Page sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page sizes

I think everyone should know that 800x600 is NOT the average size screen - and, in fact, there are screens with resolutions of 640x480 still out there - but very, very rare - and the 800x600 is getting to be less popular, also.

That said, you do have to take into consideration the people with that resolution (or train them all to change from it LOL) - seriously here are the latest figures:

57% are using 1024x768,
    17% higher (like me at 1280x800)
    20% 800x600
    6% is unknown

Anyway, I do believe you should consider those using 800x600 - not good to rule anyone out - but like with the different browswer windows - I think we're going to have to consider moving our page sizes up to the most common - which I have done, in my own fashion.

If you'd like to keep up with all the statistics - a good place to do so is here:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Re: Page sizes

Eeeeek!
    I've just changed all mine to 800!
    Everyone here said there was a large side scroll on my site...I couldn't see this on my own pc!

Now I'm really confused!LOL
    frogs in wigs

Comment

Bally ...its ok dont be confused ....at 800 your making your pages viewable to everybody not just some but all ....:o)
      Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Awww...that's ok then LOL
        Thanks Lincs lady!!!

Ps...do I know you???
        Are you a also a forum dweller?LOL
        frogs in wigs

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
          57% are using 1024x768,
          17% higher (like me at 1280x800)
          20% 800x600
          6% is unknown

Anyway, I do believe you should consider those using 800x600 - not good to rule anyone out - but like with the different browswer windows - I think we're going to have to consider moving our page sizes up to the most common - which I have done, in my own fashion.
          Good One, Beth!

I too, had this in mind way-back when....even at 800/805 wide, when seen in 1024, there is still a nice border (on centered sites) that is not TOO wide, or enough to really take away from essential layouts...

Keeping with the 800w format will still be within global standards for another 2 years or so, so it IS best to keep "going with the flow."

IMO
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Yes, I'm not necessarily recommending everyone go up from 800x600 - but it's not necessarily going to hurt someone to go up a tad from it - if done smartly. I'm getting regular sales on both my stores - and they are increasing daily -

I also thought hard about HOW to display my pages - and people with 800 resolution on both stores simply miss the right hand column - which is specials, etc - but 75-80% of the users see the whole thing and without as much "blank" space.

It's not for everyone - and it depends on how the site is to be used - but to be safe, yep, keep it 800x600 and 99.9% will see it all.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
            X