is merely a *******ting process, so should you make any changes, that change will necessitate repeating the cloning process for all pages, whether or not you implement the use of I-Frames to "set up" your Menu system. By the way, using an I-Frame, although a handy method of simplyfying a layout, is becoming an issue with regard to Search Engine ranking and indexing: they tend to ignore any content below the I-Frame, so as a delimiter, it defeats the long term benefit.

You are essentially asking for a feature usually associated with a true "Template" written in either HTML or php....where the pages are "presented" according to a format specified by code: any changes or addtion to the format (Template) is automatically *******ted for all subsequent pages when "called up"......

...so, NO, Blue Voda (which is written is CSS) cannot support the "Template" behavior you are referring to. You will need to continue to make your changes on your index page to Clone throughout, or construct each page independently to reflect singular changes on each page.
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili:

I knew there was someone out there who could translate what i said into english. Thanks for expanding on the CSS limitations General

Comment

(It's why I should get my own Jeep to drive up to the lines!) LOL
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Excellent information Vasili and circuspet!!!! That was truly educative.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

- Ram

Comment

Vasili:

First you need to get the pearl handled 45's.

Comment

Working...
                    X