Password Protecting A Directory..Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Protecting A Directory..Why?

I was experimenting with this to see how it works. I did a search here for "password protecting" and I think I did it correctly..this is what i did...

In my Blue FTP I set up a folder in my public_html titled "members". Then I created a test page entitled "test" saved ..then published it to the "members" folder.

On the web...If i type www.mysite.com/members I get the passord box..but if I simply type www.mysite.com/test it takes me right to the page inside the protected folder...no password needed to access it.

Did I do something wrong?..if not, I don't see the point of "protecting" a page, if you can accesss it directly if you know the correct URL.

Re: Password Protecting A Directory..Why?

Once you have entered the password, your computer has probable saved it and allows you to enter again.

come out of your browser and then go back in to the protected folder...........
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi david,

thanks for the reply..I'll try it again, but i don't think I even entered a password..i just tried it and when I got password box I just closed it, then typed www.mysite.com/test in my address bar and got the page inside the protected directory.

Comment

Well of course, now that I tried it again it seems to work properly..I get a "page not found" error if i type www.mysite.com/test.html I tried that so many times before i posted so that I didn't look like a boob...oh well...

Comment

Working...
        X