Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excel in BV

hello!

I'm creating a website about Darts League. Most of my pages will include information already existed in Word and Excel. The information is updated each week when the results from competitions come.

I would like to do is:
    1 - be able to put this information in Excel (or Word) in BV (now I cant do this because everything shrinks instead of being in a nice table)
    2 - when I update information on my computer - I'd like to have it automatically done on my website.

How can I do it? is it possible?

Please, help me.

Vila

Re: excel in BV

Hi, not sure on the auto update, but you can save the xl file as a web page & ftp it to your site. Then open that file in an iframe on the page you want.
    I found is easier to us a Google spreadsheet & put in an I frame on my web site page.

You can also make the sheet public/not public/let someone else edit the sheet or not.
    It’s quite flexible.

Cheers
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

It can only be done with a database. If you are interested, contact me.

Alternative: Create a link in your pages to the Excel file. Upload the xls file to your website. When a visitor clicks on the link, excel will open from within IE and the file you have uploaded will appear.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

hi!

thank you for your time. I chcecked and I decided that opening xl in iframe is the best solution for my needs according to website about a dart league.

I saved xl file as website. I even publish this, but I cannot work out how to connect it with bv.

at the moment I use my first website www.tatraview.com to try to upload xl because I want to know how to do this. unfortunately whatever I do - it doesn't work. I used these steps:
        1. Open you’re XL doc.
        2. Click on file, then click on web page view. (This will let you see what you will get on your web page)
        3. If you are happy. Click file & save as web page. (Save it to?? (my documents)
        4. Open BV click on tools & open FTP manager
        5. Click on connect (assuming you have the right sign in details?)
        6. Find your XL doc in the left hand column, left click & hold down wile dragging to the right Colum., release. (window should pop up saying its transferring)
        NOTE: (Be careful you don’t drop it into a folder)
        7. You should be able to link to the page from BV. IE www.yoursite.com/xlfile.html
        Check that it did save as .html file as it maybe htm, so change the link accordingly

but it still doesn't work.

Could you please help me. at the moment the xl is supposed to be here http://www.tatraview.com/measurements.html can you tell me why it doesn't work?

Vila

Comment

Hi, I see you have the page up & working, but no page loading into the iframe?.
          Did you upload the XL file as described before?
          Did you save the file as a web page (Save as type) Web page?
          If all this is ok, Go into the cpanel & check that it has uploaded ok. When you find the file, click on it & look to the right of the screen, you should have a url in blue that you can click on to view the file in your browser. Have a look & see how you have named the file. I suspect it has an odd extension like .htm or .MHTML It may be the extension that is causing the link problem. I have tied some others. But no joy.

PS. may be worth bringing your page size down to 800 wide??
          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

hi!
            so - I did first 6 steps, but didn't know how to do 7th. I tried to put the link into iframe, but the url of this link looks either file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Setting...6_%202007.html or ../../../Beatka/WEBSITE/WIDL/League_2006_ 2007.html

even I know that it's not a proper URL but what can I do to make it right?

I saved xl as a web page. (I even use the option of publishing it, I found it in my xl)

I'm not sure where can I check the stuff you mentioned in cpanel. I tried it FTP Manager (in tools) but it looks ok. but when I went to Cpanel, I found many icons there and don;t know which one to choose. I'm not good in it, so if you could explain me where I can find it, I'd greatful.

Vila

Comment

Hi,
              1. Log on to cpanel
              2. Click on File manager
              3. Click on folder icon of public_html (not the words, the folder)
              4. Scroll down the list & see if you can find the XL file you uploaded.
              5. If you find the file! Click on the file name & the URL link should show on the right of the page under File url
              6. This should be the URL of the XL file you want to open in the iframe. (click on the link to see if it opens OK).
              7. Copy this URL into the iframe.

URL! should look something like this.

NOT LIKE THIS. file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Setting...6_%202007.html
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you for help Chris, It works. :):):):) hopefully I won't problems anymore.

Vila

Comment

Hi vila,
                  Strange! I am only getting this in the frame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  To use this Web page interactively, you must have Microsoft® Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later and the Microsoft Office XP Web Components.
                  Click here to install the Office XP Web Components.
                  See the Microsoft Office Web site for more information.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is almost like it wants me to open your xl file & edit the file. I am wondering if when you uploaded via Microsoft FTP, if it has uploaded as a web page or not.??????
                  The page should be like this one I was messing around with
                  http://www.collectors-info.com/tv.html Press the test 1 & test 2.
                  Yours almost feels like a down load or an MS file & not a web page.??
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

hmm..my friend said he got the the same message...

I can edit the published xl on my PC and I was wondering if everybody can (which is not what I want). I had a look at your website and I want exactly the same but it seems to be different in my case.

I don't know if it uploaded as a web page or not. what could I have done wrong?

thanks for telling me this.

by the way - when you make changes in your test1 or test2 - do you have to publish the page again - or you marked in Excell "add interactivity"?I marked it and I did something else: when I saved as a website - on the right I had "publish" which i clicked. I found the option there to "Autorepublish everytime this workbook is saved" which I marked as well.

is it what I was supposed to do? I thought it's a good idea and each time I update my xl it will appear updated on the website. am I right here?

Vila

Comment

I think its because you uploaded from the XL program & haven’t saved it as a web page
                      Try going back to the start & save the file as a web page. (Note sure where save as a WEBSITE comes from) Should be as web page Then FTP via BV.

When you want to make changes! Yes you have to republish the updated file XL. But this only takes 3 more clicks than just saving it. Must admit. I am not sure on the auto update function.
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

sorry, I meant save a a web page.

I deleted the file from FTP and tried to do it one more time. I saved my xl again as a web page. then I dragged from the left side into right int FTP Manager. it showed that it was transforming. but when I wanted to check it in Cpanel I couldn't find it. I don't know why this time xl is nnot there.

one question - when I drag the xl - how the icon should look like? as a normal excel green icon or as a blue internet explorer?

Vila

Comment

Hi,
                          The file will show as a normal file like your other pages. It may have a .htm or .MHTML extension instead of .html.
                          The only other thing I can think of is you may have had a folder highlighted when you dragged it across.
                          Must admit! I have had to drag them across 2 or 3 times before.
                          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hello Chris!
                            I really don't know what wrong I have done before but it works now. as it should do. :) so now when I know what to do I can work with creating the pages. You can see the result on www.tatraview.com/measurements.html Thank you for your help.

Can you help me with another problemas well, please? I have a small problem with e-mail. I used forms in bv to let other people sent a message to me.
                            I created a simple box, where people type their name, their e-mail address (using editbox) and a message (using text area).
                            when I publish the page I asked my friend to try to send a message to me from his computer but he was not able to type his name and e-mail address. this problem doesn't occur on my PC. could you check it and if you are also unable to do it, can you tell me why is that?
                            (I don't know why the background of editbox has yellow coulour. I tried make it white but it doesn't want to accept it, and change it into default)

you can find it in "contact us" on www.tatraview.com

Vila

Comment

Hi, sorry! But I am not up on forms as I use form maker pro which is a sort of wysiwyg program. If you pop a message up on the forum (Help with email form please) someone will get back to you soon I am sure.
                              The yellow background on your form boxes are quite often to do with Google/yahoo auto fill to say it recognises the areas to be filled.

Nice to see the XL got sorted out (strange).

Good luck.

Ps. Andy’s page may help you with the form. http://netisopen.com/computer/web/webpagestuff.html
                              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                              X