No announcement yet.

Uploading Website (New member Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading Website (New member Question)

Hello everyone... Well after many hours of dragging and dropping, cutting and pasting I am very near the moment of seeing if all this hard work has been worth it. I have got an account (admittedly only 30 hours ago) but the URL that is listed in the welcome email is not visable in the list of URL's that appear when I click the "Publish" button.
    Question 1... Am i correct in saying that when my account is active the numbers of my URL will appear in that section.
    Question 2... When I do get my site uploaded to the net how do I then retrieve a page if I want to make any changes to it?
    Hope you don't mind my silly questions, but I am sooooooo new at this.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    www.affordableboilers.com

Re: Uploading Website (New member Question)

Hey!

First off, let me start by welcoming you to the VodaHost community! Now, Make sure you use the correct I.P Address, username and password when you publish.

If you save your page as home.bvp and you publish it, it will then become www.yourdomain.com/home.html or home.php depending what link format you changed it to. Make sure when you do save the page you don't add .html or .php only .bvp .. it will later add .html or .php when you publish.

Once you have published that page and want to make a change, just open that page in BlueVoda and do what ya gotta do then save it and publish it and it will over ride the old one. But make sure you empty the old pictures in your FTP once in a while because the old pictures stay and takes space that you may need.

Also, your first page must be named index or it will not work unless you change the re-direct link in your cPanel.

Much success to you!
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Welcome to VodaLand, where anything is possible.

Have you published yr first page, what is your site /URL ?
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thanks for the very quick replies and I really do appreciate your help but I am still a little confused.
        I will try to explain what I have done...
        1... I have saved all of my pages as a name.... eg stuarthome (The web builder has saved these in the Blue Voda file in my documents) I believe these are .BVP files is this right?
        2... I have done about half of the hyperlinks and have named them as the following.... www.affordableboilers.com/stuarthome.html.
        so i have used my website address then a / then the page I want to link it to and then typed .html.
        I hope you understand my rambling but it is 4:20am here in london. haha
        Thanks again for your continuing help.

Comment

Bill....
          My URL is 74.52.103.210 but it doesn't show up in my publish list of URL's, does this mean it is not active yet ?

Comment

Not necessarily. Download BV again, your files will not go anywhere.

Your first or home page in BV is always saved as index no extensions, when you publish it will show as http://www.affordableboilers.com every other page save as (example) stuarthome , stuartabout_us, etc. when you publish they will appear as http://www.affordableboilers.com/stuarthome.html

Take a break, have a biscuit and tea.
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I need more than a cup of Tea my friend. Haha
              Ok I am following that part, that is what I have done. All my pages are saved as just the page name (no extensions) what about the hyperlinks have I done that wrong by typing the following in the http// section www.affordableboilers.com/index.html (In this example to guide that link back to the index page) or does the system add the web address and the html part automatically when I publish the site.
              Hope this is making sense Bill.

Comment

If you mean connecting your pages, you will need a menu bar, NavBar, or an image or text link. have you done that?
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Yes I have done all of that... Let me give you an example, to link a picture with another page on my website, I have done the following..
                  1.. highlighted the picture
                  2.. Clicked the hyperlink button.
                  3... In the Link type box i have got the Http// showing.
                  4.. In the URL box I have typed..www.affordableboilers.com/index.html
                  obviously in this example I want to link the picture back to my index page.
                  My question is.. do I just type the page name in this box or do i have to add the www.affordableboilers.com and also the .html part of it as well.
                  Thanks Bill

Comment

By the way I have just downloaded BlueVoda again and my URL is there. Thanks for that info Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Stulew
                      4.. In the URL box I have typed..www.affordableboilers.com/index.html
                      obviously in this example I want to link the picture back to my index page.
                      My question is.. do I just type the page name in this box or do i have to add the www.affordableboilers.com and also the .html part of it as well.
                      Thanks Bill
                      Just the latter www.affordableboilers.com.

You are welcome
                      Bill
                      www.blueearthtea.com
                      www.ftaaconsulting.com
                      www.iaval.com
                      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thanks Bill.
                        I will give it a go and report back.
                        I appreciate all your help.
                        Kindest regards
                        Stuart

Comment

Working...
                        X