Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very curious...

Hi gang,

Been reading lots between the lines in these forums the past couple days..one queston keeps coming to my mind..WHY would a person want to have two or more domain names for the same website? I can't figure that out, maybe you can give me some ideas?

Thanks!
    Leeza

Re: I'm very curious...

Leeza,
    One of the main reasons is so that a competitor won't buy a name that is very close to your own. You can purchase the similar names and have them all directed to your main site - so if people enter the other by mistake, they still come to you. That's why many buy the .net of something they already have the .com for.

Some people build more than one site for the same purpose. IMO that's a mistake and they'd be better off working to build the main site to it's full potential. Having multiple sites and optimizing them for the same keywords is only diluting each sites chance of getting top position in the se's. And if the se's see the sites as the same - they'll be considered "mirror" sites and it will hurt both.

I'm in favor of doing the first, though - and I own quite a few domain names myself, although not as many doing that as I'd sometimes like :)
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Re: I'm very curious...

Originally posted by Bethers
      Leeza,
      One of the main reasons is so that a competitor won't buy a name that is very close to your own. You can purchase the similar names and have them all directed to your main site - so if people enter the other by mistake, they still come to you. That's why many buy the .net of something they already have the .com for.

Some people build more than one site for the same purpose. IMO that's a mistake and they'd be better off working to build the main site to it's full potential. Having multiple sites and optimizing them for the same keywords is only diluting each sites chance of getting top position in the se's. And if the se's see the sites as the same - they'll be considered "mirror" sites and it will hurt both.

I'm in favor of doing the first, though - and I own quite a few domain names myself, although not as many doing that as I'd sometimes like :)
      Ahhhhh haaa. I see. Good idea. Thanks, Beth!
      Leeza

Comment

Working...
      X