Video & '.exe' problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video & '.exe' problems

Can anybody possibly give me any advice regarding publishing videos on my website?

The problem is not so much the actual publishing process but the fact that the videos don’t show up immediately when the web page is visited.

I have about two and a half minutes of screen capture using Camtasia. But when the webpage is opened all that is visible is a black screen.

How can I make the video show up straight away. I’ve been told to use ‘streaming’ but this option does not show up on the file download (from Vodahost).

I also have enormous problems trying to get my e-book as a downloadable link. I’ve looked through the forum and found previous references to this topic but I still can’t get it to work.

I’ve put the original ‘.exe’ into the public_html file. I’ve even opened up a new file and put the ‘.exe’ file into that as well but still no luck.

I would greatly appreciate your help in these matters.

Re: Video & '.exe' problems

I might be able to help with the video streaming..

What format are those video files saved in..?? and do you have the flexibility to change their format is required..?

Comment

Hi ez-ez,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

You'll have to forgive my lack of technical savvy but I'll try to answer your question.

The files from Camtasia are in '.avi' form and I used the 'Windows Media Player' option from the Vodahost web building page.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok.. lets try this.. 2 to 3 minute videos should be that much of an effort to direct stream... avi is a little too big for my liking though.. Lets try opening one of those files in Media Player (just the normal media palyer on your pc.. then lets go to file>> save as>> and just save it as a Windows Media Video.. we'll see if that gives us a .wmv file.
        Once we have that, all we need to do is upload it into the the exact location on the server where you want it to sit (the directory you want it to be stored.. ie, public_htm.. or public_html/videos... etc). The next step is to embed that into your pages in BV.. but that's simple and we'll handle it when we get there.

Comment

I haven't gone away - It's just that I'm somewhat technically challenged!

Sorry to take so long but when I open Windows Player and select the particular file it only gives me the option of saving it as 'any file'

But bare with me please and I'll get it sorted.

Comment

Yes iandian.. that will do... it will save it as wmv anyways.

Comment

Hi ez-ez,

I think I cracked it, mate!

I'm not quite sure what I did but it loads much faster now. In fact I went back to the Camtasia suite and downloaded (changed it) to a '.wmv' from there.

Curiously enough I have a 'strip' of 4 two and a half minute videos and somehow Camtasia loaded them all together. So now I have a video that is over 9 minutes in length but loads much quicker than the 2 minute one.

I still have to sort out the e-book thingy (see, I told you I was technically challenged!) so I'll get to that next.

Thanks very, very much for your help it is much appreciated I can assure you.

All the best,
              Ian

Comment

You're welcome Ian.. always remember that videos are best in wmv for streaming if you want to use Media Player...

Let me see if I can handle the e-book thingy and I'll let you know. also, if you can post a url that we can look at then that would also help.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi ez-ez,

I'm actually working on the webpage at this very moment.

But it would be great if you could have a look and see if the video downloads O.K. or if you have any problems as I hope to finish it tomorrow.

I might completely change it by then but as long as the video is O.K. then I'll be happy.

Cheers.

Comment

Ian.. I see that there is a video supposed to be called untitled.wmv.. but it's not loading.

Have you uploaded the video file to the server..??
                    are the names of the video file on the server and the embeded media player identical..??

Comment

ok.. yes.. I can see that the video file is called Untitled.wmv.. it loaded very quickly on my media player.. it didn't load o the webpage though. I think I know what to do.. in the media player on your bv page, you have the file source as Untitles.wmv.. thats cool, but sometimes this isent enough... so lets try adding the entire url address... in the media player properties where it asks for the file names, put this:

http://www.stock-market-money-machine.com/Untitled.wmv

That should get it going.

Comment

O.K.

What I've done is go to 'Files' and where is says 'open URL address' put it in there with the address that you suggested.

If I try to file it is 'save as' hte Camtasia Studio file appears and tells me that I already have that address.

Sorry to be so complicated...

Comment

perfect.. it loaded real quick and very good quality.. media player can be a little bit smaller in width so that it doesnt look so stretched.. but the loading is great.

I've added the website to my favourites and I'd like to have a look when it's finished, so keep us posted on the progress please.. Interesting topic.

Good work.

Comment

Thanks a million for all your kind help and advice, it's been invaluable.

I'll let you know when it's finished.

Cheers and thanks again.
                            Ian

Comment

Working...
                            X