Sometimes things ARE what they seem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes things ARE what they seem!

I thought you might be interested in this little story.

In August 2005 I returned from holiday to find a letter saying that a long lost relative had died intestate (no names of course), and if I contacted this company they would help me get my share of the inheritance.

The letter went on the junk pile.

Then I opened another letter from the a different company saying the same thing. That went the same way.

Then I found a voicemail message left for me asking me to ring the first company - I began to get a bit intrigued! Then my elderly uncle, with whom I only exchange christmas cards rang me to say he had been contaced in the same way, and what should he do?

So, I took it on, and rang one of the companies back. It turned out to be bona fide. I didn'g know, but there are companies who find people who have died intestate, and then try and search out the relatives - they take a premuim of whatever they can get for them. I only had to choose from the company who would take 33%, or the company who would take 60%! Hard choice, eh? It wasn't going to be a quick matter, either as it would up to years to finalise.

Unfortunately, my dreams of becoming a millionaire didn't come to anything, but now being in the position of having to buy a new car, I rang today to check where things had got to - I was told there would be a pay out in March, and as long as no one else had found any more relatives, I would end up with about £5000 - which is absolutely fantastic!

So, I just thought I would share this with you - we all get used to seeing the get rich quick opportunities sent on email every day, and are so used to thinking it is all a scam - but this one actually isn't!

Okay, so I never met Great Uncle Charles, and didn't even know he existed, but I am sure he would be happier that his hard earned cash had ended up with the family, rather than in the treasury. Shame I don't know anything about him - even my uncle is only just aware that he ever existed!

Oh, and a bit of a shame he didn't turn out to be a multi millionaire! But then I really shouldn't be greedy!
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Sometimes things ARE what they seem!

Hi Trish, it all sounds great after what happed to you. But be careful, this can still be a scam. Hopefully you can get the company’s details & do a few checks on them. Better to be safe than sorry.
    To get anything that may be due, you should not have to spend one penny of your own money, as this sort of company would get their fees from the estate via a solicitor.
    Saying this we had a similar situation about 10 years ago. This only amounted to £35.00 to each of the family, had to lol as we thought it might be a large amount.
    But the ironic thing was that he had travelled all over the world for most of his life & passed away in a hospital 15 miles away from where we live. (Strange)

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Interesting, your lawyer (solicitor) would know how to handle that one.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Don't worry - this all checked out. We had the option of using one of these companies who take a heck of a lot of commission (1/3rd of the payout in our case), but at least do all the leg work, or doing it all ourselves. Being lazy we left it to them (mind you, knowing how much just one solicitor's letter costs the actual charge would probably not have been much different).

And no, I haven't been asked for any money, and wouldn't part with any if I had!
        Trish
        www.Limebrook.com
        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Trish, that's nice news.

And, yes, there are people who buy those lists and go looking for the people - and earn their living on the % they take. It's a legitimate business. You, luckily, are the recipient of real money! So great.

I got lucky last year on a much smaller scale. I used to belong to an electric coop where I had lived in the 90's - and they wanted to send me about $70 - but I had moved once too often. Being a utility they have to, occasionally, list the names of the missing recipients in a local newspaper. My sister just happened to see my name and got in contact with them, and I got the entire check.

Lots and lots of money out there like yours and mine - which is why some people can make money finding us. Hope you have figured out where you're going to use the money!
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Great news Trish
            Sharon Chajin

Comment

Good news about the inheritance Trish.

Comment

Trish

Okay. this is great news for you .... but I am still not convinced.

Please do not give out any of your own details, bank accounts etc.

Identity Theft is very high ... not just scams ... something to think about....

It sounds like a very long time has passed, August 2005 until now?

I don't know ... be very careful ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

No worries LE - the solicitor handling the estate pays a cheque direct to me, and to the other beneficiaries, and pays a separate cheque to the company who traced us and is doing the work. No details of mine, or any payment, needs to be handed over.

And the delay was whilst the courts had to make sure that everything had been done to trace any other living relatives who might have a claim. That's the only sticking point - that another company may have found another bloodline with a claim! In this case i really do hope that I don't discover that I have any missing relatives! (How selfish, eh?)
                  Trish
                  www.Limebrook.com
                  www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                  www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Just thought you'd like an update to this story - just received a cheque for almost £24k!!!!!
                    Trish
                    www.Limebrook.com
                    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                    www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Way to Go Trish!
                      What great fortune! Congratulations.
                      Liz
                      www.sebastopolparty.com
                      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

My brother, who is a USA resident, received a similar cheque. He went to his bank to pay it in. They looked suspiciously at the large amount in sterling, and asked him what it was for.

He said it was from the estate of a relative who died.

And did you know this relative, they asked?

Er, no. He replied!

They were then very suspicious and thought he'd been caught by a phony email and pulled into something to do with money laundering! LOL It's going to take 10 weeks for his cheque to clear whilst they check.

Mind you - it sounds a fortune in dollars!
                        Trish
                        www.Limebrook.com
                        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Apparently a lot of relatives were discovered - there were 42 claimants in all! My family had the closest relationship, and therefore the bulk of the payout.

Would definitely like to find out more about the old chap. What I think is sad is that even my uncle, the only other relative on our side apart from myself and my brother, didn't even know about him.

According to the docs I've been sent Great Uncle Charles lived in Streatham all his life where my dad and uncle were brought up! Must have been some rift in the family way back when. Shame that there is no one left to tell the story!
                          Trish
                          www.Limebrook.com
                          www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                          www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Working...
                          X