Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get my excel page to work at ALL??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my excel page to work at ALL??

Hi Everyone --

I'm hoping someone can help me here because I've been stuck for two days on this and cannot get this to work --

I've got an excel spreadsheet Investment" that shows customers how much they'll be saving by punching in certain numbers in the areas designated and having this spreadsheet calculate how much they'll be saving. It was created FOR this product that we are selling .... this client based form was created for clients many years ago so it's pretty important to get on this website.

Anyway - I have done a "plethera" of many things trying to get this page into my website VIA LINK -- I typed in words that say *Customer ROI - Click Here!* on my "Services" Page .... I tried to do "Hyperlink" for that .... didn't work, pulled up some page that said "Insta-Finder".

Tried saving this / uploading this to BV-FTP, then pointing to the link there (however I noticed that it was NOT saved as HTML in the FTP directory, I tried to RIGHT CLICK to try and save it as html and then opened it up to see if I could resave it that way and there's really NO WAY TO RESAVE as html once it's uploaded to the ftp site.

Then I tried redoing the hyperlink "questions" where it said to point to, I did "ftp" (as opposed to when I had it saved originally on my SERVER as a webpage and typed in there html file) to have it point to the FTP directory and made sure it was typed EXACTLY AS ftp://and so on ...... STILL DIDN'T WORK.

I'd hate to think there's no way to get this file/this document into my website via a link?? There's got to be something I'm doing wrong or typing wrong when hooking up the hyperlink?? I've watched all the tutorials on http, hyperlinks, FTP -- and a couple of times to where I THOUGHT I'd have no problem doing this??

No matter what I do, I can't pull it through via hyperlink as a WEBPAGE DOCUMENT or as FTP document??

Can ANYONE help me with this or how to get this to work?? Site is www.haydell.com and it's the SERVICES page of the site.

Thank you -- at this point, you'll be my LIFESAVER with this because this started out as a small "how do I do this" and quickly became "how do I do this to GET IT TO WORK" ..... HE HE.

Any help would be appreciated.
    KatieC

Re: Can't get my excel page to work at ALL??

Katie.....
    If you had done some searching, you'd find that importing Excel is one of the straws the camel can't seem to carry.....(read for yourself HERE)
    Besides the issue of importing the formatting into the CSS of BV, you need to also realize that Excel (and Office) is still far from a universal utility: darned if you do, and darned if you don't, but Works might be your answer...I don't know personally, for when I ran up against this and saw the inability for a sound "fix" I simply reformatted my design and went to creating tables instead, in order to not impede my progress at the time.

I think it is still on the Wishlist, and should be addressed in version 9?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
      Katie.....
      If you had done some searching, you'd find that importing Excel is one of the straws the camel can't seem to carry.....(read for yourself HERE)
      Besides the issue of importing the formatting into the CSS of BV, you need to also realize that Excel (and Office) is still far from a universal utility: darned if you do, and darned if you don't, but Works might be your answer...I don't know personally, for when I ran up against this and saw the inability for a sound "fix" I simply reformatted my design and went to creating tables instead, in order to not impede my progress at the time.

I think it is still on the Wishlist, and should be addressed in version 9?
      yes - I DID do some searching and found that OTHERS had valid questions regarding this and people helped them on how to get it to work. In my "SEARCHING" I also tried various other "fix's" to see if that would work and to no avail. THAT'S WHY I FELT I COULD ASK THIS AND HAVE IT BE A VALID QUESTION -- I didn't feel this was a "stupid" question.

In REGARDS to your suggestion, as I stated above, it's not really a file that I can DO that with (meaning I can't "recreate it" in "tables") because it has it's own special qualities that won't be able to be carried over into this "table" method. so ......

I'm hoping that someone can just help me in what I need to be TYPING in the right places -- that's ALL this probably is -- there are "QUESTIONS/BLANKS" when you click that HYPERLINK button that you have to fill in, such as is this an "http", or "file", or "ftp" ..... I need to know what should be in THAT place there, and then the question of how to make sure I'm typing the right thing in where it states blank that you can BROWSE for a file, or type in there either the http address to have it point to that, or the ftp address to have the htm file pointed, and so on.

Seeing that OTHERS have had help with this, and there are a lot of good ideas that have WORKED for people in the past as I saw when I SEARCHED (thank you again for that advice, I appreciate it), I thought that maybe someone here would be able to help me with this also.

