password protect website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password protect website

Hi, I am in the process of building a website where we need our clients to login with a password for certain pages only. I have absolutely no idea of how to go about this and wonder if anybody can point me in the direction of any tutorials etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Re: password protect website

Afraid I don't know the answer but I want to do the same so I'll drop by your question from time to time to see if there is an answer I can use as well! (I use Soholaunch and it does give some private areas but I would like to make entire pages for customers only) Good Luck

Metaldoc (Ian)

Comment

only problem with that is that you have to manually add them and if they want a password on their own and cannot create it and given to them by you then too them you have access to their password and if they lose it they have to go to you to get it providing you have it stored some where.
      "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

Thank you for your replies. My other question is now you put the login box on your website.......... stupid I know, but.....

Jan

Comment

If you password protect a directory, you don't need to do anything: the login box will show up automatically when someone tries to access the protected pages. If you are using a login script, you must follow the instructions that come with it.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I think there needs to be a complete video on password protection from start to finish. the current tutorial leaves too many questions.
            i put a page into my pw protected directory but for some reason anyone can still access the page. I must have missed named the page but I can't figure it out b/c the answers seem to be scattered everywhere.

also, how does one start a new thread?

Comment

islandpup-

Perhaps posting your page and url and we will take a look to see what went awry.

Starting a new thread is easy. Go to a section / topic that suits your question and then in the upper left you will see "New Thread".

The password protection is really straight forward. Password protect a folder and then publish those pages that you want pass protected into that folder. As Navaldesign said- if you wish to have them gain access by signing up and creating their own password- there are plenty of scripts avaliable on the internet to accomplish this.

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

okay, for whatever reason the "new thread" thing is baffling me. I must be blind, i need a blinking button. :) I just don't see it.
                anyway, I did figure out the pw protection somewhat. my site is "lowcountrydigs.com". on the home page "index" there is a little dog running across the top right. if you click on this dog, you enter the pw protected area.
                The password thing works (user schultz, pw $chultz) but the page is all messed up- almost entirely black. I can not get the colors to publish.
                I am guessing that the page I work on is named incorrectly. when i make changes and republish, nothing changes (it's not the cached thing, i fixed that)
                the pw protected page is called "photos", I need to name it something else yes???

Comment

islandpup,

I am unsure what you are doing that is causing the page to be black. I would delete the page and re-create it (also deleting it from the server before publishing the new one). Sometimes the only way to figure out a problem is to start over. Additionally- this may or may not be a problem, but I would not start out a password with a symbol. I know in certain instances, this can cause problems in coding.

One thing I have noticed- your keyword you are using. They will not help you get noticed by the search engines. In fact- you will be penalized by google. Beth has put together a nice e-book that hits the highlights of great Search Engine Optimization (SEO). You can find it here:
                  http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sea...ee-e-book.html

The reason I mention it is that you have a nice site and I wish you much success. I took Beths advice and in just three months, I am in the top 5 seach results in many of my keywords/phrases.

Just an FYI

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,
                    thanks for the help.
                    are there instructions i could follow to delete and redo the pw protection thing? i literally had to search 20 threads to determine what to do. i probably did everything out of order. i am not even really sure i could recreate what i did.
                    thanks for the tips.

Comment

okay, i have tried it all. i can't make this work. anyone else have any ideas. what would be very helpful is step by step instructions on how to complete this "easy" task. (I am sure it is easy too, BV usually is, i just don't get it)
                      I don't understand how to name a password protected page...it can't be the same as the other pages.

Comment

islandpup-
                        You can only password protect a folder. If you have 10 pages in that folder- then each page has the same password / user name for that folder.

If you have ten pages and each has to be individually password protected- you will have to place each page in seperate folder and password protect each folder.

Does that clear things up a little? Will be glad to help futher if needed. Just post back.

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Pages in password protected folders are excactly the same type as non ptotected ones. Page names follow excactly the same rules.
                          The procedure is:

1. Create a folder, either using FTP or File Manager through CP
                          2. Enter your CP, Click on Password Protect Directories, And a new page, with all the folders existing in your public_html will appear. Click on the folder you want to protect, Click on the folder and follow the instructions. At a certain point you will be presenred a screen where you can add or delete users and passwords, and also definr the protected resource name (what will appear n the top of the loggin window). That's all

Also, you can use a loggin script to check for authorised users.
                          Navaldesign
                          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

i did all of that. and it certainly sounds easy. but, I give up for now.
                            i have got the page (only one page pw protected for now) coming up looking right, but now the pw protection does not work.
                            it just does not want to work with me tonight. i will try again tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                            X