Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No scrolling (what you see is what you get)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No scrolling (what you see is what you get)

I am trying to make a web site which involves no scrolling whatsoever (horizontal or vertical), and am trying to make my background image the right size for this.

I've tried a variety of sizes (760x400) (780x400) (800x400) yet there always seems to be a bit of a gap on the right hand side and bottom of the page.- used for scrollbar perhaps?

To fill in this gap I've made my background image to (800x410)

Is this wize or should i stick to what the GTP company suggests?

Follow this link to GTP page:

http://www.gtp.com.au/gtp/gtp-icom/i...d=2131&tags=on

Re: No scrolling (what you see is what you get)

I honestly don't know if that link is to your website or some other web design company.. If the issue is about your page, can we have the link to your page so we can look..??
    Cheers.

Comment

It's a link to a company on the net. Was looking for articles on screen dimensions and found it.

My website isn't up and running yet, haven't got a domain name or anything. Just creating the pages offline at the mo.

Comment

Are you using BV?

Comment

I'm using BV and dreamweaver 8; seeing what happens to the screen dimensions in both

Comment

In BV, just as in DW, the background has to be a background, not just as an inserted image.. the reason being, backgrounds correspond with the attributes you put into the page properties and adjust any background content accordingly.. In english, here's an example: if you use a 400X100px image as a background, then you set the page size to 800X600, the image which is set as background will be adjusted accordingly.. But if you use an image as in inserted image, the background settings will not affect that image size. I gues what I am saying is, background will fix itself with the page, images wont do that.

Lets assume that you've done that right.. the scrolling depends on the size of the page, from what you've said above, it looks like you have some element, even if it's a tiny little dot, is floating somewhere.. you need to find it.. the only other thing I can think of is if you create the page, preview it, and then copy the code source from your browser and paste it here so we can have a look.
            Cheers.

Comment

Here is the source code for the preview, as requested. The image
              has been set as background, not inserted image. It looks
              fine on my screen, which is set to 800x600, I don't know
              what it looks like on others.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
              <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
              <head>
              <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
              <title>Untitled Document</title>
              <style type="text/css">
              <!--
              body {
              background-image: url(800x410.jpg);
              background-repeat: no-repeat;
              background-color: #000000;
              }
              -->
              </style></head>

<body>
              </body>
              </html>

Comment

Your page looks fine.. the gaps you're looking at are the scroll guides.. (the space where the scroll lift moves)... No scroll on that page.. The only way you can get rid of the scroll lift guides is to bring your page up in a popup.. which would be the craziest thing ever done on the net for an index page.. But your page is fine as it is.

Comment

May I add, people with lower monitor settings may end up with a scroll on the same page.. but I use the most popular settings and it looked without scroll.

Comment

Cheers for your help

Comment

Pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                      X