Is there someone that can just help me in making sure that this file is typed in properly, or walk me through the right "guidelines" here as to what to make sure I've got IN the hyperlink area of questions, I'd appreciate it. I think it's something that I'm not "pointing to" right.

Also, is there a way to SAVE (as I saw when SEARCHING for this same question) the file once uploaded in FTP to html as opposed to htm?? I've tried to RIGHT click and it just won't let me RESAVE or RENAME the one file there (the excel file) so that I can make it HTML .....??

Thanks again -- I know this is a touchy issue because I DID search and saw a couple of questions in pasting excel files to your website. (I also have faith that I can somehow find a way to make sure I'm typing things in correctly! lol) .... I'm sure if I can get that file in FTP that I uploaded - RESAVED to HTML as opposed to HTM ..... it should point to that ftp file?? Also, when you click on the 'HYPERLINK' button at top of BV page, it asks you the "extension" or file .... meaning is it "html" or "ftp" or "file" .... so I need to know when trying these "fix's" out, what needs to be in that space and then the CORRECT WAY of typing in the address (THE FILE I NEED IT TO POINT TO) so that it correctly LOOKS for this stated file.

Thanks everyone ..... you have all been so helpful - I appreciate it.

Katie

Thank you for replying, (Vasilli) I'm sorry my "questions" upset you? I have no intention of picking out "one person" in this whole site to just frustrate, believe me. So I hope that you'll accept my apologies for this and for asking this question or not following or finding my answer or "way" in fixing this problem. I'm sure that there's a "block" function on tools or something here that you can block my questions from coming up so that they don't upset you even more .... again, I'm sorry - honestly.

Comment

No worries, Katie...I was just trying to let you know I too, struggled with this and found no way to do even the simplest of things, which forced me into a completely new redesign...

If you wish to upload an Excel file to your server and have a link on your site for visitors to access, then you will need to upload it via BlueFTP, as you wondered aloud previously. I am pretty sure you can even prefer to have your Excel file on your server and have your visitors even download it, if you would like. I know that if you find the solutions for downloading PDF files, the same logic can be applied to Excel??? And you just make regular links in BV (_blank means new pop-up browser, etc.).

And....there is no "stupid" questions with regard to building a website, especially here in VodaLand. We all take this process so very personally, and it seems the largest of our frustrations come from stumbling over what we consider the least of details......no one knows that more than me! LOL
        Maybe when you find a way that works well you would let me in on it, for I would certainly appreciate it and be able to make immediate use of one.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

1) Download winzip
          2) Zip the excel file
          3) Upload the zipped excel file to your public_html

Make sure the excel file has a short one word name all in small letters "money" for example.

4) Your download url will now be YourSite.com/money.zip

place this url on your site or give it out. Anyone who clicks on it will start the download of the zip containing the excel.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Got it zipped and uploaded to my public_html folder.

Now -- I just put the link www.haydell.com/roi.zip on my website somewhere and people will be able to download it???

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
              1) Download winzip
              2) Zip the excel file
              3) Upload the zipped excel file to your public_html

Make sure the excel file has a short one word name all in small letters "money" for example.

4) Your download url will now be YourSite.com/money.zip

place this url on your site or give it out. Anyone who clicks on it will start the download of the zip containing the excel.

I DID IT!! The only problem though, is when I typed in the URL of
              www.haydell.com/ROI.zip
              ...... and published it, it won't let me CLICK ON it?? It's just like WORDS typed on a page?? Why won't the URL work?? Is there something left I have to do? Do I have to right click on the URL when I'm done typing it into my page and go to "properties" or something??

Is it properties, then click the drop-down box and choose the FTP and then type in the OTHER box below: ftp://www.haydell.com/roi.zip????

GOSH I'M SO CLOSE ...???

There is
              LINK
              URL
              TARGET
              BOOKMARK

What do I type in all of these -- this is what I get when I RIGHT CLICK on the typed words www.haydell.com/roi.zip and the FIRST drop down box gives me choices of whether it's FTP, or HTTP, or FILE???

I must have done something wrong, because it's still not working????

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU -- please let me know what's left to do ....

KatieC

Comment

Hi, only an idea for a later date. But I noticed Google are letting you make spreadsheets’ that you can invite friends or customers to either 1. View only or 2. Edit. I have only just started looking at it, but if it works like their calendar I will be happy.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=wise&passive=true&nui=1&conti nue=http%3A%2F%2Fspreadsheets.google.com%2Fccc%3Fn ew

Good luck.

