Save The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save The Internet

ALL builders and designers of small websites should be really concerned about some things going through the US Congress right now.

Some internet providers want to charge a fee to have some websites load faster than others on their networks. What does that mean to you? If you have a small website dedicated to, say, your travel agency (just an example), you'll have to come up with some money to be able to keep up with the major travel sites.

If Congress allows these measures to go into place, thousands of "small" voices will be silenced by the spending power of corporate giants.

You can make your feelings on this known by visiting SavetheInternet.com

They have a petition for you to sign, along with many other tools to help us spread the word and ask others to take action. You DO NOT have to be a US resident to use these resources.

The below is a recent article from MSNBC.com detailing this:

WASHINGTON - Sensing a revolution in the way Internet traffic is managed, rock and roll musicians find themselves in the unusual position of defending the status quo.

Independent, lesser-known musicians and smaller record labels have launched a nationwide campaign Tuesday to support the idea that all Internet traffic should be treated equally, which they said is under fire from Internet providers who want to charge a fee to have some Web sites load faster than others.

The Rock the Net campaign, made up mostly of musicians who are on smaller record labels or none at all, said they are fearful that if the so-called "Net neutrality" principle is abandoned their music may not be heard because they don't have the financial means to pay for preferential treatment.

Some said they don't want to pay. The Web, they said, has allowed many unknown musicians to put their music online, giving fans instant access to new music and giving bands greater marketing capabilities.

They said independent record labels are also on an equal Web footing with major players like ***** Inc.'s iTunes.

"It could be a pretty sad world where money alone buys the ears and anybody that can't afford it, can't get proper placement, is pushed off to the ghettos," said Derek Sivers, owner of CD Baby, an online store that sells compact discs by independent musicians.

The group is the latest to get involved in the Net neutrality issue.

SavetheInternet.com is a coalition of more than 800 groups — ranging from liberal political groups, such as MoveOn.org, to conservative groups, such as the Christian Coalition of America — that support the issue. That campaign was formed more than a year ago and is organized by Free Press, a national public interest group.

On the other side, phone and cable companies, including AT&T Inc., Verizon Communications Inc. and Comcast Corp., want the freedom to charge content providers for priority Web traffic. They contend any legislation affirming Net neutrality would harm investment and innovation in the Internet.

Former musician Jenny Toomey, who is now executive director of the Future of Music Coalition, a nonprofit advocacy group for independent musicians, said this issue is so important that it has even attracted some big name artists, such as R.E.M., Sarah McLachlan and even Kronos Quartet, a classical musical string ensemble.

"Never before have I been doing work for the music community where every single artist that we called said, 'Yes use my name. I'm on board to support this,'" she said during a teleconference Tuesday morning. Her group is one of the campaign's organizers.

Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., who chairs the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, said if Internet providers are allowed to start charging fees for preferential treatment then it will stifle innovation across many industries, not just music.

"This is nothing more than a new bottleneck fee, a corporate broadband tax that will discriminate against less powerful voices and those unable or unwilling to pay such discriminatory fees," he said during the teleconference.

He complained that the Federal Communications Commission isn't doing enough to protect Net neutrality.

However, the FCC said last week it will see if Internet providers are conducting any such discriminatory business practices.

It said it will study how high-speed Internet providers are managing traffic on their networks and if they're charging different prices for different speeds or levels of service. The FCC might adopt regulations to ensure all Web traffic is treated the same.

Besides the Future of Music Coalition, the Rock the Net campaign is sponsored by Noise Pop Industries, which sponsors an annual San Francisco music festival among other things, and Zeitgeist Artist Management, which manages musicians.

According to the campaign's Web site, 124 bands and 24 music labels support the initiative.
    My NASCAR Forum

Re: Save The Internet

this is interesting Race, to say the least. I will forward this to my clients as I have only worked with small businesses. How unfair is THIS?

Comment

I for one have signed this petition and I urge ALL the VH family to do the same......................good post Race........
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Great post indeed .... hmmmm though

This is what I received as a Canadian, when I chose to participate ....
        Even though it appears you can be a Canadian to participate.

We're sorry but it appears that you are not eligible to participate in this campaign. This campaign is designated for constituents of the targeted decisionmaker(s) and based upon your address, it appears that you do not live in an area represented by the targeted decisionmaker(s). If you would like to correct your address information, please return to

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

OK this is unfair!! I cant believe some people!!

Comment

This a very serious subject, if the telcos win, our children and all future generations lose.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you for reminding us of the continuing subterfuge surrounding the Net Neutrality Act. The outcome will momentous, and surely affect the future of the World Wide Web.

