X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting my notes into my web site

id 11595 mortonnotes (unpublished)

Question 1. I have uploaded a set of my word notes into the public html file in my file manager. In my old web site that I started but have not published I have some other word notes. How do I transfer the recently uploaded file into the other material (old web site - unpublished) that I have started?

Question 2. When I look at the contents of the word file in my file manager, it shows a lot of gobledegook (to me) at the top and the bottom. Will this show on my web site when published? If so, how do I get rid of it without losing the original notes?

Question 3. The contents of my word notes show all the lines as continuous. I want it to have the same form and layout as my original word notes. How can I achieve this objective?

Re: getting my notes into my web site

Bill - where do you want these notes to show up? I just answered your other thread - on the same subject, basically - and I don't see why you are uploading these files - don't you want these to be on your pages? And are you building in BV? If so - you need to copy and paste the words into a text element on the pages. Or you can take them from your notes and copy and paste into an html box if you have formatted them using html.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Your question 1. where do you want these notes to show up? I hope my other thread answers this question
      Your question 2 I don't see why you are uploading these files - don't you want these to be on your pages? Yes
      Your question 3. Are you building in BV? If this question means -Am I using blue Voda to build my web site then I answer - Yes.
      If so - you need to copy and paste the words into a text element on the pages. Or you can take them from your notes and copy and paste into an html box if you have formatted them using html. I suspect that I do not understand the use of the File Manager and uploading files in relation to building a web site. See my new Thread posted on this topic.
      My new question 1. How do I go about changing my notes from word ?file into formatiing them using html?
      In the past I have copied some notes (in word) into a text box and they did not have the same format as in the original notes. I must find a way of maintaining my original format - if at all possible.
      Thank you again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
        Bill - where do you want these notes to show up? I just answered your other thread - on the same subject, basically - and I don't see why you are uploading these files - don't you want these to be on your pages? And are you building in BV? If so - you need to copy and paste the words into a text element on the pages. Or you can take them from your notes and copy and paste into an html box if you have formatted them using html.
        I have just answered this quote but it does not appear. Perhaps I have to wait for some time for it to appear?

Comment

It appeared.

You really need to use the formatting on BV - not the formatting on word - for all your formatting to appear. OR you can work in notepad (or any html editor) and format using html coding if you are familiar with it.

Using the text editor on BV is wonderful because you then can take what you've written and adjust it according to the space for the page and it will do the coding. I use a combination of both as I was used to writing in html before.

However, writing in word will not keep the formatting when it's moved over as word is not a web language.

The file manager saves all your pages and photos, etc. It isn't where individual text elements are saved. If you were wanting to link to say, a pdf document - then you would save it into your public_html and call for it as you would for a page.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

You really need to use the formatting on BV - not the formatting on word - for all your formatting to appear OR you can work in notepad (or any html editor) and format using html coding if you are familiar with it.
            Question 1. How do I change my word files into something that allows me to put them on to my web site and they have the same format as I had in word. I do not understand how to work in note pad and I am only vaguely aware of html coding from reading a book on preparing a web site.

Using the text editor on BV is wonderful because you then can take what you've written and adjust it according to the space for the page and it will do the coding. I use a combination of both as I was used to writing in html before.
            Comment. I have used this approach. However I have about 200 sets of notes in word. Many have 10 or or more acutal pages in them. Thus i would have a herculean task to try to adjust each page for many aspects.

The file manager saves all your pages and photos, etc. It isn't where individual text elements are saved. If you were wanting to link to say, a pdf document - then you would save it into your public_html and call for it as you would for a page.
            Question 2. I think I understand the individual words in your above paragraph but not the meaning of the paragraph. Do you mean that once I copy and paste into the text box, I then have to save it in some form (eg pdf)? Could you expand on what you have written please?

Comment

id 11585 mortonnotes
              Note - I think I have typed this material previously but I cannot find it when I click on the words that allow me to display all my postings. (User CP)

I have used the copy and paste approach into a text box and have successfuly moved a word file into a new web page. However it has all of the text on the left-hand side and does not have the same format that existed in my word notes. It does not seem to copy the header I have for each page in my word file. I have saved the word file as " save as a web page" and it adds to the file name - HTML - and in upper case. When I copy and paste this material to a page in a text box, it still has the same layout as before - the material on the left-hand side of the page. Thus - apparently - save as a Web page does not appear to solve my problem.

I need a method to move my word files into my web site with (almost) exactly the same format as they appear in word.

I can fiddle around and try to change the moved material but it rates as a tedious and an even imprecise approach. Thus it does not rate as practical since I have over a 100 sets of notes on word and many of them have ten or more actual pages.

If I cannot achieve this objective, my reasona for having a web site will not prove fruitful. Perhaps this problem rates as so technical that I should submit a ticket on my problem?

Comment

Ok, again - word is NOT an html editor - and saving it in word - even as a web page - is not going to give you what you want.

But you can try this - open the document you saved from word as a web page- it has an extension of .htm and it will open in a browser window. Now, right click on an empty space on this page. You will now have to find the code for the text of the page - not the header, etc - and you will copy and paste the necessary code into an html element on your website.

There is a very good chance, because you are trying to use word in a manner that it is NOT intended, that you are going to have bad coding and coding that is not compliant with today's standards.

