Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Really Stupid Question...

Hi Guys!!!
    I'm new to this and good at asking pretty simple questions so please have patience for a poor little idiot!!!! (You'll get used to me pretty quick!!!)
    Basically I need to know where on earth I find free guestbooks and forums??? And, when I find one, how do I modify it to my own liking? (colour, pictures, layout, etc). I've seen some awesome ones and I'm jealous!!!!!
    Also, I still need help with the question about installing a template that I was moaning about previously...
    When I install my BlueVoda template and position it in the top left hand corner it doesn't quite seem to fit the page... Is this normal???!!! I really don't have a clue what my page is meant to look like so it's all pretty trial and error at the mo'!
    If you can help, like I said on a previous thread, explain it like I'm 5 - I won't be offended and I'll probably get it then!!!!!!
    Thankies!

"Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it..." -Martin Stillwater-
    sigpic"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

Re: Another Really Stupid Question...

There are no stupid questions, we learn a bit from every one.
    -Template: choose the one you want. Open a new page, right click on page and in background, select your template, set page width and ok. Then File> Save as Template.
    -when you say it (template) doesn't fit, can you explain a bit more, do you mean it is too wide?
    -Read the posts for forums and guest books but perhaps you wnat to focus on creating the basics of your site first.
    -Go back to the tutorials: http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm

BTW, what is your URL ? site ?
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Hi Bill, thanks for your message.
      When I say the template doesn't fit I mean that when I select it I get like a full template on the screen and half of it again! I've played about with sizes and things but I either get 1 1/2 templates on the screen or I get a white border down the right hand side of the screen and at the bottom! When I get the white spaces I try to resize the template by dragging it down the page but that just moves the white part to the top of the screen instead!!! It's really confusing!!!!
      As for my URL... I don't have a web address or anything yet - I want to make sure I can actually build a good enough site first!! (That's what a URL is, isn't it?!!).

"But he that dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose..." -Ann Bronte-
      sigpic"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

Comment

forums and guestbooks are easy to install using cpanel. Modifying them takes a lot more patience and knowledge. There is a whole forum on this site for Forum questions - once you have installed your forum, have a look there and you will find some tips for modifications.

This won't be easy though, but you may want to use the standard template for now - I have stuck with the standard template (but did add adsense to it successfully), and at least I have a forum that is up and running.

To have a successful forum you also need to have people joining it! Likewise with a guestbook - you may want to get your site established and get some traffic before jumping in at the deep end!

Good luck!
        Trish
        www.Limebrook.com
        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
        www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
        www.TucsonForBeginners.com
        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Listen to Trish on forums.

You can use different programs to tweak the template so it does not look bent out of shape, example lines and shapes are easy to extend using Paint, Photoshop or Paint.net. You may have to go through a bit of trial and error, since you wont plan on horizontal scrolling your task will be easier.

Yes, your URL (Uniform Resource Locator if you are interested) is your website.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Working...
          X