Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small "Page" Question ..... (but important)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small "Page" Question ..... (but important)

Hi Everyone,

I've watched all the tutorials, (well almost all) and have finished and published my first page (index page). I now need to start my second page, and when I start it, somehow SAVE IT so that it knows it's my "second page to my website"?? How do I OPEN a new page (just click on "New" at top??) and then save it under "save as" so that it knows it's linked under my index page and brings this second (and third, and fourth) page up when I open my INDEX page??

Thanks,
    KatieC.

Re: Small "Page" Question ..... (but important)

Originally posted by katieC
    Hi Everyone,

I've watched all the tutorials, (well almost all) and have finished and published my first page (index page). I now need to start my second page, and when I start it, somehow SAVE IT so that it knows it's my "second page to my website"?? How do I OPEN a new page (just click on "New" at top??) and then save it under "save as" so that it knows it's linked under my index page and brings this second (and third, and fourth) page up when I open my INDEX page??

Thanks,
    KatieC.

Alright, to add to this original question here -- I went and started "new page" - and did all work on it. "Saved as" second page was "contactus", third page was "aboutus" etc., I did the "save as" option and saved as I put in quotes above, in the same place on my pc that my index page was saved, and saved it with the "htm." after each page, but when i closed out of BV, and reopened it from my Index page, the other pages that I created along with my index page ..... WERE GONE. I only have my index page showing when I reopen it. So I lost the other pages I was working on. This was MY fault because I tried to do it before getting my question answered so I'm sure I did not "create additional pages to my index linked" properly. But this was my question ..... how in the world, when I put buttons in my index page such as "contact us" -- do I create a page NAMED "contact us"?? Do I go right to "FILE" then "NEW" or what?? How do I open a new page, with the SAME TEMPLATE used in the INDEX page, and then create new items on it such as the "contact information" .... and name it as my "contact us" page - AND HAVE IT OPEN UP WHEN I OPEN MY INDEX PAGE so that I can work on the whole site together??

Gosh I'm so frustrated because I listened to all tutorials that would have pertained to this AND MORE a couple of times, it said how to "name your pages", but not how to "create them" / "start them" ...?? Can anyone help??

Thanks so much ....
    KatieC

Comment

Hello Katie..

You created your pages the right way, but you are unable to open them in BV again simply because youo didn't save them in bvp format.. There was absolutely no need to save your pages in HTML.. no need to add file extension at the end of the file name when you save it BV.. the html file extension is given to each page automatically when you publish your pages..

Create your pages,
      Save them in BV,
      Publish using BV.

and that should do the trick.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Katie

Might be a good idea to highlight this and print it off so you can follow the steps.

1. Open BV

2. New Blank page ...or...Go to File...new page ..blank page

3. Go to Layout ...top of the page next to tools...scroll down to guide settings....Click on ..show guide borders..set width to 800 ..click ok

4. Right Click on blank page..go to page properties

Title ..Contact us
        Page width..800
        Click center in browser button
        Click on background tab and set your background colours text etc then click ok.

5. Go to Insert (top of the page) scroll down to Extras.. click on Navigation bar.

6. Right click on nav bar.. go to properties...click on bluevoda word to highlight it, then click on Edit..

Name ...Contact us..or whatever you want your menu to say...this is how it will appear on your menu.
        Scroll down to URL put in your domain address, for example

Mine would be ...http://www.linsemporium.com/contactus.html

In the URL box your Home page is always called index....
        Click ok

7. Now do the same with the next button
        Click to highlight
        Edit
        Name = Contact us or whatever you want your menu bar to say..About us, home etc.

8. When youve done all your buttons...click on Style tab at the top
        This is the fun bit ...Set your colours text etc and choose your buttons...click ok.

9. Add your content to your page, text, images etc.
        When finished...Right click on a spare part of your page...go to page properties and recheck your page width is still 800 and center in browser button is clicked.

