Custom 404 for addon domain???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 404 for addon domain???

I know how to create a custom 404 error message for the main domain but how do i do this for an addon domain? Is it possible?
    Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
    FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Re: Custom 404 for addon domain???

Hi Mook

Good question ...

What you can do, although there may be another way ... is create the 404 page just like you know how, then move the file from one directory to the other, I think you just move it into the cgi bin of your other directory, (sub-domains, add on domains, etc.) but then it will work.

Hope this helps ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Ladyeye. Thanks for the quick response. I'm creating the 404 within cpanel. Do i just copy the code within this to a text document and save as 404.html, then upload to the cgi folder?
      FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

Originally posted by Mook25
        Hi Ladyeye. Thanks for the quick response. I'm creating the 404 within cpanel. Do i just copy the code within this to a text document and save as a .html file then upload to the cgi folder?
        Hi Mook

No, actually after you create it, go and find it in your public_html directory, click on the folder, and over on the right side of your screen will be, delete, move, copy etc., so choose copy then click over to your add ons domain folder and it will copy in there, If I remember correctly, it lands in your cgi bin, different from your main domain, but this works ... ... to be sure you did it correctly, just go and type in your add on domains url with a page that doesn't exist and it should show up for you .... I

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hmmm! Doesn't seem to work for me. I tried both putting the 404 file in the root of the domain and the cgi folder.

Comment

Hmmm! Doesn't seem to work for me. I tried both putting the 404 file in the root of the domain and the cgi folder.

Oh goodness, hmmm .... okay let's start again then ....

You go into the file manager and create a 404 page ...

You then go into the public_html directory, cause this is where the file is kept ... you then click on the file, not the name and the file name will appear on the right upper side of your screen, you then click move this file or copy this file ... it should then come up and say, you must choose where you want to move this file, so on the left again, you navigate yourself into the add on domains directory, cgi bin for that one, and that should be it ....

Close out, and if you go into the add on directory cgi bin, you should see the 404 file there ...

You did do a write up in the text area when you created the 404 file right??

here look at mine

Both of these pages do not exist ... so I'll move them out of here in a minute

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

It's ok, i found another way around it i just created a .htaccess file. If anybody else needs to know how to do this. follow these instructions.

Create a file called ".htaccess" in your addon domain folder. When doing so, just make an empty text file in Notepad or whatever, and make sure you start the filename with a dot — it's vital. This means that it is no longer a text file — the file suffix will be .htaccess, so it doesn't have a filename of its own.

Now you need to point this file to your custom page. Add this line to the .htaccess file (edit it with a text editor like Notepad):

Code:
              ErrorDocument 404 http://www.example.com/404page.php
              Make sure it's all on one line, and change that address to the full address of your newly created page.

The address you put for the file needs to be the path from the parent site in order for it to work.

For example: ErrorDocument 404 http://www.addondomain.com/404page.php will not work
              but ErrorDocument 404 http://www.parentdomain.com/addondirectory/404page.php does work

And that should do it.

Thanks for your help on this one. I'm usually ok on this sort of thing but guess the time off work is getting to me now. lol

Comment

Well Mook

The path of the 404 does not need to have the main domains name in it to work.

You simply create a 404 page and move it from one directory to the other ... this works ... too simple ...

less coding, just moving the file around from directory to directory ...

But glad you got it working ...

I am going to remove those links I made for you now ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

It probably is but for some reason with me, simple things never work. lol
                  They're probably that simple that i miss the point all together. Thanks for your help though.

Comment

It probably is but for some reason with me, simple things never work. lol
                    They're probably that simple that i miss the point all together. Thanks for your help though.

Mook

Just a suggestion for you ... try moving just a file around, firstly so you can be sure you are doing that correctly ....

like make yourself a page, publish it in one directory and then move it to another and see if you can master that ...

I think that is where you may be going wrong ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Ladyeye, it was just me being a bit thick. I can do it now. lol

Comment

Thanks Ladyeye, it was just me being a bit thick. I can do it now. lol
                        hey Mook

Glad you got it, what's that saying "Through Thick & Thin We Always Seem to Win" ... I know what you mean though, it seems it wasn't moving it but it did ... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                        X