Downloading Powerpoint files Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading Powerpoint files Problems

Ive Organised A Powerpoint file download on my site but after it downloads and is extracted it is separated into the component parts of the Original file...
    And can't be opened by powerpoint To Download the file and see for yourself Go to www.chriscopland.com/ANTI_SPAM_SUB.html which is a test page Ii placed it on
    Please advise.
    Live your life so that when your children think of Honesty, Integrity, and Truth, They think of you

Re: Downloading Powerpoint files Problems

Probably one of the best things you can do is offer the Powerpoint Viewer as a download on your site. This will allow people to see your Powerpoint files without having to download them. They can be viewed directly from the site.

You can get the Powerpoint Viewer (which is free) from Microsoft, just do a search in Google or another search engine for Powerpoint Viewer. When you have it, upload it to your site in the same way that you do for all your other files and simply put a link to it so that others can get it from you rather than having to divert from your site and goto Microsoft.

:)

FPRULES

Comment

Files viewed on the site are ALWAYS downloaded, although on the background (in the Temp folder of your computer) then put in action by the program. Even HTML pages are files that are transfered from the server to your computer (that is, downloaded) and displayed thanks to the browser. The same goes for ANY type of file.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Im sure you get the jist of what I was saying though ND. It's hardly the same is it?

Like downloading a song or streaming it into a media player. Of course they are both downloaded but whats easier for your visitors? I thought it was prefered to be as less technical as possible for the benefit of others

FPRULES

Comment

I was merely reffering to" This will allow people to see your Powerpoint files without having to download them. They can be viewed directly from the site."

What i meant is that either they have PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer on their computer, the proccess is excactly the same for the visitor.

Having a handy PowerPoint Viewer download link directly on the site will ofcourse allow people WITHOUT PowerPoint, to view the presentation, and will also keep on the site people that otherwise would leave

Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

That was my point... people without Powerpoint as well as those who do have it. For VHFMEM to get max coverage my idea rocks ;)

FPRULES

Comment

Yours is a zip file - as such it has to be downloaded on a users computer, a lot of users will skip it and move on.
              Bill
              www.blueearthtea.com
              www.ftaaconsulting.com
              www.iaval.com
              www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Hi Guys,

I want my visitors to be able to save the file to thier comp Ive tried a test download myself, and when i download it to a folder it gets extracted to pieces rather than a loadable powerpoint file.
                I will gladly follow your very learned advice and offer a PPt viewer on my site and upload one
                But only if I can get the file to download on my test so I can veiw it with my powerpoint.
                My aim guys is to try and keep it simple ie: click download link save to folder, then view at leisure Once I have mastered that with your help I can move onto my Main projects Keep the help coming thanks
                Live your life so that when your children think of Honesty, Integrity, and Truth, They think of you

Comment

Maybe This will help
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	497363

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	497364

Comment

Don't make it into a zip file, leave as a pps.
                    Bill
                    www.blueearthtea.com
                    www.ftaaconsulting.com
                    www.iaval.com
                    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Hi to Naval design, FPRob and you bill Sorry about the extremely small photos which don' explain my problem as I had hoped you can see the problem clearer on my site www.chriscopland.com/vhfmemhelp.html

I like the Background reasoning here Don't let people off your site unneccesarily, make it easy for them But the Good thing about this forum is at least anyone having a problem has a Direct route to Get Help as I improve I hope To pass on the help I recieve to others

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        Regarding then Powerpoint download problem it seems that when uploading to public_html the file extention added an x *.pptx I don't know how this could make a difference but when I renamed the file*.ppt and uploaded it to my site Set the new link and it downloaded to file just fine

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                        X