10. Save as..contactus or whatever page your working on...your done!

11. On to your next page

12. File
        13. New page
        14. Blank....and start over ....About us page or whatever, build ...save as...Aboutus.. and so on

When thier all done open each page check your page widths,spelling etc and publish .....

Hope this is a help..sometimes when we get a little knowledge we forget how foriegn this all was in the beginning ...:o)
        Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
        http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Oh my gosh -- linkslady, thank you so much!! This helps me tremendously. I used bluevoda months ago - and had to stop using it and building my site as I was diagnosed with Lupus and had to kind of deal with that at the time, now that I'm better and have overcome this illness, I've gotten back and seems that I've forgotten things that I was doing just fine months ago, you've all been such a wonderful help to me and I thank you all ......

KatieC.

Comment

Hi Katie,

Your welcome and i'm glad your better now ...so get working on that site ;o)

How to Center your page

Comment

Ok, here's what I did ..... please tell me if this is right ..... (and thank you in advance!!)

1) Went to FILE/OPEN/NEW/BLANK .... opened my new page and did my thing

2) Went to page properties and did the thing there making sure the page width was 800 and the height just filled itself in.

3) Went to the background tab and did my thing there with the colors and all, same thing with the other tabs ---- I finished in "Page Properties" so now I'm working on my buttons and how when a person clicks on the FIRST page buttons (there are 4 of them, they are HOME, ABOUT US, EQUIPMENT and CONTACT US)

4) Under the General Tab, I did the "Name" as HOME, ABOUT US, EQUIPMENT and CONTACT US and I named the URL such like this .....
              for the HOME button, the NAME was "HOME" and the URL for that is www.advanced-equipment.com

for the ABOUT US button, the Name is ABOUT US, and the URL for this is www.advanced-equipment.com/aboutus.html
              (there's another space/question that says "TARGET", what is that for and what do I type in there??)

for the EQUIPMENT button, the Name is EQUIPMENT and the URL for this is
              www.advanced-equipment.com/equipment.html (there's another space/question that says "TARGET" .... what is that for and what do I type in there??)

and so on ....

Now, I'm saving EACH PAGE as the same .... the HOME page is obviously the index so that's just staying the same, the ABOUT US page is saved as "aboutus" and the EQUIPMENT page is saved as "equipment" and so on for THAT .... the part I'm confused on, is in the GENERAL TAB under Navigation Bar Properties, where you type the URL and all that .... it has the "edit" button to get these url's in there properly, and it says "Name" / "Alternate Text" / "Link Type" / "URL" / and "TARGET".

What is the "Alternate text" space for, and what is the "Target" space for where you apparently "browse" for a file??

And ..... do I need to call the HOME button, where people are on say a "second or third page" of mine .... and they click the HOME button, do I need to set that button up with a www.advanced-equipment.com/index.html or does it just stay as a .com and i don't need to type in the index.html???

Thanks ..... sorry this is so long, just wanted to make sure this is right ....

KatieC.

Comment

Hi Katie,

Your doing great ..I put my Home URL as http://www.linsemporium.com/index.html

But ive been told you can have it as just .com ....I personally like to put the index.html at the end of mine ...but its up to you .

The Alternative text ...is for brief item description..they help when search engines search your site...so like if you have say an image of a Rose and someone hovers over it ..it will show the words you put on there FE....Roses in bloom....

Targets Explained ...

Blank ...Opens link in a new browser pane (pop up)

Self .. Opens to specific targeted section on the same page.

Parent.. Reopens the orginal page from redirect.

Top ...Opens links page loaded "top of the browser" (default)

But if I were you I would leave that for now ...until you know how you want your pages to open .....it will only confuse you ...I know it did me ...still does actually lol ...so I dont use them yet! lol

Yep youve done everything right...all you have to do now is recheck your page widths 800...then Publish! ;o)

How to Center your page

Comment

Working...
                X