Sorry about this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry about this...

I am trying to begin an online newspaper. I have pretty well completed the template and menu bars. Now, I'm stuck on some of the most basic things I'll need to continue. Sorry about the legnth, but here goes.

HOW DO I...

1. Create an opinion poll? It should have: multiple choice options, a "vote" button, a "see results" button, and should allow only one "vot" per user. "See results" should be allowed as often as desired.
    2. Copy and insert stories onto page?
    3. Allow reader response to each copied or original story in a "blog" fashion?
    4. Keep archives of all of the above in a neat, orderly filing system; a system that may perhaps be searchable by both me and other users?
    5. Create a "hit' counter?
    6. Create a date line, such as September 3, 2006, that changes automatically as the date changes.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me on these issues.

Alan

Re: Sorry about this...

Manfred :

Go to the top of the forum page and use the search for; date and vote seperately. I used some html script I got off this forum for a date line on my form page ( http://www.circuspet.com/petstarform.html ). VodaHost
    offered a " vote " html script just last week. Ican't personally vouge for that one I never tried it. Also if you could masterfully make your articles the same lenth you could put them in HTML boxes, although I can't see how this would save any work over just rewritting in new text boxes after you have deleted last issue. I hope you love to type because if you are planing yo copy and paste from other publications you may be stepping on toes. If you have an army of writers and their ISP has an option for html
    email that option could save you a lot of work. you would still need to format the html boxes but it beats typing.If you budget permites you might consider a raid 5 display for your memory you can start with two hard drives and add on as needed. If that's out of the budget, you may consider older technology like external hard drives.
    ditto search for hit counter, which are redundant (but I like them).
    For responces you may consider php form page allowing user to identify
    article and make comment and leave return email address.

P.S. It would be easier on both of us if you asked one question at a time.

Comment

Why don't you just use a blog? It will do everything you require.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

OK, that's all about as clear as mud to me; I'm just not a techie. Possibly I've made a huge mistake here, but I was trying to create something more than just a blog--a news distributor that I and other readers could comment on. Although I can write the occasional editorial, I don't have the time or the inclination to be a full-time reporter. I don't have an army of correspondants, and I'm not independantly wealthy. Nor do I have an established news corporation backing me up. That is the whole point--if one must still be a wealthy organization with loads of money, what good is the internet anyway?
        I also don't want some bland site in which to vent; there are thousands of them out there. I want to attract readers by being different, not one of many voicing their personal complaints.

OK, let me start with the most pressing question; is it possible to publish articles from other newsites onto an amateur site (mine) w/o being hammered for royalty fees for every single article? If so, how, and how much cost WILL have to be incurred?

Alan

Comment

You want to start a online newspaper but you don't want to learn a few things,
          Sorry mate, it does not work that way...You had very specific requirements in
          your first post and I replied the best way to accomplish your desired task is to
          start a blog and you can rant and vent all day in a very categorized and organized
          fashion.....

Click the below to learn more about blogs.

http://www.vodahost.com/blog.htm

The second part, I dont know the legal aspects of posting other peoples
          work on your site...I suggest you do a bit of research on this topic.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Do you want something like the below...

http://blamebush.typepad.com

Or do you want to go all out like the below..

http://www.cnn.com

Give us an example of a site you like and we will tell you how to build it.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Manfred:

Dear Alen,

All the mecanical tools to do what you want are here, and at your disposal. However, the ability to take an idea and turn it into an
              organized concept is up to you of course.
              I haven't been able to read newspapers for about ten years now
              ( weak eyes), but from my recolection the major sorce for most news was
              API or UPI which I'm sure have a subscription fee. you would need to check with these and other "news service providers" for details. If your publication was pure rebutal to other articles you could quote them with
              acknowledgments. According to XXXXX from xxxxxxx blah blah blah.
              The problem with this is after finding the article, doing the reasearch, and making your rebutal, the news would be quite old, but may still have enough contraversy to attract readers.
              Of the 127 Billionares in the us, six are family of the late Randolph Hearst.
              There are mountians of money involved in " forming the publics opinion"
              and there is definitely an unfair advantage afforded to those of substance. If you are not financially able to build a "castle" you may consider getting your name recognition from a "shack". Try creating a blog and getting your name out. After all, all jorneys must start with a first step.

Comment

After giving this careful consideration, and looking into the possible use of third-party articles, I have come to the conclusion that you are right. I have bitten off more than I can chew.
                There is no way I can support anything like the CNN site; I just don't have the resources. Therefore the BLAMEBUSH-type site seems far more attractive and manageable.
                If there is another charge for having a blog rather than the site I am currently working on, let me know now. If not, I am ready to proceed with the blog-building process. I can't really give you a specific example of what I'm looking for, because I haven't found one yet.
                If publication of what I have already completed will help you any, I will do that. However, I would like to keep my URL if possible.
                Thanks very much for all your understanding and suggestions. I am awaiting instructions.

Alan

Comment

Yes, you can keep your URL. Andy ou can install a blog through Fantastico, no charge for this, it is included in your account. Tryout the available scripts, see if you like them, and if yes, just use them.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Manfred:

Alen, you've come to the right place. With fantastico, you can build an awsome blog and a forum similar to the one your on now. If your blog has four articles you could have four subforums to corespond to the articles with threads and post accordingly. I suggest you start small and add subforums and articles to your blog as your readership grows.
                    Have fun studying the videos. See you on the forum

Comment

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get started! All the time I spent on the earlier attempt was not entirely wasted; I gained some valuable experience on the system.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X