Chris.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I can click ok on your link, though the link it self is wrong (the file is ROI.zip, whilst the link is refering to "roi.zip".

However, in IE it works, in FF it gives me a 530 error: maybe you have set the URL to be ftp ? it should be http.

So, LINK = http
                  URL = http://www.haydell.com/ROI.zip
                  Target: leave blanck
                  Bookmark: leave blank
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                    Hi, only an idea for a later date. But I noticed Google are letting you make spreadsheets’ that you can invite friends or customers to either 1. View only or 2. Edit. I have only just started looking at it, but if it works like their calendar I will be happy.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=wise&passive=true&nui=1&conti nue=http%3A%2F%2Fspreadsheets.google.com%2Fccc%3Fn ew

Good luck.

Chris.

In some cases and this is one of the cases....If the the cow does not moo , don't milk it.....Or else you will be milking all day long

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                      I can click ok on your link, though the link it self is wrong (the file is ROI.zip, whilst the link is refering to "roi.zip".

However, in IE it works, in FF it gives me a 530 error: maybe you have set the URL to be ftp ? it should be http.

So, LINK = http
                      Works just fine in firefox......

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign

So, LINK = http
                        OK!! I GOT IT!! I got it on the page -- can someone go to www.haydell.com and click on the SERVICES page - then scroll down to the zip file -- click on IT ..... you see once you UNZIP the file you can see the excel file that I wanted there ....

ONE PROBLEM --

The way the "file" is - you are supposed to be able to click in the yellow boxes there and input your own numbers (customers should be able to utilize the form by clicking and inputting their own numbers to see the calculated results), and then the EXCEL FILE "calculates" itself the way it's set up, and gives you a RESULT of what amount you would save, depending on the numbers you input.

It seems that once we did this to get the file on the website, it took that function away? Was it because it changed it to an HTML file that now it won't "work"?? It was kind of the purpose of the file - to show customers by calculation, what they would be saving by inputting their own numbers in the page?

Is there a way to get this function to work like it was meant/like it did when it was an excel "file"??

Gosh, you'd think that getting an excel file into a website would be an easy thing? At least that's what people think when you look at it it looks simple to just "cut and paste the file" in there??

There MUST be a way to get this "functionality" to work?? Does anyone have any suggestions?? Now that I got the file ON the website, how do we get it to WORK the way it's supposed to?

And now that it's a zipped file, if a person doesn't have WINZIP does that mean they can't view/utilize the file?? Is there something that I can put on my website (IF THIS WORKS FUNCTIONALLY WHERE I WILL LEAVE IT ON THE SITE) that will help people to download the WINZIP for a free trial or something??

Thanks -- seems like just a few more "tweeks" and this should be done??

You guys are all AWESOME -- I CAN'T BELIEVE how smart you all are with this and HOW HELPFUL!! I'm SO grateful for all of you.

Katie C

Comment

Ok, still can't get this to work --?? Is there a way to get this file to do what it was created FOR?? It needs to be able to "Calculate totals" for the customer that inserts their numbers in the cells?? For some reason, when the GET the file (or read it and pull it up) - it does not allow them to do the calculations?? It won't let you click on the YELLOW CELLS to input your numbers??

any help here???

Comment

I can't input data either. So I thought I'd try an excel page myself. It works.
                            Go to my web site, and then paste in
                            http://www.harrow-art.com/Book1.htm
                            There is a simple spreadsheet which adds 2 figures.
                            I did this by following instructions in the attached pdf file, and ftp'ing the file.
                            (Instructions are at the end under Interactive Web Documents)

Have fun
                            Royden

www.harrow-art.com
                            www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Ok, you are a bit confused. Let me explain:

Excel files, as any type files, can have their functionality intact as long as the visitor has the same software. So your visitor must hae Excel installed in order to be able to work with an excel file, Word if he needs to download and work with a Word file, and so on.

So:
                              1. Save your ROI file in Excel's native format. There is no need to zip it.
                              2. Use a simple, one word name (as you have done, naming it "ROI")
                              3. Upload this file on your site. Do NOT convert it in HTML
                              4. Link directly to the file: so your link will be http://www.haydell.com/ROI.xls

That's all. If your visitor has excell installed on his computer, by clicking on the link, Excel will open with the file already infront of him.
                              Navaldesign
                              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                              X