** Silly EASY Question **

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** Silly EASY Question **

I just have a real easy question (I'm sure) to ask..... I've just purchased Voda Host to host my site (www.advanced-equipment.com) and need to "START" building my site - I have not done anything as of yet and need to know where to start, how to start my first page, what to do and where to look for pages and how to get everything up and started basically. Now what do I do after I purchased this???

Thanks
    KatieC.

Re: ** Silly EASY Question **

Originally posted by katieC
    I just have a real easy question (I'm sure) to ask..... I've just purchased Voda Host to host my site (www.advanced-equipment.com) and need to "START" building my site - I have not done anything as of yet and need to know where to start, how to start my first page, what to do and where to look for pages and how to get everything up and started basically. Now what do I do after I purchased this???

Thanks
    KatieC.
    Hi Katie.

You need to download BlueVoda, if you haven't done so already. Click here to download it. I think your first Port of call should be the Tutorials section. You can find them by clicking the 'Tutorials' link on the dark blue navigation bar at the top of this page. It really is worth spending a little time reviewing these, they will help you loads. Please feel free to come back and post should you require help with a specific problem, people here are always happy to help whenever they can. Good luck.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you so much ..... do you know where I can download all of the templates? I just had that page, now I lost it??

Thanks again ....
      Katie

Comment

Thank you so much ..... do you know where I can download all of the templates? I just had that page, now I lost it??

Thanks again ....
        Katie
        I think it's the 'Image Library' on this page. Good luck!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks.
          I keep downloading templates, then when I go to start a new page using template, it just opens a box that says blue voda and there's nothing there, I download and extract them, and NOTHING. I can't get these pages to open and display so that I can keep going and building on my site here ...... so frustrated.

katiec

Comment

and if I want to use one of the "ready made" templates, how do I do that and get the whole template on the page to alter/update that?? I went to "page properties" but then it would not let me open all the parts to the page??

Thanks
            KatieC

Comment

Thanks.
              I keep downloading templates, then when I go to start a new page using template, it just opens a box that says blue voda and there's nothing there, I download and extract them, and NOTHING. I can't get these pages to open and display so that I can keep going and building on my site here ...... so frustrated.

katiec
              Katie, Hi.

Open BlueVoda (blank page).

Right click on the page background and go to page properties.

Click on the 'background' tab.

Click the browse button next to the image box and browse for the template you want to use.

Double click the template then click ok.

You should now have your template.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

and if I want to use one of the "ready made" templates, how do I do that and get the whole template on the page to alter/update that?? I went to "page properties" but then it would not let me open all the parts to the page??

Thanks
                KatieC
                The free templates are gif files. They are 'flat' and are just one image. They can't be edited in BlueVoda. If you are good with Paintshop Pro or a similar graphics application you can edit the templates in there. or re-size them. I think you may find it simpler to just build your own page from scratch by using shapes and colours. Have a play around and see how you get on. 'Play time' is an important part of learning to use BV and it's fun!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ok, I stated something "wrong" here and that is my fault, what I meant by "editing" was that once I got the "page there" - I don't know where to go from there to add buttons/ text or anything beyond that. I watched the tutorials and all but no help there. Once I got my page up - the template, one that has (well it's this one ... y0h12a) a yellow top and side bar, from THERE I tried to fix the size of my page, because the page was too large and this made the image double on my page, but for some reason, it stayed the same, showing TWO "side bars" and TWO "head bars" .... see what I mean?

katiec

Here's what I got .... I finally GOT the color of the page I want to start with, I see it on the screen, but when I look at my screen, there are TWO/DOUBLE of this that I chose, I need to cut/carve one out so that it only shows ONE PAGE and not TWO SIDE BY SIDE next to each other -- is there a way to do that so I can start doing other things?? I tried to make my page width only 600, and my height only 500, and it gives this "moveable ruler" but still shows DOUBLE OF WHAT I WANT TO SHOW ON MY PAGE?? Hope this helps, I'm lost and would like to start working on another part like the WORDING of my page, and would also like to know how to save this so that when I type in my web address, it shows me this page in the works ......??

