Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web page size

Hi All,

I am quite conversant with most of the tools in BV. But one thing that is stumping me, as I have read in many posts is to set your page size suitable to most people screen resolution, 800x600. I was just playing around and opened the website builder and put a background picture in from the corner to the measurements on the rulers to 800x600. My screen is set to 1280x1024 so i changed it to 800x600 and then previewed the page yet I still had downward scroll. Is this right, or I am I doing something wrong. What I am trying to achieve....I think....is no sideward or downward scroll for the user.

Kind regards Darren
    Photography is a snapshot of a time in your life.
    http://www.quantumphotography.net

Websites you dream of... www.quantumwebworks.com

Re: Web page size

The background picture should cover the entire page - so that it will also cover what people see who have a wider screen. The background isn't what you need to worry about - it's the size you have in page properties for the page - length and width - and that you don't put anything outside of the width boudaries, or it will automatically change to wider.

Actually a window of 800 wide means you need a screen width of about 780 - 790 to completely get rid of sideways scroll.

You shouldn't have any downward scroll at 600 deep - but downward scroll isn't as important as side to side scroll. And it also depends on your target market. I believe totally that some websites have to stay in the 800 width - but some of us are able to come out of it successfully - but very carefully -
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Bethers,

I am still confused. I had the page properties set to 800x600. Does this mean in my workspace in BV Builder that I can load an image to whatever size and it will show as 800 x 600????

I have attached image to show both page properties and work space picture to be 800x600. What I want to make sure of is that if I work everything to be in that area that my web page should show up correctly?

When I preview the page at my resolution it shows up only small??
      Sorry to ask these silly question I just want to get the start right so I can work from there with peace of mind.
      Thank youToday 09:50 AM
      Attached Files

Comment

If you put the image in as background - it will cover the entire screen. If you put it in as an image - then you can size it as you were saying and use it for 800x600 only - if it's large enough and can be put to those dimensions without distorting it.

My guess is this picture is smaller than the size you are trying to get it to fit into.
        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

I think I get it now. If I put the image in as background ( this is not the image I will be using ) and say size it to be viewable in the BV builder at say 900 x 700 if the page properties say 800 x 600 does that mean it will show up correctly???
          I just want to start with a background image and know what to size it at so I have that as my work area. Then if I put say a graphic right to one side it will show up correctly on anyone browsing my web page.
          Thanks again Darren

Comment

Why don't you use the rulers on the page - and if you need to keep within that size, put in a shape - just do a shape with a border and transparent center - make the borders the size you want - will be much easier.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I'm sorry, but I feel Darren's brain synapses a mile away. I've been pursing graphic design all my life, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I had to learn about this from experienced artists and photographers as well as web designers.

lets see if I can cover this...here are a few things that are,

MEASURED in PIXELS:

1. image Resolution
              2. page SIZE
              3. image SIZE (in bluevoda)
              4. screen RESOLUTION
              ----picture this: image with( X res) inserted into bv page set to (Y w/h)
              and then sized, or not, to(Y w/h) and then ALL THIS BEING VIEWED with (Z res) monitor.... and we wanna figure out what now???

The conundrum is the difference between using an image FOR the background and using and image AS a background. Basically, you take an image with a pixel resolution of 800x600 and insert it into bluevoda with PAGE width/height set the same...should have no problems with the way that image is viewed on your screen or an old 800x600 screen like my trusty ole 8yr old monitor(5 bucks at Goodwill) =)

There are easier ways to make your website images and backgrounds work for all types of resolutions and browsers, but if anyone is interested, I'd like to have a bluevoda's page dimensions to act more like resolution than a ruler
              when images are concerned.

Oo0o0o I have to go sorry, hope this made sense..check my homepage..the background set to BLACK, no background image.
              image pix resolution(size, enhanced in Photoshop CS) like 527x323pix or something like that sized to fit 800x600 BVpage dimensions..

It would look noticably different if the image was 800x600 before inserting to BV page. afjdlafjdfjd;klfh;klfhkd sheesh, I'm being nagged, I will return later to finish this piece. HOPe this helps bring clarity to your wonderment.
              Robert
              www.GraphXntrix.com
              Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Working...
              X