This is not a question for technical support - as you are trying to use a program - Word - to do what it's not intended for. That's why they have programs for websites - inlcuding the BV program - Frontpage - Dreamweaver - that do have html editors - that will make the pages do what you want. It's not going to be a simple matter to take your document, with header, etc and put it on the web - from Word. If you aren't familiar with html, you are going to be spending quite a bit of time on reading the source of the page that I just described - to hopefully get the right code to input into the website.

I'm sorry to tell you this - but Word was not made for the purpose you are trying to use it. If it was as easy as moving all documents from word onto a blank webpage - there never would have needed to be web designers, etc. I'm not trying to be mean here - but there is going to be work involved - and I'm not sure you'll be able to get a good page using the method I just gave you - but you can give it a shot.

Again - it will only work if you can read the html and find the areas you need. If not, you'll need help doing that - and it might be as much work moving it as it would be to cut and paste and reformat using an actual html editor.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Well- there are several methods to get "text" to the web page.

One- is to copy/paste - and then make the corrections to tidy it up as Beth has suggested.

Two- Open your word document and go to File> and then click on
                  "Save as web page". **Note- this will create a .htm web page.
                  You need to make it an .html- simply rename it. Additionally-
                  if you have pictures with word wrap and headers- sometimes
                  they will be altered.

Three- you could save them as PDF files which are the easiest and
                  most universal.

Four- Copy sections to the "text" box in BV a section at a time. Reproduce the headers as desired.

As Beth stated- good sites require hard work. It will not make it self nice by itself. How well you want to present it- depends largely on how much effort you are willing to put into it.

Good luck-

**Here is a site that has done EXACTLY what you desire to do- http://bible-truths.com/

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thank you for your detailed reply.
                    Ok, again - word is NOT an html editor - and saving it in word - even as a web page - is not going to give you what you want. Well at least I know what will not work

But you can try this - open the document you saved from word as a web page- it has an extension of .htm and it will open in a browser window. Now, right click on an empty space on this page. You will now have to find the code for the text of the page - not the header, etc - and you will copy and paste the necessary code into an html element on your website.

There is a very good chance, because you are trying to use word in a manner that it is NOT intended, that you are going to have bad coding and coding that is not compliant with today's standards.
                    I will try what you suggest in your next paragraphs.
                    This is not a question for technical support. Thanks at least I will not waste my time sending a ticket.
                    Question 1. Will any of the web site builders other than BV help me more to achieve what I want to achieve?
                    Questions 2. Should I consider paying for a Web Designer to help me?

I'm sorry to tell you this - but Word was not made for the purpose you are trying to use it. I am sorry to hear what you tell me, but I will listen!
                    Question 3. Would it help any if I emailed a set of my notes to you so that you can see how I lay out all my notes? I have a standard approach.
                    Question 4. I notice that a box exists for attachments - at least i think I saw one somewhere. Should I try to attach a set of my notes to one of my threads?
                    Thank you again for the trouble that you have taken.

Comment

bill morton:

Insted of reinventing the wheel you might try a google search of animation.
                      there are some great sites like rainbowbridge that have many animations
                      you can have and even more you can buy very cheep

Comment

One- is to copy/paste - and then make the corrections to tidy it up as Beth has suggested. As I have told Beth, i do not believe this approach rates as practical because of all the changes that I would have to make. However perhaps it would prove less difficult than I imagine if I can format each page by some few approaches.
                        Question 1. Would it help if you saw a copy of my actual notes?
                        Method Two- I shall try this approach.
                        Note - my notes do not have any pictures but they do include tables and many tables in excel.
                        Question 2. Will I have much the same trouble with excel as I have with word?
                        Three- you could save them as PDF files which are the easiest and
                        most universal. I shall try this approach.
                        Question 3. How do I save files as PDF files?
                        Four- Copy sections to the "text" box in BV a section at a time. Reproduce the headers as desired. Aa stated to Beth, with 100 sets of notes many with 100 of so sections in each set of notes, I doubt if practical. However see my first note above.
                        I am not afraid of hard work. Further I do not want a site with many, if any, bells and whistles. Probably only a 1000 or so lawn bowlers will have any interest in what I write.
                        Good luck- Thanks - it sounds as if I will need it!
                        Thank for your reference to the particular site. It looks very pretty. Since I have just finished reading Dawkins God the Delusion (a wonderful and horrifying book) the site appears to have relevance.
                        I have worked out a form of correspondence with Beth that appears to suit us both. If it does not suit you, please let me know.

Comment

Bill - if you would like to email me one of your word documents - I'd be happy to look at it and see if there's a way to make your life a tad easier using it.

Send it to beth at moxie-enter-prises.com

And, Bill - think of it this way - the initial moving of the pages might be more work than you want but after it's done, it's not so bad. I have a friend who just retired from the legal department of a university. They had used word perfect for years and were told everything had to be changed over to word. It was as much work to do that as what you're looking at. Each document took hours - and as these were/are legal documents they couldn't afford any mistakes so it was not given to "secretaries" or "admin assistants" - each person had to do their own documents.

Programs aren't meant to be shared.

Again - email me and let me see what kind of work is involved - and what options I can find to do what you want.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

You could do a screen capture of the WORD docs and insert them as an image?
                            You would have to do minimal photo editing.
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi
                            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

And, Terry - that would be worthless to se's.
                              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X