ClearType Setting - Screen Resolution & Font Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ClearType Setting - Screen Resolution & Font Sizes

In Windows there is a "ClearType" setting for your monitor which I have always had checked, because my eyesight is not that great, and I don't like to strain to read.
    My web pages used Verdana 8 point text, and this was fine with ClearType set. I then realised, when I set the option back to Standard, that it was difficult to read the text on my web site. I have now increased the font size as a result.
    Has anyone got any comments on the what they feel the point size in Verdana should be for easy reading?

The text font size is very important. There are, or course, other factors, like personal taste, eyesight, and monitor size. But, too small a font is hard to scan read, and too large appears to be shouting. Somewhere in the middle, is a text size that sells, which is what we are all after.

I think we would all like to see BV users opinions on this topic.
    Are there any stats on how many viewers use ClearType?

(To set ClearType)
    Right click blank space on desktop/Properties/Appearance/Effects/. In XP the second check box (smooth edges of screen fonts) has an option for Standard or ClearType

Regards,
    Royden

www.harrow-art.com
    www.harrow.co.za

Re: ClearType Setting - Screen Resolution & Font Sizes

Its a matter of preference and I suspect whatever is set at the shop. Would think that most people will not change it from the default.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I agree that most people don't change what their computer is set at for these things - therefore, what you put in as type - they will see the standard - and medium settings -

Personally, I use fonts from 8 to 12 (in the manner you're mentioning them) for different things - but would not recommend 8 for most paragraphs of text - as it's too small for that.

Also, remember, not all of us use Verdana either :) but it is definitely a safe font to use and standard on computers.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Gee, I would love to be able to set a viewer's monitor to ClearType when they view my web pages. Once you have used it, the Standard type looks very feint.
        Try the comparison, when viewing this forum page.
        Royden

www.harrow-art.com
        www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Working...
        X