Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Take Back My Vocabulary" Campaign Has Begun

Hey Y'all,

The campaigne has begun to take back your vocabulary.

Did you know that most of these quote on quote dirty words could/actually mean something pleasant? Yep, uh huh, correct to all of the above. There are so many words out there that used to be acceptable to use in everyday speech but have been perverted by the populace, so they have become taboo. Well people, what do you say we get them back...if only in VodaLand.

Please Note:

My fellow Threaders, please try to make this as clean as possible as this is still a G rated forum.

Moderators, some words may be words that we wouldn't normally use, but are words that are not appropriate to use.

Ok, to start you off. My first word is

Masturbation

Meaning: you know....

But did you also know that you could use this word to mean "a waste of time" or "stupid"? True, I've heard it used. Almost knocked my socks off. Don't bother looking in the dictionary...not gonna find it.

My sentence:

When having a conversation, I prefer being direct and straight to the point; anything else is a complete masturbation.

So, while in VodaLand, if you find yourself replying to a post and so happen to be using the phrase "waste of time" or "stupid", use "masturbation" instead. BUT, link the word to this thread so that the person has a clue as to what you mean and not take offense.

Re: The "Take Back My Vocabulary" Campaign Has Begun

Moderator, could you delete this thread? We have a 15 year old in the mix and ...need I say more?

Comment

GAY: In the by-gone days of the silver screen as late as 1967, it was a commonly used term to describe a freewheeling sense of levity and enjoyment, often referred as a general feeling of "gaity." I even remember pre-Govenor Ronald Reagan in a black and white movie flirting with a lovely young lady commenting on how "gay she was" and thus having caught his eye...
      The came the '70s when it took a whole new meaning, and as the leftover anti-establishmentarianism and social rebellion spilled across idealogical as well as class and gender lines, by the time the '80s rolled in it was firmly re-rooted to describe one's sexual orientation, often proudly!

Currently, a dual meaning has emerged, and forces us to pay close attention to not only the context is was used in, but also the social setting and the obvious manner (who, or what "kind" of who) it is being used, for it can be used as:
      1. Gay, as in sexual reference "He is so gay"
      2. Gay, as in weak or pathetic (a thinly veiled allusion to #1 despite any excuse offered) "That concert was totally gay!"
      3. Gay, as in inappropriate or incorrect (still somehow alluding to #1) "That jacket is totally gay with that skirt, girlfriend!"

Seems that we have lost much of the funs words used to be and held onto a lot of unecessary social baggage filled with ignorance along the way.....in my opinion. When my kids use this term like this, I start to feel older, as I do not get even the hint of why this became so popular.....I understood at least a little of the valley girl nonsense, but this is one that sticks out right now.

I totally preferred using words that confuse rather than infuse, like one of my favorite '70s phrases..."That car is so bad!"
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

nice one, Vasili. Anybody else? And remember, if you can, please keep it clean.

Comment

Working...
        X