Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos

I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to go to find answers, so if not, please be very specific as to how I am supposed to ask general questions. Anyways here goes. I have successfully uploaded and published my video to my web site, however it takes forever to come up on my site. People will not wait 3 minutes to watch it. Is there anything I can do to make it go faster? I have tried to shorten it-it's only 2 mb now (50 sec) I am on a budget so a $200 download is not an option. Thanks for your help

Re: Videos

3 minutes does seem like quite a long time to wait for a 2mb video to load.

Couple of things to check :)

Do you have lots of other info and pictures on the same page as the video?
    Does the video automatically play through a media player or is a link which then downloads the video?

Can you post a link so we can have a look to check? also, it will let you know if others (us) are having the same probs.

FPRULES

Comment

Here's an Idea! Why not provide a link to your site so we can test your download.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you, I should have done that already, but wasn't sure I was posting in the right spot. My web site is http://www.perfectshotvideos.com as far as whether it goes through windows media player or a link-I think it just goes through the media player-not sure though. I just clicked on media player and then added the file, then published. Since I have posted the first question I have deleted extra unused files from my ftp and shortened the clip.

Comment

Hi again :)

The top right hand picture by itself is over half a megabyte in size. That is the first delay that is being caused on your page Franc. Usually your page elements wil lload before the video starts to play (or in the order that you placed them on the page).

Also, I got the link for your video rather than letting the media player load it (the media player is the little screen in the middle). And it tells me that the file size is over 8mb. Im not sure if that is correct, you mentioned a file size of 2mb but.. If it is correct then 3 minutes loading time is not that bad, you have done well.

Looking at the video.. It is VERY high quality which will always add to the file size. Fully appreciated that you want to display your service in the best possible light but I am affraid to say that there is no middle ground between quality and speed. Your video will always be low quality but quick to load or high quality and slow to load.

You asked for recommendations on software.... Have a look at **** Vegas. I just started to use it. It's complicated but it does an awful lot for a reasonable price :)

One other thing... I definitely recommend not using spaces in your filenames :) :) :)

FPRULES

Comment

Your videos loaded fine (broadband IE6).
            Consider centering your pages and might change your page titles to yourdomain - Home not just "home"
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Francespena:
              I took a look and got the specs of your video. It's your choices of compression of the original AVI/DV file to the windows media file (wmv).

A: Your video size: 720 x 480. Way, way too big for the frame. That is used for full screen and a much larger file size.
              Small frame is 240 x180 (yours)
              Medium is 320 x 240
              Large is 480 x 360
              Large widescreen is 480 x 270
              B. Your speed of 1.38 MBPS is a setting for Broadband and above connections.
              Bring it down to 500 KBPS for medium speed computer connections.
              C. What are you using to compress? Sorenson Squeeze or Spark maybe? I noticed you are using a one-pass VBR. Use two pass VBR for *****ness.
              D. There are two types of streaming video. Progressive and regular.
              This choice is determined at the time of compressing your AVI/DV files from your authoring program to wmv.
              1. Regular - Video file downloads to the viewer's computer completely before displaying on the screen. It also allows the viewer to download your movie to keep on his.
              2. Progressive streaming - This format loads as it plays, downloading to the user as a temporary file. This is much, much, faster, though the viewer is unable to keep a copy of your video on his machine after viewing.

Progressive is the way to go if you do not want to wait. ...okay, I've exhausted my knowledge. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X