Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Need blocking for download pages

Hello Support:

I need help to properly block my download pages from stealers!

I saw something somewhere about blocking what shows up as an Index list for directories. I have Stat Counter installed and it just showed me that someone in Uganda helped themselves that way.

I need help in a hurry to implement a blocking or protection of some kind!

Advice is much appreciated!

WebMagic

Re: URGENT: Need blocking for download pages

Everything that is not password protected can be downloaded. If someone types in his browser http://www.yoursite.com/foldername a list with all the folder content will come up, unless you
    1. publish in that folder an "index" page, even a blank one. Most large companies publish an index page with a piece of redirect code that redirects to their homepage,

or

2. Go in you control panel, click the "Index Manager" and make your folder non indexable.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
      Everything that is not password protected can be downloaded. If someone types in his browser http://www.yoursite.com/foldername a list with all the folder content will come up, unless you
      1. publish in that folder an "index" page, even a blank one. Most large companies publish an index page with a piece of redirect code that redirects to their homepage,

or

2. Go in you control panel, click the "Index Manager" and make your folder non indexable.
      Thanks, navaldesign,

1. I saw how to make a folder non-indexable. Does that affect access by signees who are sent to a specific URL by my autoresponder to pick up their bonuses? Do I have to change URL's within my autoresponder account?

2. My second issue is that I have specific files that are also listed in my autoresponder, but are not in any folder or directory - just basic Blue Voda pages. These are not listed in my Sitemap files. How do I protect just a file, and still have it accessible by a signed in new contact?

3. Do I need to move all such file pages into a new directory or folder and non-index it? then provide new URL's to the autoresponder?

This is my first website, and many things about how and what to protect are new and confusing to me. I thought if I didn't put a page on my sitemap, it wouldn't be found. (

Greatly appreciate your further comments.

Thanks,
      WebMagic

Comment

1. I saw how to make a folder non-indexable. Does that affect access by signees who are sent to a specific URL by my autoresponder to pick up their bonuses? Do I have to change URL's within my autoresponder account?

Making a folder non-indexable will NOT affect your links. They will continue to work as normal. The only difference about this folder is that even without an "index" page, the content will not show-up (which is the desired effect). Please note that making a folder non indexable, simply hides your files from a simple browser search, it doesn't protect your files from download, if the visitor already knows the link to those files.

2. My second issue is that I have specific files that are also listed in my autoresponder, but are not in any folder or directory - just basic Blue Voda pages. These are not listed in my Sitemap files. How do I protect just a file, and still have it accessible by a signed in new contact?

If you don't have these files in a protected (Attention! protected, not simply non-indexable) folder, there are different ways of setting a username and password, in order to allow only people that have signed up, to access them.
        a. A login script
        b. A login service (available through the net: make a research)

3. Do I need to move all such file pages into a new directory or folder and non-index it? then provide new URL's to the autoresponder?

If you password protect the single pages, then there is no need to move then in a non indexable folder. The visitor will not be able anyway to download the files, unless he has signed up and knows the necessary username and password. The same goes for files in a protected folder.
        Of course, much also depends on your signup method. If it is an automatic one, which assigns usernames and passwords automatically, i would say that this not much of a protection. A semi automatic method where you confirm manually their subscription, would be better (even though they can also declare non true details). Whatever is the method you choose, the next step would be either an autoresponder mail or a manual email (for subscription approval) with the username and password as well as the links to the files or pages. So i beleive that your best solution would be: create a protected folder. Move the files and/or pages that you want to protect in this folder, then let your subscribers know the necessary username and password.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Again, my thanks navaldesign. That helps a great deal.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the username and password info to signees in the cleanest, simplest way possible.

I'll be working on it.

Smiles,
          WebMagic

Comment

Working...
          X