Minimum Dimensions Required for a Web Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Dimensions Required for a Web Page

Hi all, I'm new to voda. This could seem like a really dumb question but I know nothing! I've searched the tutorials etc but can't find an answer. When setting up a web page I have put in a background colour for the entire page in a large square. How long and wide does it have to be to ensure it covers a web page when published on the internet or is this automatic? And also how do I make a long page shorten when published if there is little content on it and we don't want it to scroll down forever. Not sure if I am making myself clear, sorry. Michelle at fallingpregnant.com

Re: Minimum Dimensions Required for a Web Page

Hey!

I personally would say 800x600 so you don't have to scroll down unless you have no choice because you have alot on that page, but do not make the width more then 800 pixels because most people have small screens at the resolution and if you make it 1200 instead then people with small screens will have to scroll left and right which is the most annoying thing, haha. But make sure you centre your page in page properties so it will centre the page for big sreen users.

Much success, good luck!
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. I didn't even realise there were page properties as I'd put my shape over the entire page and just started working. I've scrolled down beyond that and can see my page properties now when right clicking. So silly of me. Thanks heaps for your dimension recommendations, it is much appreciated.
      Michelle.

Comment

Are you talking about the site content or the site background ?
        There's a difference, keep your content at 800 wide. Your background is something else, if you use 800 too, some users will see a white space off to the right of their screens, so consider what you want them to see.
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy
          Hey!

I personally would say 800x600 so you don't have to scroll down unless you have no choice because you have alot on that page, but do not make the width more then 800 pixels because most people have small screens at the resolution and if you make it 1200 instead then people with small screens will have to scroll left and right which is the most annoying thing, haha. But make sure you centre your page in page properties so it will centre the page for big sreen users.

Much success, good luck!
          While Jeremy has some very good points - he is misinformed. The size screen someone has does not have anything to do with the resolution they see the page. I can use a 6 inch monitor and choose a 1280 resolution on it.

Also, most people are NOT using 800x600 - it just happens to be the smallest size you need to worry about today. The most common screen size now is a width of 1024 - and the majority of internet users fall in 1024 and above. However there is still a good percentage using 800x600, so if you want to be safe and cover all - keep the width at 800.

In Blue Voda - unless you make the page longer, it will not keep going down down down - it will stop where you stop the page.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
          X