linking pages when site not live/published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linking pages when site not live/published

Ive wathced the videos and searched but cant for the life of me work it out.

Ive made a few pages, but the site isnt live yet (as i want to get it all set up first) and its not published. Now when i click on links when u preview the site it just keeps saying 'internet cant find the page'

Now im guessing this is because the site isnt live yet.

Now my question, how do you get ur site fully functional without being live/published.

The thing im doing wronng i think is linking them.

I do as an example http://xxxxxxxxxx.net/homepage.html

What do i put as the xxxxxxxxxxx as webpage im building isnt live. I tried file:// but that didnt work either.

thanks

Re: linking pages when site not live/published

Hi,
    Not sure why you don’t want the site live? But it’s the only real way to make sure all is working properly. If worst comes to the worst you maybe better off putting your index page into the html_public directory & the rest in a protected directory with password. When you’re ready to go live, you can remove the password.
    It will be a real pain for testing.
    So the link will look like www.mysite.com then www.mysite.com/private/page-1.html On this second link, someone will put in a password to get in. (IE: you for testing.)
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I think you just need to reread the tutorials on naming pages. I don't publish my pages until they all have good se content - then I publish and tweak from there.

What you need to do is simply put the right links in - but they obviously won't work until published - which is why you get the internet cannot find when you are in preview - cuz it's NOT live. When you go live, the first thing you'll want to do is test all the links.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

So basically unless you publish your webpage then you cant click on thelinks and it will take you there ?

Comment

thats right
          Ann
          www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
          www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
          www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

Working...
          X