Comment

Ok, I stated something "wrong" here and that is my fault, what I meant by "editing" was that once I got the "page there" - I don't know where to go from there to add buttons/ text or anything beyond that. I watched the tutorials and all but no help there. Once I got my page up - the template, one that has (well it's this one ... y0h12a) a yellow top and side bar, from THERE I tried to fix the size of my page, because the page was too large and this made the image double on my page, but for some reason, it stayed the same, showing TWO "side bars" and TWO "head bars" .... see what I mean?

katiec

Here's what I got .... I finally GOT the color of the page I want to start with, I see it on the screen, but when I look at my screen, there are TWO/DOUBLE of this that I chose, I need to cut/carve one out so that it only shows ONE PAGE and not TWO SIDE BY SIDE next to each other -- is there a way to do that so I can start doing other things?? I tried to make my page width only 600, and my height only 500, and it gives this "moveable ruler" but still shows DOUBLE OF WHAT I WANT TO SHOW ON MY PAGE?? Hope this helps, I'm lost and would like to start working on another part like the WORDING of my page, and would also like to know how to save this so that when I type in my web address, it shows me this page in the works ......??
                    You need to edit the template, Katie. Open it in Photo Shop or Paint Shop or even Windows picture manager and resize it to the size you want, you may even have to crop it a little. They are not ideal things to use and take a little getting used to.

Set your page width by right clicking on the page background (not the image) and set your width to 800 (recommended).

When you have got your page to how you want it you can save it and publish it using the publish button. You will need to enter your IP address, log in name and password all of which are in your welcome email.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I guess what I'm asking, and I can't figure out how to really "say" it here and that's my problem ..... my BLUE VODA PAGE is too long, where the ruler is at the top of the page?? The ruler goes PAST 800 in width, and therefore shows the page as being TOO LONG IN WIDTH if that makes sense. How do I fix THAT so that I'm not working on 1000 in width, and only WORKING on 800 in width, and so that I'm not looking at 1000 measurement in width of writing, color and page ...?? Hope this makes sense .... here's a small drawing to help you see what I'm looking at ...

100....200....300....400....500....600....700....8 00....900....1000.and so on

the "page" SHOULD end at the 800 mark, but doesn't. Therefore the PAGE, the color template that I chose, my "words" when I type then, go FURTHER than 800 and it looks like it's DUPLICATING two pages next to each other?? How do I get that ruler to only GO to the 800 mark, and make that look like the EDGE OF THE PAGE instead of just past the middle?? My PAGE should END at the 800 mark, not keep going --

Is there any way to fix this so that I can continue to work on ONE page, not one extra long one that has like two/three pages next to each other?? You see, my page doesn't END at 800, it started another template, and a third one because the WIDTH is too long .....

Thanks so much, sorry to be a pain with this.

KatieC

Comment

Hi Katie,

One step at a time ...most of us started with the tutorials, sometimes watching them several times before it sinks in...me included ....click on the link below and first of all set your page widths ... follow the steps by the letter that will start you off on the right step ....also its a good idea to have a play around with all the buttons and features in your BV builder ...this will get you familiarised with whats on there and what it does ...

Amanda has given you some good instructions just follow them one by one ...step at a time....try not to get sidetracked and just do one thing at a time ... you'll soon get the hang of it ....:o).... have fun

Your not a pain ...we all started here :o)
                        Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
                        http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/add...-bluevoda.html

Here is a tutorial on templets and step by step instructions
                          from the big General!
                          Brad Arnold.......
                          www.baldwincomusic.com
                          www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
                          !Free Search Engine Submission!
                          Talking Avatar for your web site!
                          Free sound editor
                          Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Guides................

Click the 'layout' at the top, then 'guides settings', then check
                            'guide borders'. You'll get a dashed line showing your selected
                            page size. Your display monitor screen is larger than your selected
                            width of '800'. By using 'guide borders' , you'll be able to see
                            your work area. Also, you might want to add your templet
                            in as an image instead of a background. Backgrounds are 'tiled'
                            and that is why you are seeing double.
                            Brad Arnold.......
                            www.baldwincomusic.com
                            www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
                            !Free Search Engine Submission!
                            Talking Avatar for your web site!
                            Free sound editor
                            Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Working...
                            X