Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Word Files To My Web Site

ID 11585 mortonnotes (unpublished)

I NEED HELP - DETAILED HELP - WITH MOVING WORD FILES INTO MY WEB SITE.

I HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS IN THE PAST AND HAVE ONE OR TWO FILES IN MY WEB SITE. BUT I HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW I DID IT.

I HAVE NOW TRIED TO USE THE CONTROL PANEL AND DOWNLOADED A SET OF MY (WORD) NOTES AND APPARENTLY SUCCESSFULLY. HOWEVER IT DOES NOT APPEAR ON MY WEB SITE LIST.

QUESTION - WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT?

PLEASE GIVE DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP ADVICE SINCE I KNOW NOTHING!!

Re: Moving Word Files To My Web Site

First, please don't use all caps when posting (or on your website) - it's considered shouting.

Now, I'm not sure what or where you want these word files? Are they to be called up via a link or do you want to use them on a page?
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

I have already tried to post two threads to your reply but this site does not seem to show them. I guess that I did something wrong. I shall try again.

I shall stop shouting. Thank you for this advice.

I want to put most of my word files on to my web site just for people to read. However I have some notes that pose problems/questions for people to answer. If they answer them I would like to have the capacity to send them an answer that I have put on to my web site (for convenience) but only when I can send it can Users of the site see it.

Thus my answer = Both

Comment

I would recommend the use of a blog or forum for the 2nd portion of your question.

I'm still not sure how you want these word documents to appear on the website. Do you simply want them to be files that someone clicks on and then they see them. Or do you want the text to be on your webpages - where people and se's can read it? If you want it on the pages, then you need to copy and paste it into the pages. And, unless these are pages you don't need the se's to read - I recommend the text be on your webpages.

Still unclear as to what exactly you want these pages to do - so my answer might not be at all what you're looking for.
        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you for your reply, I have mucked up the sequence I want to communicate my reply to you. But i cannot find a way of moving/copying material in this box so I will just leave in the wrong sequence and hope you will forgive me.

I'm still not sure how you want these word documents to appear on the website.
          Your question 1 Do you simply want them to be files that someone clicks on and then they see them. Yes but see mext answer.
          Your question 2. Do you want the text to be on your webpages - where people and se's can read it? I had not realised that a difference exists between the two approaches you suggest. What advantages and disadvantages exist for each approach? I now see that you suggest the second.
          My question 1. Do either of the two approaches save the amount of space that the site takes up and - possibly - cost more or less money.
          My question 2. Does "se's stand for Users? If not, what?
          My question 3. Does copy and paste mean using the upload approach found in the File Manager?
          If you want it on the pages, then you need to copy and paste it into the pages. And, unless these are pages you don't need the se's to read - I recommend the text be on your webpages.

Still unclear as to what exactly you want these pages to do - so my answer might not be at all what you're looking for.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. Sorry my reply unclear. I use to teach communciation to managers and my first rule - Blame the Sender for poor and inadequate communications. So all my fault. I shall try again. ( Incidentally I believe most people do not use this rule. For example listen to the number of times people say "You're not listening" and "You don't understand me." But I degress because of my old habit of wanting to teach!!)
          I want Readers who go to my web site to see my many sets of notes all displayed once they click on a particualr title. Thus the site only aims to dispense information - even though few people will have an interest in what I have to say.
          I take on board your advice re a forum or blog. But I shall defer this option until I get the ?easier aspect done.
          I have tried to use your brilliant approach of using a different colour for an answer. I have used a different colour than your red so that you can continue to use it.
          Thank you again for your patient help giving.I wonder how I can repay you. Perhaps you can visit Australia some time?

Comment

My question 1. Do either of the two approaches save the amount of space that the site takes up and - possibly - cost more or less money.
            Financially there is no difference. One puts the document into a file that is called up by a link - therefore the document itself isn't readable on the site. The other - the text is on your pages themselves.

My question 2. Does "se's stand for Users? If not, what?
            SE's = search engines.
            My question 3. Does copy and paste mean using the upload approach found in the File Manager? No - copy and paste means you copy your word document, open the blue voda page you want it on, and paste it into a text element on the page.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you for your reply. We now appear to have a format that I rate as effective and efficient. I hope you feel the same.

I have now visited your web site and find that you help people re their web sites for a living.Thus I feel somewhat guilty.

New Question 1 I think I have put this question in another thread but just in case - When I copied and pasted my word document, it did not have the same format as in the word file. Can I achieve a "perfect" copy for my web site? If so how?

New Question 2. What is the value of the upload approach in the file manager? When should one use it?

Love the work of your artist friend/clilent who does scupture and colouring on dishes. So does my wife.

Comment

Working...
              X