my webpage is lagging ... help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my webpage is lagging ... help :)

A lot of people have been coming to my page and complaining about it lagging .. in other words, when they scroll down -- it isn't smooth ... it takes time and stutters ... www.handicappinggames.com ...

i've already submitted a support ticket ... every time i've complained in the past they have said it is my caching badly .. does this mean that everyone that comes to my site is caching badly? Everyone i've spoken to has said it has to be a host issue ... please help guys

Re: my webpage is lagging ... help :)

It's not a host issue. Once the page downloads- it is on your computer. When you move it- that is done by your computer and the browser. If a page is large (file size) and your pictures are large- then that would create lag.

Check out this web-page optimization checker.
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Picture files are usually the source of web load problems.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy -- thanks bud ... so, i guess the problem is that I have too much on the page? Break it down to me in lamen terms ... i'm a dumb sports handicapper -- not a smart computer person :)

Comment

Well- before I would go changing a lot of stuff, lets conduct a test. Go to a friends house and see what they are seeing. It may be a neglegible thing. Are their computers old?

How does it appear on your computer?

I test my pages on dial up. I have a net zero account that is free. You get like 60 minutes per month of internet access. Plenty to test pages.

It loads fine for me and there is minimal lag when scrolling (I have seen far worse).

If you find it unacceptable- then post back here and we'll give some things to try. If you want to play around with some things- clone your index page and save it as testpage. Then change the colors around a bit and maybe delete your largest pictures (the large blue shape, grey shape and white shape.) Then publish the testpage to the server. To view it- simply type in its address in the address bar.
        http://www.handicappinggames.com/testpage.html

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

As Andy mentioned, there is nothing wrong with the host.

I have broadband and your pages load very quickly, your home page is longer than most (2466) but had no problems scrolling. A lot of computer users dont realize that they need to periodically 'clean' their computers, cache, cookies and history create clutter. After clean all that (from an IE page Tools > Internet Options, etc) test your page again. You might also want to defrag your hard drive.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I didn't have trouble with that either - but I'm going to warn you - you are spamming your meta keywords. SE's rarely look at those to help you anymore, but there is still the belief that they know when they are being spammed and can use it against you. White hat SEO will always win in the end.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth, how do you know that? How can I tell if I am doing it?
              www.hawaiionyourown.com

Comment

Your top 3 pictures are part of the stuttering problem. Run them thru Pixresizer to reduce their file size, not dimension size. This should help.

If you haven't got Pixresizer, then you can get it for free at
                [http://bluefive.pair.com/]
                Royden

www.harrow-art.com
                www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Beth knows that because she clicked View>Source in IE and saw that the site had about 500 keywords.

So just in case someone did a search on "kitchen sink' they would get a hit on hadicappinggames.com. Ha.
                  Royden

www.harrow-art.com
                  www.harrow.co.za

Comment

I just visited your site and it is running smooth as butter. If you users are still using dial up, it may be to complex for theirs to load quickly, but I think your's is running fine.

Scolling was quick and loading other pages was instant. Any other particular complaints?

Comment

Please just humour me for a minute. I don't personally see a scrolling problem, because I have a speedy connection.
                      The photo of Dawgstud is 2521 bytes, and the photo of Bigslick is 51,958 bytes. It would be better for those folk who are still on dial up if anyone's web pages were kept as small as possible.
                      Happy handicapping.
                      Regards
                      Royden

www.harrow-art.com
                      www.harrow.co.za

Comment

well looks like you covered the lag issue it scrolls perfectly and the site looks good as well. good job.
                        "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

Working...
                        X