Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdf converter ....

Hi all ---
    I just downloaded a pdf converter which converts pdf to html .... I saw in a previous post and read through the ENTIRE post and this is what someone did when they had PDF Files that they needed to put on their website.

Questions:
    1) Is this really my only option of getting this pdf brochure with letters and pictures (it's a booklet/brochure in color about 8 pages) into my website using a "link"??

2) Once I "convert" this file (haven't done it yet, not even sure HOW to do it but I'm going to give it a whirl) -- and do the LINK, do I have to upload the file via FTP to my public html folder or do I just do it from a "file"?

3) Here are my choices and what it asks me when I start creating this link:

Drop down: (choices) "File", or "http", or "FTP"
    space for URL:
    Target:
    Bookmark:

What do I need to put here in these to make sure it points to the right file using each of these methods?

I've tried just uploading the pdf to my public folder, and pointed the LINK once again to try and find it, and it sends me to this "Insta-Finder" page, it's just not working so I thought I'd try this.

I've done a search and this was pretty much all I found on getting pdf's up on the web ---

Thanks -
    Katie

Re: pdf converter ....

Upload the file to the server. Note- sometimes when transfering it capitalizes the PDF. So be sure to check that the file has reached the server and how it is listed . You can do this with the FTP Manager.

Then simply create a link to the file. The link can be a button or text.
    If the file is named- MyFile.pdf

Then you would link to it like so:
    http: //www.yourdomain.com/MyFile.pdf

Now when someone clicks on the link- they will be prompted to open or save to their computer.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
      Upload the file to the server. Note- sometimes when transfering it capitalizes the PDF. So be sure to check that the file has reached the server and how it is listed . You can do this with the FTP Manager.

Then simply create a link to the file. The link can be a button or text.
      If the file is named- MyFile.pdf

Then you would link to it like so:
      http: //www.yourdomain.com/MyFile.pdf

Now when someone clicks on the link- they will be prompted to open or save to their computer.

Andy
      yep, that's exactly what I did and it didn't work .... it's www.haydell.com then the PRODUCTS page -- and it's there after the first paragraph.

The next question-maybe I have THIS part wrong, where it asks in the drop down menu when creating this link - these questions, what do I need to make sure it is???

DROP DOWN: it asks if it's a "File", "Html", "FTP" and so on .... I had chosen FILE for this one,

then, it has a spot where you can browse for a file or put your
      URL: (I have ----->) www.haydell.com/blowthermextra.pdf (and I checked in my public folder, all is good - it's there and it's all lowercase)

Then there's a place for choosing "_Self" or "_Blank" or "_New" .... not sure what to do with THAT drop down box there .....

Then there's a "Target" question there ...??

Can you tell me what should be in each of these??

Gosh, this would be SO MUCH EASIER than doing some converter and so on ..... I just can't get it to work .... if you need to check it out, it's www.haydell.com and it's on the PRODUCTS page, at the bottom click the CONTINUE button and it will take you to where this link is.

Katie

Comment

Here's what I did -- still NOT working:

Uploaded the file (pdf) to the public_html folder via blueFTP. Checked to make sure it was all lowercase, it's all good.

Clicked and highlighted the typed words to create a LINK and for
        Link Type: "File"
        URL: www.haydell.com/blowthermextra.pdf

Still not working, still brings me to some "Insta-Finder" Site after "thinking" for quite some time.

What might I be doing wrong??

kc

Comment

I opened it just fine. Nice looking pdf file. Perhaps it is a restriction placed from a setting on your computer or from antivirus, spyware or default pdf program. Hard to tell. Maybe try link type of http:

It works fine for me.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

I opened it just fine. Nice looking pdf file. Perhaps it is a restriction placed from a setting on your computer or from antivirus, spyware or default pdf program. Hard to tell. Maybe try link type of http:

It works fine for me.

Andy
            Andy (or anyone?) ----
            Can you try it again?? I played around with it trying to get it to work and might have "changed it" after you went to it?? I am using IE and canNOT get it to pull up -- I've tried EVERYTHING and was ABOUT to zip the file and upload it to public and Link it that way, until I just saw THIS message that you got to it fine?

Now I have to see if you can still get to it - GO BACK AND SEE WHAT I HAVE TYPED IN THERE, and remember it for the NEXT one because I can't apparently see what I'm doing here??

Can you try it again, tell me if you can see ALL THE LINKS ok?? It's the BLOWTHERM EXTRA one that I'm MOST worried about (not to mention the UPCOMING pdf files I have to do this with? How am I ever going to be able to tell if they are working??)

I'll wait to see your post to see if it's working or not - PRODUCTS page, go down to bottom to CONTINUE, then 2nd products page where states BLOWTHERM ....

katie --

Comment

KATIE, What did I tell you about the funky fonts????

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
                KATIE, What did I tell you about the funky fonts????
                I'm sorry?? I don't believe I've been doing ANYTHING with the fonts - mine is set here on Verdana, 2. Is that NOT ok?

Were you trying to answer my "question" here in the post?? I'm not sure I understood your reply to my "question"?

Were you able to get to the site, then to click on the link on the second page that states "Blowtherm Brochure"?? Can you see and pull up the pdf document or do I have to zip this one too??

Thanks
                kate

Comment

I went to the site and clicked on the link. It downloaded as a zip and was opened fine.

The other link "return on investment" will no work dynamically. In other words- they will not be able to fill in the blanks with their own input. I believe this is what you were trying to accomplish. This can be set up in a php form and that is my recomendation. A member on the forum- Whatdaflip- has a script writing service and is very good. Several members here have used his service for both big and small projects. You can read about it here:
                  http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/ser...g-service.html

Cheers-

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

I went to the site and clicked on the link. It downloaded as a zip and was opened fine.

The other link "return on investment" will no work dynamically. In other words- they will not be able to fill in the blanks with their own input. I believe this is what you were trying to accomplish. This can be set up in a php form and that is my recomendation. A member on the forum- Whatdaflip- has a script writing service and is very good. Several members here have used his service for both big and small projects. You can read about it here:
                    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/ser...g-service.html

Cheers-

Andy
                    Hey Andy --

I clicked on the link, went to his site and can't seem to figure out a way to "get ahold" of him? There's also no contact info on the site either. Do you know of a way??

Also -- is this "problem" that I'm having with excel, a COMMON problem with websites?? And as a "NOVICE", would doing this form in BV be completely out of my range??

Thanks -
                    Katie

Comment

I just thought of another GREAT idea .... tell me if this will work ....

Is there a way I can have or set up a link so that people can DOWNLOAD THIS EXCEL SPREADSHEET, AND SAVE IT TO THEIR SERVER - AND GET IT TO WORK FOR THEM????

That would be nice, I'll just put a little "note" that this file is a DOWNLOAD

or

"Click here to download your Personal Savings Chart"

or

"Click here to download - you save to YOUR desktop and you will be able to complete the form to view your OWN results!!"

................. see what I mean?? To have it THERE and this way customers can DOWNLOAD the form to get it to work in THEIR excel program???

Oh gosh - I hope I've hit something here ....
                      Please let me know

Comment

Yes this is very possible. Keep in mind that the person who downloads it must have excel on their computer in order to open it. That would be the only drawback.

I still believe that having Whatdaflip set up a form that people can fill in the blanks and hit submit to receive an aswer is the best bet. It would work much the same as the mortgage calculator forms that you see out there.

Anyway- just a thought.

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Working...
                        X