A few questions before I start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions before I start

My name is Wayne Arnold. My domain name is shirway.us. My client ID is 9672. Hopefully this will adequately identify me well enough to receive some answers before I get started the wrong way and things get really messed up.

I have been reading and watching tutorials and trying to get started on the right foot. I am also trying to plan my site properly so that it will eventually help me earn a living. Some of the fog is starting to lift, so here are some questions.

1. I've been reading that my account carried with it one free domain registration. I have also read that I may still have that even though I already owned a domain name. Is this correct?

2. If I own multiple domain names, it would seem that I need to pay for hosting each one of those domain names. Is this correct, and if so, do I pay the same annual billing for the additional domains as I did for the first one?

3. I have been reading and weighing Blue Voda vs Soho, and from what I've seen, it seems that with Blue Voda I am able to develop my site on my local system and upload it to the site, while Soho must be developed on my site in a live environment. Is this correct?

4. What is the "Treasure Chest" that I hve seen mentioned?

Guess that will hold me for now. It's back to reading and watching tutorials whilst I await your answers.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Wayne
    www.shirway.us
    www.beautyinwood.com

Re: A few questions before I start

I can help with some of your questions.
    1. You can have a free domain name IF you signed up for it when you purchased your hosting.
    2. No, you do not need separate hosting accounts for each domain name (unless you use Soho for more than one - as you can only have one Soho account on one hosting package).
    3. I prefer BV - but there are advantages and disadvantages to both - you have to decide how you want your shopping cart to work to make that decision.
    4. Others will have to answer that.

Welcome.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Bethers:

Thank you very much for your answers, but as you are no doubt aware, the answer to a question merely generates more questions. Has something to do with the quest for knowledge or some such drivel!

First, how do I know wheter I signed up for a free domain name or not? I just clicked on the appropriate looking option and paid my money.

Second, if one has multiple domains, which I do, how does one handle them when trying to build a site? I currently have 2 top level domains, and I need a third one.

If I don't qualify as eligible for a free domain as a new customer, is there a way to purchase one through Vodahost? I'm pretty sure there is, I just haven't looked for it yet.

Finally, what about this "Treasure Chest" thing? Is it something I should be interested in?

Thanks again,

Wayne
      Wayne
      www.shirway.us
      www.beautyinwood.com

Comment

Originally posted by warnold
        Bethers:

Thank you very much for your answers, but as you are no doubt aware, the answer to a question merely generates more questions. Has something to do with the quest for knowledge or some such drivel!

First, how do I know wheter I signed up for a free domain name or not? I just clicked on the appropriate looking option and paid my money. You are entitled to a free domain name - just raise a support ticket and Vodahost will explain what to do.

Second, if one has multiple domains, which I do, how does one handle them when trying to build a site? I currently have 2 top level domains, and I need a third one. You can set up different folders in BV to keep the pages of each site separate. Each new site has its own folder within your public_html folder on your account. When you load a page to one of your add on domains, you upload it to your folder public_html/newdomain

If I don't qualify as eligible for a free domain as a new customer, is there a way to purchase one through Vodahost? I'm pretty sure there is, I just haven't looked for it yet. Yes, you can buy domains via Vodahost - the url is www.vodahostdomains.com

Finally, what about this "Treasure Chest" thing? Is it something I should be interested in? Treasure Chest is freebies and goodies for Vodahost customers - for example you can buy domain names for $2.95 here. You need to have a login, and to get one you raise a support ticket.

Thanks again,

Wayne
        Hope the above helps!
        Trish
        www.Limebrook.com
        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
        www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
        www.TucsonForBeginners.com
        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Working...
        X