404 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 404 Question

My error log shows a few 404 (file missing) messages for file name favicon.ico each day. This is not my own file. I don't know which files call this file. Does anyone know about this file? Where can I get it?

jjmao1

Re: Another 404 Issue

Hi there

A favicon is a little graphic that appears before the url of your domain in the address bar, also shows up on the favorites list. You must have uploaded this favicon to your public_html directory at some point ...

This favicon does not appear to load all of the time in all browsers, so therefore a 404 error message "file missing" would be recorded for those times that it did not load.

You can go in and check in your public_html directory and find that image, you might recognize it then ..

If you wanted to reinstall it again, there are threads here on the forum that refer to the generators available to do so ... do a search for favicon ... you will find many.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you LadyEye. I checked all my directories including add-on domain directories. I cannot find this file anywhere. But I do see the little graphic when I load my sites. It looks like a single piece of paper but curled at top right corner. Does it mean a broken graphic or what?

You said that " This favicon does not appear to load all of the time in all browsers, so therefore a 404 error message "file missing" would be recorded for those times that it did not load." So how can I totally avoid this error?

I noticed some visitors of my sites jumped out right after this error message occurred.

jjmao1

Comment

Have you created a 404 page? If not, this is why its showing as missing.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I don't have a 404 page created yet. I have been thinking to have one done even before I found this problem. It looks like I have to do it right now. Where can I find a sample of 404 error page which I can use as base?

jjmao1

Comment

Create a 404 page as you like it, in BV. Save it as "404" and publish it. This serves just to upload the pictures that you have eventually used.
            Then, go back in BV, View, page HTML. Copy the entire html code.

Now go in your CP, Error pages, select the 404 page, and in the window that will appear, with the 404 page code, delete everything and paste the code you have copied from BV. Save the page, and you are done.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you Navaldesign. I have just found another way to do it. I used a php file to redirect to my site map whenever a 404 error occurs. I have tested on all three of my sites. They works fine.

Thank everybody for help.

jjmao1

Comment

Working...
              X