Now that AOL, Google, and Yahoo! have pretty much cemented their Certified Email programs in place (beginning last year and completing in January) ahead of what they see a "win" by ISP's, the fracturing of classes has already begun with the creation of "tiers" of Users, and "protected customer communities" being hawked to advertisers in a huge scale. Using this practice as precedence, ISP's have gained false legitimacy and are already trying to leverage Congress' ignorance to their favor.

Sad, but having fought against Certified Mail so prominently to no avail, I have nothing but foreboding expectations for a Net Neutrality resolution that will be either fair or without condition......
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                Great post indeed .... hmmmm though

This is what I received as a Canadian, when I chose to participate ....
                Even though it appears you can be a Canadian to participate.

We're sorry but it appears that you are not eligible to participate in this campaign. This campaign is designated for constituents of the targeted decisionmaker(s) and based upon your address, it appears that you do not live in an area represented by the targeted decisionmaker(s). If you would like to correct your address information, please return to
                May I suggest stretching the truth a bit? lol You may not be a US resident, but your site is hosted here, so I'd say that makes you at least a part time resident of Dallas, TX.

Even if you can't sign the petition, there are other tools available, some of which you might find useful, such as the "tell a friend" forms, etc.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

And you are so clever!! I can do that! And I shall make postings on other boards and I will tell a friend, righteo!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Race,

Thanks for the info. I sent the email message off for the petition. I really think this is unfair also. It's like mom & pop stores fighting Walmart.
                    Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by ace5548
                      Race,

Thanks for the info. I sent the email message off for the petition. I really think this is unfair also. It's like mom & pop stores fighting Walmart.
                      That's a very good way to look at it.

Sometime tomorrow, I'll post the text of an email I got from my congressman here in North Carolina. It's pretty clear that this person is already in the pocket of the hosting companies.
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Hi Race,

I would really be interested in seeing the text of that email. It is as usual; the rich keep getting richer and the not so rich--meaning the rest of us--keep getting the same.

I believe that if this does pass the character of the internet will have changed completely and permanently and all the efforts of the folks who put their life and soul into SEO will have done it for naught when the price of space on the internet becomes a retail value for the rich instead of the free enterprise and information place it has always been.
                        Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

This is the email I received. It's very clear that this person isn't knowledgeable on the subject and is simply quoting the BS he's being fed.

Dear Dan,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Net Neutrality. As your Congressman, your views on this issue are extremely important to me.

Net neutrality is an issue that has been a concern of network engineers since the birth of the Internet. Net neutrality, in the eyes of network engineers, centers on the role of the transmission network acting as a “dumb” pipe that simply carries information offered by content and service providers to the end user. More recently, people have come to understand net neutrality as simply a consumer’s ability to access content and services. The accessibility of content providers or service providers to the network has widely been ignored as of late.

I believe the issue of net neutrality needs to be addressed from both angles, that of the providers as well as the consumer. The Internet was built on a framework that fostered innovation which required the network operator to provide non-discriminatory transmission upon reasonable request. Some innovations have led to what some consider unreasonable requests.

The demand for bandwidth from both consumers and content providers is doubling every year, and is expected to grow four-fold to six-fold each year through the next decade. Bandwidth allocation issues are nothing new; in 2003, Duke University found that 10% of the users on their residential student network were using 90% of the bandwidth. So, Duke University limited students’ use to five gigabytes-per-day in an effort to provide equal access to all students. People viewing streaming videos or downloading entire movies, for example, were compromising others users’ ability to simply check email or view a news website.

Many telephone and cable companies are currently proposing commercial arrangements with content providers to relay their content more effectively and quickly over the companies’ networks. The companies hold firm that service for content providers choosing not to engage in a commercial arrangement will not be degraded. It is their belief that the extra revenue from these commercial arrangements will help them upgrade their network to meet the demands of innovation. Included in the COPE Act, as currently written, is a $500,000 fine for broadband providers that block lawful content.

It is an honor to serve as your United States Representative, and I look forward to tackling the issues 8th District voters sent me here to address. Please know that I have assembled what I believe is the most responsive and courteous staff in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcomed, and if ever we may be of assistance, please don't hesitate to call.

Sincerely,
                          Robin Hayes
                          Member of Congress
                          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Yep, sure looks like it.

We emailed our son and he says that he signed the petition over a year ago. I really wonder how long this has been going on. Is it really something that has just jumped up to see or has it been building for years? I am concerned that the "people who are in charge of looking out for the country and its citizens" are doing nothing but looking out for themselves. (porkbarrel politics has always stunk and continues to do so)
                            Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

It's been around for a while, but the major providers are putting more of a push on it lately.
                              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X