Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New level of webdesign

Hey guys,
    im a webdesigner and It consultant since 5 years and im wondering what is happening to webdesign.
    Instead of more and more people knowing what webdesign is they just simply know that there is such a thing as a website.
    I personaly get asked maybe 3 times a week can u make me a website, so I reply and say yea sure tell me what do you want, the costomer looks at me and says: "I just want a simple website". Now when i sit together with the client showing him/her the first 3 layouts it turns out they want way more then a simple website.

This is one part of my review now lets go to part two:

"What is the right website for todays costomers"

Now youll be saying: "Well that really depends on the costomer you are looking at", ok i agree but then lets look at the wide frame,
    We are now at a level where there is a balance between flash and static websites, but there is nothing really new, ok theres .net but that doesnt make a diffrence in the apperance.
    Now ive been sitting in my office for the past 3 weeks breaking my head about a new style, lets go to a new level.
    So ive come to the conclusion that what would be interesting to see is 3d online showrooms.
    Now im talking a online room in which you can walk around and look at the items on sale or get a face to face consultant session in your own costomised 3d office.
    I think this could have a lot of success.

Please let me know your thoughts on this issue.
    thx so much,
    Jonathan K.
    EEE-JAY Infotainment

Re: New level of webdesign

Why bother?
    It is my experience that the last thing consumers "need" is the ability to expect newer technolgy to dazzle them, entertain them, but not help them make a decision.....because they stopped thinking years ago! The concept of 3D and even projected hologram "shopping" faded years ago after being touted by GE, Ford, and even Amway, as impractical and unmanageable. Even for narrow-channel marketing, it is applicable in super select presentations, and not interactive.

Retailers know that "directed results" are easiest when selection is limited, and "positive posture" is attained when it appears that it was due to the cleverness of the consumer, not the suggestions presented.

Anything far from offering templates with multiple variations, modes of functionality, or segmented production values in website building is doomed: value perception will have no meaning, as the customer has nothing to compare it to!

Reserve the "Wow!" factors for those who ask for it by reference.....and then charge anything you want, but be absolutely sure you can deliver as promised, not like most jokers!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

thank you so much this will help me a lot...
      jk

Comment

i do agree with you john regarding the first part of customer behaviour ;)
        nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

You know what, the thing is, when you end up with a client who doesn't know anything about design in general, that's a f#$%^%$#$ hell.

An example of a big s$%^, that I will never forget.

A client who is a manager of a yachts company asked for a A3 press Ad, gave me material (means pics + text etc etc) and asked me to blow my creativity and give something simple, alright, my first call to him was regarding the picture, I asked him to give me a high resolution one, first answer from him was a question, why don't you extend the size of the picture? well, a 10 mns waisted on a lesson on image graphics.

"an extra info for you before continuing the story : depends on the picture quality, you can extend its size up to 35%, but his picture made it up to 20% with an average quality."

I finished the design and everything, when showing him the press ad, he asked me why I didn't enalarge the picture and spread it in the whole page, another 15 mns to explain him with more details why.

He asked to make changes on that design 7 times, in each time I had to explain him why I couldn't enlarge and spread the picture, till I got sick of him and just push him to accept or refuse the work.

conclusion, you have always to push the client to accept what you are doing if you are sure about what you are doing.

expect more bull**** from your client everytime you meet him.

As I said push, but always in a nice way "if you want to keep your client" other wise, tell him to P^%&*^ OFF.

Anyway, that's the business we've chosen, and that's the way it is.
          The Producer

Comment

hey nite producer,

cool humm....

well i could not agree with you more. don't give the customer too much more than what he has paid for. else he will always expect more.

u can also try this technique, give him some thing, say "A" and "B" and also keep "C", but say that "C" costs so and so much, and then ask the customer "Do you want 'C' ?" try it, it does work
            nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
              Why bother?
              It is my experience that the last thing consumers "need" is the ability to expect newer technolgy to dazzle them, entertain them, but not help them make a decision.....because they stopped thinking years ago! The concept of 3D and even projected hologram "shopping" faded years ago after being touted by GE, Ford, and even Amway, as impractical and unmanageable. Even for narrow-channel marketing, it is applicable in super select presentations, and not interactive.

Retailers know that "directed results" are easiest when selection is limited, and "positive posture" is attained when it appears that it was due to the cleverness of the consumer, not the suggestions presented.

Anything far from offering templates with multiple variations, modes of functionality, or segmented production values in website building is doomed: value perception will have no meaning, as the customer has nothing to compare it to!

Reserve the "Wow!" factors for those who ask for it by reference.....and then charge anything you want, but be absolutely sure you can deliver as promised, not like most jokers!
              Honestly, I have come to the conclusion that it is incredibly difficult to convey conepts accurately to anyone, especially about anything webbie!

On one hand, most "webbies" are little more than hobbyists anyway (with little or no background or acumen in business whatsoever), so whenever they dance with "clients" they falter in both satisfying them and themselves: invariably, their "system" is mucked up due to the "holes" they overlooked, as customers change their minds, update the project (seemingly justifiably, as the parameters were never truly specified), or try to squeak in more than originally presented. The only real way to avoid this is exactly what I mentioned: lock up a "program" tightly, even if offering a simplified basis of templated designs with a certain number of pages, individual pricing for "modules" (like dynamic navigation, extra pages, flash elements, forums, blogs, etc.), and especially a clearly stated pricing policy for "custom" time and "development" time (on a half-hour rate)......you have to be sure to have a truly detailed "checklist" of all the items and specifications they will be submitting, and anything beyond the "formatted price" becomes billable at the "developmental rate".....

This will cut back on the BS factor for both the scheduling and completion of your projects, and also force the client to committing to their submitted project: either they need to re-think their intention, or they will pay to have their chaos re-interpreted!! This is where you must draw the line between creative and production, just as in the advertising business.

And, like I mentioned earlier also, you need to produce as promised, if only to back up your stated "program" and remain professional. It is all simply a matter of being in business, and delivering from the get-go your cognizance of your business reality! (Having a Services Agreement -a legal type of contract- helps to clarify what your terms are, and recourse for the both of you should the project "change")

Comment

and i just popped a sleeping pill god damn what awaste
                The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
                Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

Back on the couch again, Gary?? My friend, you really should try to set up on the bed, if you intend on not being disturbed!
                  LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X