Adding a username and password to the index page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a username and password to the index page

I am currently building a web site and am new to to BlueVoda. Because of the sensitivity of the information contained in my web site, I would like to have it password protected with both a username and password.

Any ideas how to create or build this into the opening page (index)

Thanks!

Danny

Re: Adding a username and password to the index page

If you want a limited number of usernames/passwords, you can password protect the folder where the protected pages will be. Have a look at http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm

If, instead you want a user defined username/password, the you need a custom made login script. Have a look at http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/logginexamples.php

If you used Soholaunch, you could also define groups and have a login. However, this would also be manually defined.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Naval!

I need to pass protect the entire site as only a select few will have access to the information contained in the web site.

Any further thoughts to make it seemless?

Danny

Comment

The simplest way then, is a password protected directory.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Naval!

So before I continue building all my pages in bvp format, this is what I am going to do:

1) Create a folder (website) in a windows explorer(directory) that will contain the index file as well as the 6 folders that will contain all my .html files, documents, PDF's etc.

2) I will then attach a password to that particular folder (website) once it is uploaded.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

dan

Comment

Question for Navaldesign:

I understand the details about loading my files into a password-protected directory. After viewing the tutorial in your post, I am still in the dark about setting up my index.html page which will have the prompts (username and passowrd) to get through to the homepage.

When a person enters onto the site (index.html), then enters the username and password and then clicks on "GO", will the server take care of the dynamics to let them into the directory? Is there anything else I have to be aware of?

Thanks!

Comment

Dan,
              when you password protect a folder (directory), you do not place any username / password input in your page. It's the server, that when anyone tries to reach a page that is inside the protected directory, will send to the user's browser the necessary "instructions" to make the login window popup. And yes, as soon as they enter the correct username/password, the server will take care of the necessary dynamics (it will check if the user / pass are correct) and it will allow (if correct) or disallow (if wrong) acess to the required page.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                Dan,
                when you password protect a folder (directory), you do not place any username / password input in your page. It's the server, that when anyone tries to reach a page that is inside the protected directory, will send to the user's browser the necessary "instructions" to make the login window popup. And yes, as soon as they enter the correct username/password, the server will take care of the necessary dynamics (it will check if the user / pass are correct) and it will allow (if correct) or disallow (if wrong) acess to the required page.
                Thanks Naval!

I have created a page for the login window that pops up? Would it not be my index.html page?

Comment

Dan, you do NOT create a page with login details input. That's only useful if you use a loggin script.
                  When you use a pass protected folder, the login window will automatically popup when a user tries to reach a page inside that folder.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks Naval!

Just thought I might be able to use some graphics for that page, but I guess not!

I take it that it will just pop up a default type login screen that will then take them to my index page?

Danny

Comment

Yes, excactly.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Danny: If you access my website, http://www.journeyshappen.com and click on Training Tools in the Nav bar, I think this is what Naval is talking about. It automatically pops up and you must have a user id and password to enter this portion of my website. If you want anything more than that, then you probably need the script. Is this right Naval?
                        Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Yes, that's exactly that. If, on the other hand, you need a customized login page, then you need a custom script, like the one in http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/logginstep2.php
                          Navaldesign

Comment

You could have some graphics and a log in on your index page......

If you make the "LOG IN" as text which will have the link to your protected areas.

No form or script will then be required................kind of like an entry page.
                            Have fun
                            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                            Newbies / Beginners Forum
                            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                              Yes, that's exactly that. If, on the other hand, you need a customized login page, then you need a custom script, like the one in http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/logginstep2.php
                              Hi naval

Due to the sensitivity of my web content, this is EXACTLY what I need! I don't even want viewers to see the content on the front page and would be ideal if they came to a login page such as the example you had.

What would it take (script) to set something like what you have setup.

Thanks!

Danny

Comment

Working...
                              X