Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i download new index ..... etc

Hi All --
    Here's a question that might be hard or easy, hopefully it's easy. If I've made changes to my pages (INDEX, and the others) that are the html pages that I work on in my bv website builder, and I've made the changes to them using a different ftp process .... how do I access those pages (I'm assuming I ftp to the site to access them that way?) and then DOWNLOAD them back into my bv website builder so that I can continue working on them THERE. ????

More simply, I made changes to my website using a java application and changed each page, I added a little mini "movie" at the top of each page, and I ftp'd to the pages using an ftp program -- but now I want to work on the pages (the ones that I added to using the other ftp program), the NEW BETTER pages, and don't know how to get THOSE pages back into my bv website builder. Do I open the bv website builder, ftp to the public html folder and somehow download them BACK into the website builder so I can continue to work on them?? How do I download those back to myself in the bv builder??

See my dilemma?? I'm confused about how to get the new and improved pages back so that I can work on them, when the pages I have saved in the builder now aren't the new and improved pages??

Thanks -- I can't work on them until I retrieve them from the public html pages ..... ??

Katie C

Re: how do i download new index ..... etc

I think you ftp the html back to your computer,
    select 'insert, html, properties, import' then select the html file

Think I did it that way once but I'm not sure how well all that works.

Katy....where's your picture? Didn't you get the memo!
    Brad Arnold.......
    www.baldwincomusic.com
    www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
    !Free Search Engine Submission!
    Talking Avatar for your web site!
    Free sound editor
    Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Ok, gosh I don't know how to fix what I did ...... I changed my index page using another computer and and what I did was ftp'd to the site -changed the index and now that I'm back home I can pull up my changes?? I downloaded my index page back to my system, but because I didn't save it in the bv web-builder I can't get it back??

I go to file, then open, then exhisting page - and when I click on INDEX, it brings up my old index page and NOT the new one that I made changes to?? I don't know how to save the file as a bv file?? I can't even open my INDEX page in bv?? What do I do??

Comment

That's right, when you open the file in bv, you are looking only at
        that computer. You might need to go to the other computer and
        save the index file (along with any new content), to disk, cd, or
        flash drive and load it into your home computer and work on it
        that way. Or, you might put in a support ticket and have them
        reset it back to where it was a few days ago.
        Brad Arnold.......
        www.baldwincomusic.com
        www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
        !Free Search Engine Submission!
        Talking Avatar for your web site!
        Free sound editor
        Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

I just lost it. It was a really nice webpage and I did an animation on it. Then saved it to the index. Well when I got back home and ftp up to the site to GET that index page that I made all nice and all, I downloaded it, then there was no way for me to OPEN it in BV. When I went to open the index page that I had made changes to, it only opened the old one on my system. I had no way to open the index.html that I was working on at work and the one I had done the animations on. I just lost it. It's gone now. At least I know that with BV you can't go and work on pages in dreamweaver or something and then think you're going to be able to continue working on them in bluevoda when you open it.

I'm so sad I lost that. That means that any changes that might be made to the MAIN INDEX.HTML in public_html .... you have no way to open the index page in bv to continue to work on it. It will only revert back to the old one on your computer. Even when I DID download it to my computer.

I didn't know that. I thought you could do things with the index page and then recall them in bv once downloaded, to "continue" working on them.

KatieC

Comment

KatieC,
            Refresh our memories, what is your website?

If you published it not all is lost. Go back to BV and recover as indicated above by Brad.
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

you won't see it on my website -it's www.haydell.com

remember, I had to just keep the OLD index page because all the changes I made to JUST the INDEX.HTML and then ftp'd it up to the public_html -- went home to the home computer, opened BV and then opened my INDEX page, and boom -- it's the OLD index page. Not the one I made changes to on my friend's computer. And even though I used a friend's computer - I still saved the INDEX page ... obviously, i saved it to the public_html. Basically I just replaced the index page, with another BETTER one. But when I came home to open it in blue voda, it only opens the old one. I have no way to open the index page in the public_html folder because it's not a .bv file.

Comment

If you haven't overwritten the new page by publishing the old one again - it's still there as published in the control panel and you can do as Brad said.

What is in you Blue Voda file is only on YOUR computer - and yes, you can open the index page in the public_html file - follow the instructions.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

yes Bethers, I tried that. I DOWNLOADED that new index page to MY COMPUTER. (Yes, through the control panel). Then I "followed directions" to open the index page. But when you go to BV, click on FILE, then OPEN, there is no way to open that index page. Just because I downloaded it (shouldn't it have asked me "you already have index.html, do you want to replace it with this new one?" ????) -- it still doesn't open in bv.

I went to file, open then I clicked on INDEX .... and the problem is, all of my pages are saved as .bvp

I have
                  index.bvp
                  aboutus.bvp
                  nitrotherm.bvp
                  blowtherm.bvp

Ok, when I go and open the INDEX.BVP -- it isn't the right one. Obviously because when I changed it on my friends computer, and added a nice animation, then uploaded it to the public_html folder by using his ftp program,
                  *I could not save it as the .bvp like the other files are, and I can't just open the index.html file in bv, it has to be one of the .bvp pages that I have*

I can always have my friend ftp it up again, but it does me no good when I can't open it up in BV to keep working on it like I do those other pages --

Comment

Working...
                  X