X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between two terms

id 11585 mortonnotes(unpublished)
    Question 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using - (a) tick Post Reply and (b) tick Post Quick Reply"
    Question 2. What does the term in Additional Options - "Retrieve titles from external links" mean?
    Question 3. When should i use this box and what advantages does it give me.
    Questions 4. Have I done something wrong as covered by the request 1 above. I typed in a thread and then clicked on a number of boxes to see if I could find out their meaning. When I retrurned to my thread box (this one) I found that my message had disappeared.
    Question 5. Have I actually sent my first message?
    Question 6 Have I created a duplicate double thread?

Re: Difference between two terms

Might want to read the intro for each forum. They outline several useful things.
    Also test some, example some postings (Quote) will copy the original message.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Originally posted by bill2006
      Might want to read the intro for each forum. They outline several useful things.
      Also test some, example some postings (Quote) will copy the original message.
      Thank you for replying to my posting. I just clicked on quote and my carefully-typed reply disappeared from a box similar to this one. I guess that when you click quote the previous posting appears on the reply box.
      I shall look for the intro to the various forums. I cannot recall that I have seen one but I shall look for them.
      I guess I could set up a controlled experiment to test what happens when I click (eg) quick reply and post reply. However I will hope that someone out there will answer my question.
      May I ask why you did not take at least one of my questions and answer it or tell me why it rates as a useless question?

Comment

Originally posted by bill morton
        id 11585 mortonnotes(unpublished)
        Question 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using - (a) tick Post Reply and (b) tick Post Quick Reply"
        You have more options with the full reply method over quick reply - I usually use quick reply - but you can try both and see which works better for you.
        Question 2. What does the term in Additional Options - "Retrieve titles from external links" mean? Never noticed that before :) and it doesn't effect building websites, so I may never notice it again.
        Question 3. When should i use this box and what advantages does it give me. ?? you asked why the last poster didn't give you more information - maybe he didn't know - these are options that come with the forum - and most of us are forum members like you - helping on websites - not on use of the forum.
        Questions 4. Have I done something wrong as covered by the request 1 above. I typed in a thread and then clicked on a number of boxes to see if I could find out their meaning. When I retrurned to my thread box (this one) I found that my message had disappeared. You left your message to another page without sending it.
        Question 5. Have I actually sent my first message? No.
        Question 6 Have I created a duplicate double thread? No
        Hope this helps - and when I want to use different colors like this - then using the quote feature to quote your message - and then having all the options - is better for me than going to quick reply.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Like Bethers indicated and as mentioned in my reply (re: quote above) it is sometimes useful to have the original question when replying, especially in long forums. As to aswering all of your questions or replying completely, not sure what sort if reply you were looking for.

No question is useless and we all learn from other forum member's responses. I'm sure we will get the benefits of your experience here soon too.

Good luck with your site.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thank you for this reply. I agree that it sometimes does help to have the original question when replying. Bethers seems to have overcome this problem. I guess she just quotes my message and adds answers after the each question. I have tried this approach with your message above and it works.
            Another tip that would prove useful on - How to ask and answer questions on the general introduction provided.
            To answer your questions I sought the type of reply provided by Bethers. However I accept the point that she made that you all have other things to do than answer everyone's questions. However since I rate as a nitpicking and detail minded I would settle for I have not answered all of your questions because I am too busy at the moment earning a living.
            Thank you for your best wishes about my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
              Hope this helps - and when I want to use different colors like this - then using the quote feature to quote your message - and then having all the options - is better for me than going to quick reply.
              I typed out a reply to you and submitted it. something went wrong and I received a message to notify the administrator. I believe you fall into that category. If not what should I do?

Now to repeat my answer to you. Thank you muchly for your wonderful answer. It uses the approach that I would take myself. Hence you must rate as a magnificent human being. I shall treasure your reply and occasionally hold it close to my heart!

I shall try to intrude on you by asking two more questions.
              Question 1. When I clicked on quote, this box only showed the last three lines. (I shall leave them in this answer instead of deleting them which I have decided to do as a general principle in future.) How can I obtain the whole of your answer to appear in this box?
              Question 2. Does a method exist whereby I can just print out your reply?
              I guess I can order my printer to print only certain pages. However perhaps a better approach.

