Alternate text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate text

I don't fully understand alt text. Does anyone feel like explaining it? Should I have alt text on every image? Should the alt text describe the image?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Re: Alternate text

Alt text is really only necessary if the image is used for a link.

If for some reason the image fails to load it will load the alt text instead

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip
      Alt text is really only necessary if the image is used for a link.

If for some reason the image fails to load it will load the alt text instead
      I don't know about anyone else but I try to use some alt text on every picture. When you put the mouse over the picture it shows the alt text, so you can use it for small comments, or names of things in the pictures.
      Makes the experience alittle more interactive, I think. just my opinion, though..
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Alt text should be used on an image rather or not its linked. Not only can YOU read it with a mouse over, so can seeing impaired programs and the SE. You should give it a good description with KEYWORDS. Added plus is it can also be read if the picture doesnt pop up as Wat said.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi, Ditto with the above. But remember! SE’s also will recognise this tag, so giving the image alt tag a good & related key word can also be very helpful. Couple of areas where its not good to use, is background images & decoration on your pages. If you are using the image as a link? It can be useful to describe the link in the alt text. IE: if you use a header logo as a link to the home page, describe as “site name home page” But the most important part is to name your images correctly. IE: if your image was about a watch?
          It should look like http://www.mysite.com/edwardian-pocket-watch.jpg (Alt tag) of gold 1930 pocket watch thumbnail.
          But not http://www.mysite.com/epw120x120th.jpg with no alt tag. It will never be found by the SE’s unless you know of someone that may enter “epw120x120th” as a search.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

Liz, interaction is always good!

Karen, glad you mentioned the seeing impaired. I was wondering about that.

Chris, thanks for the tip on background images & decorations. I was going to tackle them all!

Thanks again guys!
            Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Comment

Working...
            X