Preview folder location on HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview folder location on HD

I would like to be able to change the default location of the preview folder. Right now it's a sub of Temp folder meaning I have to copy it every time I run WindowWasher. I can't exclude sub-folders from the washing process. It's either all or nothing. WindowWasher recovers too much dead space on HD to discontinue using it or to exclude the Temp folders.

I suppose there is a reason why the preview folder is a sub of Temp although I don't understand why it should be, considering I might take may days (if not weeks) to complete a site.
    Norbert

N. Majerus
    Specialties Distributors Inc.
    Barbados, W.I.

http://specialties-distributors.com

The reason why the files are in the temp folder is, because these are temporary files optimized for preview only. THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!
    Although it might work to copy them to another folder, we do not garanty they will work and as you've noticed it takes an lot of time, it might even be invalid code or images may become unusable once you copy them to your website.

Please use the publish feature to generate valid and stable HTML pages.
    Forum Moderator
    BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo
      The reason why the files are in the temp folder is, because these are temporary files optimized for preview only. THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!
      Although it might work to copy them to another folder, we do not garanty they will work and as you've noticed it takes an lot of time, it might even be invalid code or images may become unusable once you copy them to your website.

Please use the publish feature to generate valid and stable HTML pages.
      Pablo, thanks for your prompt reply. Do you guys ever take a day off? Actually I have no problem moving the folders back and forth. It's just a pain in the 'seating area'. But why can't I make the default to Desktop (or whatever), for instance? I don't mind the little extra time for a preview. We are looking at what, microseconds?

Am I asking for something no one else wants or needs?

I want to take this opportunity to say that BlueVoda is in a class by itself. It's excellent. I did our company website 5 years ago with Dreamweaver. I thought it's about time for a renewal and actually bought new version of Dreamweaver just before came across BV. Dreamweaver is installed and idle. I do have to re-learn a number of things but so would I with the new version of Dreamweaver.

When I look at Ruthie's and Maddog (Simon) site(s) I realize I am just a novice. Maybe one of these days I can approach their artistitry while still being able to have a functional site.
      Norbert

N. Majerus
      Barbados, W.I.

Comment

Pablo, I have an other question....what do you mean by.. THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!
        Norbert

N. Majerus
        Barbados, W.I.

Comment

Originally posted by specialtiesbarbados
          Pablo, I have an other question....what do you mean by.. THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!
          The HTML code that's generated for preview in the browser is not the same as the HTML generated when published to your website. The 'preview HTML' is optimized for display on your local computer, but not for webservers.
          By 'production purposes' I mean that the files are only created for temporary display (that's why they're in the temporary folder), the HTML might even contain 'debug' code which slows down performance or stops it from displaying on other computers.
          Anyway, do not use the HTML files from your temp folder.
          Forum Moderator
          BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

Thanks, Pablo, I will have another look at your reply...maybe tomorrow or at the latest Monday. You see, it's about time to have a dip in the sea. See? Si?
            Norbert

N. Majerus
            Barbados, W.I.

Comment

Working...
            X