IE Problem Connecting to VH???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE Problem Connecting to VH???

I am starting this thread due to the volume of emails I have recieved from many of my VodaPeers who are having difficulty connecting to the VodaTalk Forums, their cPanel, and even their own websites properly....

You are not "banned" from VodaTalk, nor are you alone!

After many trials and errors to debug this growing "problem" I have personally come to the conclusion that the culprit is most likely IE7 being installed via the regular, typically un-monitored Windows Automatic Update feature that everyone most likely is using.
    I myself stopped 2 attempts this past week to "upgrade" my IE6 to IE7 via the Windows Update feature.....I was able to deny this only because I have the box checked in options to always display a list of each update being downloaded/installed.

One of the first ways this "conversion" was noticed was the fact IE7 does not display iFrames properly, and unless you make some minor changes to the configuration, you will not be able to view your own website as designed.
    >> See this thread for details and a "fix"

In the meantime, I would suggest 2 immediate means to view online unimpeded, both Free and easy: download both the AOL browser (which has a neat little adware and anti-viral scan feature everytime you logon) and the MSN browser. This will free you from the constraints that IE is presenting to you in the meantime. This way, you can connect directly to the Microsoft site to repair any damage that may have been done to your system without your knowing it.

Using either the AOL or MSN broswer will allow you to at least get the opportunity to Submit a Ticket, even if you still cannot log in as a Member to VodaTalk.

And, I fully expect some sort of "official" reply in this thread by Generals VodaHost and/or NavalDesign (even if to have it deleted once a solution is posted or rewritten elsewhere), since they are undoubtedly much more sophisticated than I am in the technical realm.......sorry!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Re: IE Problem Connecting to VH???

I would suggest that they download firefox browser.

I have IE7 installed and have never had any problems with frames or the forum - so I have a hard time believing it's IE7. I won't say it can't be though. I did take the issue of the frames on IE7 elsewhere and was told that IE7 does not have that problem - as 2 of the people in the thread mentioned also discovered it was something on their computers, not IE7.

Vasili - I just can't ever recommend anyone download AOL. I, if given the opportunity, would recommend that anyone with anything associated with AOL on their computer should remove all of it.

My suggestion - is to download the firefox browser and see if that corrects the problem. If so, it sounds like it is an IE fault. If not, you can at least rest pretty assured that it is on the computer itself. And it that fixes it - use firefox for your browsing to here.

I've also been getting lots of emails about the forum and people unable to get on it.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Sorry!!! I strongly disagree with you one this one: we are trying to solve a problem that is spreading.

Too many problems using Firefox AND Mozilla with certain media files, etc. (There is the persistent problem in VodaTalk that supports this avoidance).

Downloading stable, proven, non-malicious browsers that aren't "peculiar" in some way is the soundest solution (and is not borne by my opinion --- you all know how much I just "love" AOL, but admittedly, their browser is a fine tool, as is MSN, which is also supported by Microsoft. Just opt-out of the extra stuff they hope you don't uncheck when you download!).

Comment

LOL - us disagree? I agree to disagree on this - and I strongly disagree about AOL - so, how about we agree to agree that people can use the MSN one?

And maybe the problem people are having is because IE7 is becoming more compliant - which Firefox and Mozilla already were - and I suggest no one use media files that aren't going to work in them - as they continue to gain in popularity - including mine!
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

I'm with Bethers on this. I wouldn't let AOL within 100 miles of my pc! Firefox is okay but I prefer Maxthon and Slimbrowser which present fewer problems when viewing 'stuff'. I, very recently, allowed the upgrade to IE7 but never use IE so have not experienced any difficulties.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Okay .... Can Eye just jump in the middle here ... oh this is gonna be fun ... lol

But Eye too have some emails ....

Eye disagrees with downloading another browser period. Some of these people have been having trouble since they downloaded firefox ..... and I too would not have AOL on my computer ....

And Eye believe this is a problem created by the three of four latest updates by microsoft and if not chosen carefully IE7 would have been downloaded ....

I have used IE7 on another computer, no problem logging in here ....

However, with microsoft updates, we are quite familiar with having to tweak back, some of the settings .... rather than going through all of these settings .... may I recommend .....

