Domain Name changing - Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Name changing - Help please

Hi everyone, I hope if ***** will be here to give me the straight slap.

What if I want to give up my actual domain name and change it, can I do that? if yes, how?

Thanks in advance
    The Producer

Re: Domain Name changing - Help please

To the best of my knowledge, the only ways you get rid of your domain names are to either let them lapse by not renewing them, or by posting them for sale and finding someone to buy them.

There is really no such thing as changing a domain name. You can get rid of the original by one of the methods just described, and then registering a new one with the name you want (if it's available) and start using it.

Wayne
    Wayne
    www.shirway.us
    www.beautyinwood.com

Comment

buy a new one then re-direct your site to that name
      The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
      Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

thank you guys,

I got a new one, but redirecting my website to it will be a nitemare, imagine changing all the links URL, so I'll use the new one for another service I can provide.

Thank you
        The Producer

Comment

Heres what to do,

Leave your existing site intact, dont change any links.

Create a subweb (add on domain) for your new URL.

In that subweb have one page called index.html

On the new index page is an automatic redirect which takes people to the existing index.html page on your existing site (I can give you the code to make an automatic redirect if you need it).

so....

The new url works perfectly well and so does the old one, the new url automatically takes people to the existing site.

Notes...

Some people wont like the fact that they have gone to URL2 and then automatically been taken to another website (URL1). Best to put a little explantion on the new index page telling people that they are about to be taken to your main site.

Changing your URL's and links will upset any positioning that you have in search engines. for example if you have a page called mypage.html which is listed in Google and then you delete that page, it will still appear in search listings for a while but if anybody tries to visit they will get a 404 error because the page no longer exisits. Once you have created a site the pages within it shouldnt really be changed, renamed or deleted.

FPRULES

Comment

Working...
          X