Love you colouring approach. Thanks again for your comprehensive answer.

Comment

Bill,
                Thank you - but believe me, I can give some very concise answers sometimes - as we all only have so many hours in a day :)

When you clicked on quote - it quoted what it showed as my response to you - therefore everything in the quotes didn't appear. If you had wanted it to - you could have copied and pasted it and used the appropriate tags to make a quote.

As for printing - you could use your printers "print page" function - but usually when I want a printing of a post, I'll copy and paste just the parts I want into a word or notepad document - then print that. That allows me to get only what I need and not have all the extraneous parts.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

When you clicked on quote - it quoted what it showed as my response to you - therefore everything in the quotes didn't appear. If you had wanted it to - you could have copied and pasted it and used the appropriate tags to make a quote.

I could not find a copy and paste icons to use. Can you direct me please?

As for printing - you could use your printers "print page" function - but usually when I want a printing of a post, I'll copy and paste just the parts I want into a word or notepad document - then print that. That allows me to get only what I need and not have all the extraneous parts.[/quote].
                  Thanks - but again I could not find the copy icon etc.

Comment

You copy by highlighting the text you are interested in with your mouse, then you right click on it and select copy (or you can use the control c on your keyboard). Then you go to where you want the text - like this box or a word document, and you right click and now select save (or use control v on your keyboard)

It appears that you did this to answer the above post.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you for this reply. I have highlighted the previous sentence and right clicked my mouse and up pops an unnamed box with a list of about 15 options starting with "back" and down to "properties". Some of items exist as faint (e.g. "forward" that follows immediately after "back") I could not find a "copy". However I then tried your alternate approach using the control key plus c and control v. And it works perfectly. Perhaps I have different pop up boxes as compared with you?

Comment

When you highlight the information and right click, it's important that the mouse be on the highlighted text. If not and just on the page, you'll get what you did. But at least I gave you 2 methods :)
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you. I wrote a reply to your points but I cannot see it. In brief, most of what you said worked. So thanks again.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....methinks this is on the verge of overcomplication.

Don't worry too much about the nit-picky stuff, Bill. EVERY question you may pose is important, and should be answered with the best information and clearest expression thereof available for you to use easily and precisely.....that's what it's all about, right?

As far as using the different format elements within the forum, usually it's best to keep font sizes and colors to a minimum, so as to both make it easier to read, and to preserve the emphasis intended. 'Nuff said....

Keep it fun, and keep it real. We all appreciate good sense and good timing as we work together to make our dreams come true.

(You will undoubtedly find favorable information from individuals within our community, and thus when you find a "resource" you can rely upon, merely add them to your "Buddy List" to make it easier to follow up with the style you prefer....)
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Please read the following as coming from a nitpicking pedantic - and I hope you will forgive any unintended annoyance

Don't worry too much about the nit-picky stuff, Bill.
                              I do not "worry". But I do have an enquiring mind. Further when I ask a question, I do not know whether it rates as nitpicky - or important. I assume that all the boxes etc. have a reason behind them and so i ask - what does X mean? When Beth says that she has never noticed a particular box after all her many threads, I guess I can leave the question unanswered. However - with my personality (?twisted) - I still have the nagging question in my mind. Since I only rate as a near perfectionist, I have decided to let it go. However perhaps one night I shall wake up screaming because i do not know the answer!!
                              As far as using the different format elements within the forum, usually it's best to keep font sizes and colors to a minimum.
                              I hope that I do not overstep this mark. If I do I hope someone will tell. I always typed in upper case until Beth told me it rated as shouting. Thus I shall withhold it until I wish to shout.
                              Keep it fun, and keep it real.
                              Unfortunately what I rate as fun and you rate as fun may prove to rate as different. Perhaps this answer rates as fun to me but flippant or insulting to you?
                              You will have to explain "keep it real" for me to accept this piece of advice.
                              Thank you for your point on buddy list. I shall add you to my buddy list and see what effect this action has!
                              However I still wonder why we cannot have a general introduction on how all the boxes and options on the forum work. Perhaps I should take on the job of preparing one as one way of repaying all the members who reply to my nitpicky questions! Perhaps one exists - like the glossary of terms that I stumbled upon.

Comment

Working...
                              X