As an alternative, uinstalling IE7 and reverting back to IE6 and see if the problem is corrected ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Bickering, bantering, semantics, schemantics.....the point was to solve the problem that is spreading like a virus throughout VodaTalk (everything from "cache" problems, to cannot edit/refresh web pages).

Again....for those wishing to "fix" the issue, and actually avail themsleves of a Free browser that is supportable, try downloading from MSN.....at least it is supportable from Microsoft themselves.
              Just as AOL's browser is supported "live" by AOL.
              *For those who blindly download without selecting the proper options, then I agree, this choice might not be the best "fit" in a situation already charged with emotions of crisis and overwhelming technical challenges!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                And Eye believe this is a problem created by the three of four latest updates by microsoft and if not chosen carefully IE7 would have been downloaded ....

I have used IE7 on another computer, no problem logging in here ....

However, with microsoft updates, we are quite familiar with having to tweak back, some of the settings .... rather than going through all of these settings .... may I recommend .....

As an alternative, uinstalling IE7 and reverting back to IE6 and see if the problem is corrected ....
                You need to have your IE closed in order to do this....thus, the need for a substitute browser that is reliably stable.

Additionally, having a 2nd and even a 3rd broswer available helps to check on different views, load times, etc. AOL and MSN are the next in line as far as universal use.

I'm outta here.....

Comment

I believe uninstalling IE7 will leave you with a fully functional IE6 ... No?

1. Go to Control Panel
                  2. Click Add or Remove Programs
                  3. Click Show Updates checkbox
                  4. Click whatever version of IE7 you have. For example “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview”
                  5. Click the Change/Remove button

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

So this about IE7 the thing has more bugs than my back garden.
                    if you have not had problems with it you are lucky, it's a question of time before you hit the bugs. Now i don't mind if people are given the option to download IE7 it's there choice but when microsoft try to download it through there Automatic security downloads i tend to get a bit miffed. it's only the fact that i have it set to ask me first before downloading that i stopped it. Bad Microsoft slapped wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                      I believe uninstalling IE7 will leave you with a fully functional IE6 ... No?

1. Go to Control Panel
                      2. Click Add or Remove Programs
                      3. Click Show Updates checkbox
                      4. Click whatever version of IE7 you have. For example “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview”
                      5. Click the Change/Remove button
                      NO.
                      Previous versions are "overwritten."
                      (Update, remember???) LOL

GARRY: It's their way to squeeze you into a corner to become dependent on Vista, and the soon to be thrice-released Office 2007

Gone. Good Luck!

Comment

Hi Vasili :)

Yes, IE7 is an update and therefore can be removed. When going to add and remove programs, you might not see it, so you have to be sure to go to add and remove programs and tick show updates .... there you will see IE7 and you can remove it and you will be reverted back to IE 6

There are a few ways to ensure thatIE7 is not taken again, and one is when the updates come to your computer and you go to install, you untick this update and ask not to be shown this update again ...

Another is this

If you decide to uninstall IE7 and do not want it to be automatically downloaded and installed on your system, there is a registry hack that can be downloaded here:

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/10/h...nstalling.html

This .reg file creates a simple IE7 blocking registry key value

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0 [DoNotAllowIE70 Set to 1]

With this registry setting, next time you receive automatic updates IE7 won't be offered as one of them. You will still be able to download IE7 manually if you choose to do so.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

This of course providing you had a previous version of Internet Explorer on your computer ....

See attached
                          Attached Files

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Good Post, LadyEye!
                            Told you I was not too technical.....I was just trying to help out a bit.

The hen-pecked General learns from his mistakes, however, and will be content to view from afar from now on........only to re-appear only when necessary to accomplish my numerable unfinished sites, I suppose!

Carry On!

Comment

No way Vasili ... not dumping this all on me ... lol.

For to be truthful, had I not read your posts about not taking IE7 I probably would have ended up with it myself .... so you are the man!!

You love the hen pecking, you want it, need it, and love it!! lmao

I have read alot about IE7 and corruptable downloads, some even with virus, programs not working after this, numerous, images, etc., and each can be different, printers, everything .... not to say you can't take it ever, but you may need to download again and reinstall, although, it wont be me until I get forced .....

I thank you that I do not have it!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X