Add on being a different company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add on being a different company?

Hi, I am very confused about add on domains etc.
    I want to have another website for another business I do from home.
    I only want it to be a 1 or 2 pages site (catering business).
    Can I somehow have it using my current vodahost website without it actually linking (don't want customers knowing I have 2 companies).
    Or do I have to submit like I did for my 1st site and pay 2 separate fee's. I hope I am making sense in what I am asking.
    Can someone please point me in the right direction. Do I require to get a new domain or can I somehow have them connected without being connected directly?
    Thank you

Leanne

Re: Add on being a different company?

Originally posted by willows
    Hi, I am very confused about add on domains etc.
    I want to have another website for another business I do from home.
    I only want it to be a 1 or 2 pages site (catering business).
    Can I somehow have it using my current vodahost website without it actually linking (don't want customers knowing I have 2 companies).
    Or do I have to submit like I did for my 1st site and pay 2 separate fee's. I hope I am making sense in what I am asking.
    Can someone please point me in the right direction. Do I require to get a new domain or can I somehow have them connected without being connected directly?
    Thank you

Leanne

Hi Willows

With your one Voda Host Hosting account you can have as many domains as you like, unlimited in this manner.

You can order a new domain name for this other business of yours that you would like to open. Check their prices.

You will add this to your account, as an add on domain.
    You will have only the one control panel, one voda hosting account, but you will have two domains ...

You will publish to the same ip address but to a different directory ... that directory being your add on domain ...

You publish your main domain (the current one you have) to public_html

Your new domain you would publish to public_html/nameofnewdomain

With this method no one is aware that these are both your sites.

A sub-domain is free, however, in the url, it does contain the name of your main domain - so is visible to viewers .

Hope this helps ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you Ladyeye.
      Do they have tutorials for subdomains because I will be honest, I am totally lost. But I am grateful that you told me that I can use the one account which is really good.
      As I was a learner with my original web I am not really up with everything but certainly learning. So basically, I need to get a domain first like I did with my original. Once I have that is there a tutorial for sub domains?
      If not I am in trouble.

Leanne

Comment

Please note that you will add this new domain as "Addon domain", not as subdomain. Subdomains are NOT independent.

To watch a tutorial about ADDON domains, please watch (Click on the icon.)
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
          Please note that you will add this new domain as "Addon domain", not as subdomain. Subdomains are NOT independent.

To watch a tutorial about ADDON domains, please watch (Click on the icon.)
          Thank you. So I basically get my domain name, set it up as per tutorial in cpanel as add on, do my web as per my 1st, can still have main page as index however when i publish i just make sure that it has public html/newaddondomain and thats it???
          so what will my website address actually be - say for example www.2ndwebsite is add on, and www.1stwebsite.com.au is my main, will the add on web address be www.2ndwebsite.com.au or www.1stwebsite/2ndwebsite.com.au

Am I driving you mad yet???

Leanne

Comment

Yes, that's pretty much like it. Please note that there are some small differences between the tutorial and the actual addon domain addition wizard. The main is that you don't need to fill in the folder name, CP will do it automatically for you, and the folder that will be created will have the same name as your addon domain. If you like to give it a name that you want, by typing it, you can still do it, but a different name would be confusing. The new domain web address will be www.2ndwebsite.com.au . You can ALSO reach it as www.2ndwebsite.1stwebsite.com.au and as www.1stwebsite.com.au/2ndwebsite because adding an addon also automatically creates a subdomain with the same name (but not viceversa) .

To publish in that addon domain, in the publish window , in the field folder, you type "public_html/2ndwebsite" . You also need to create a folder on your computer, and save all pages of this new domain in that folder, so you wll avoid confusing pages between the two sites, and overwritting similarly named pages (index is the first one that would be overwritten)
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
              Yes, that's pretty much like it. Please note that there are some small differences between the tutorial and the actual addon domain addition wizard. The main is that you don't need to fill in the folder name, CP will do it automatically for you, and the folder that will be created will have the same name as your addon domain. If you like to give it a name that you want, by typing it, you can still do it, but a different name would be confusing. The new domain web address will be www.2ndwebsite.com.au . You can ALSO reach it as www.2ndwebsite.1stwebsite.com.au and as www.1stwebsite.com.au/2ndwebsite because adding an addon also automatically creates a subdomain with the same name (but not viceversa) .

To publish in that addon domain, in the publish window , in the field folder, you type "public_html/2ndwebsite" . You also need to create a folder on your computer, and save all pages of this new domain in that folder, so you wll avoid confusing pages between the two sites, and overwritting similarly named pages (index is the first one that would be overwritten)
              Sorry I am a little confused here. Sorry for being such an idiot.
              I basically just want to make 1 page for my catering (very basic).
              So I cannot call it 'index'?
              And excuse my ignorance. What do you mean create a folder on my computer (as you can see I am not an expert). Can I not just open a page where my other website is and just do the 1 simple page and call it ie. baked potatoes? Set up what I need and just publish. Would that do the trick??? It is going to be very basic.
              I know, I am a pain in the Butt......

Comment

Sorry I am a little confused here. Sorry for being such an idiot.
                I basically just want to make 1 page for my catering (very basic).
                So I cannot call it 'index'?
                And excuse my ignorance. What do you mean create a folder on my computer (as you can see I am not an expert). Can I not just open a page where my other website is and just do the 1 simple page and call it ie. baked potatoes? Set up what I need and just publish. Would that do the trick??? It is going to be very basic.
                I know, I am a pain in the Butt......
                The BlueVoda folder on your pc contains all your pages - where you save the work that you do on your site. It will have your index page and all the others that you have built for your first website.

You need to create a new folder here called something like "second_site". Any pages you make for your second site will need to be saved in this new folder.

Your second site (domain) will need an index page - even if that is the only page your site will have - it still has to be called index. Now if you didn't save that into the new (second_site) folder it would overwrite the index page that you built for your first site. That's why you need a different folder for each site you build.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
                  The BlueVoda folder on your pc contains all your pages - where you save the work that you do on your site. It will have your index page and all the others that you have built for your first website.

You need to create a new folder here called something like "second_site". Any pages you make for your second site will need to be saved in this new folder.

Your second site (domain) will need an index page - even if that is the only page your site will have - it still has to be called index. Now if you didn't save that into the new (second_site) folder it would overwrite the index page that you built for your first site. That's why you need a different folder for each site you build.

Thank you very much, it makes more sense. Time will now tell!
                  Thank you everyone who has responded to me, really appreciate your help. Hopefully you wont all hear from me about this again.
                  It was a challenge for me to do the 1st and now I can do that one so easily which I am pleased about now. I thought the add on would have been the same. Glad I have been informed about the folder because I would have just done it as an extra page with my 1st. Thanks heaps, you are all just lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill

Ok, so you thought that was the end of me. I feel like an idiot asking this question. I am assuming when you open a folder it obviously has to still be in the Blue Voda section. When I tried to open a folder the folder was amongst my original website pages. I honestly do not have a clue where to open this folder to and how will I know I am in the right folder when I do my so called easy 1 page which has now become my hard 1 page. I feel like I am back at the beginning again!!!

Comment

Ok, so you thought that was the end of me. I feel like an idiot asking this question. I am assuming when you open a folder it obviously has to still be in the Blue Voda section. When I tried to open a folder the folder was amongst my original website pages. I honestly do not have a clue where to open this folder to and how will I know I am in the right folder when I do my so called easy 1 page which has now become my hard 1 page. I feel like I am back at the beginning again!!!
                      ITS OK, STUPID ME HAS GOT IT, MMMMM. And the blonde is fake.

Comment

Working...
                      X