question about image optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about image optimization

I have a question about fast loading vs quality when optimizing images.
    I frequently use the image optimizer tool (thanks LadyEye for that hook-up), but in this particualr instance I am unsure.

I have a gob of pages which are all going to be jpg images. These are pages which are basically snapshot images of partial pages from a catalog I was given to use,which is in PDF format.

I don't necessarily want to use the pdf format (it is long, and bulky, and I don't really like it so much).
    This catalog is not going to be used for online purchases, though the business owner wants the pricing to be there for information purposes.

What is giving me heartburn at the moment is the load times of the pages due to the image size.

When I optimize it down to reduce the load time there is such a degradation of image quality that I think it looks hard to read; or at the very least, it becomes less *****, maybe too blurry.

Could someone look at these two pages and give me opinions about the readablilty of the *****er one vs the less ***** one?
    I am especially interested to know if the load time is seriously affected by the resolution change.... or if the load time is way too much for either of them..

There will be nearly 90 of these pages, and I sure don't want to get them all done and find out I made the wrong choice...

(BTW I will be putting the site up for review as soon as I get this phase completed..)

Okay here they are:

This one has the optimized image:
    http://www.pondandgardennursery.com/books.html

and

This one has the not optimized (heavier) image
    http://www.pondandgardennursery.com/books1.html

Thank you so much..
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Re: question about image optimization

What size images are we talking about Liz? Pixel x pixel?

The loading time of the optimised page is slightly faster on loading time than the heavy page.

Your page with all the graphic on it to me is a very light page compared to my home page that I am designing which is full of graphic and photos. Yet my page opens in a snap when I preview in the browser.

So what is making your page heavy???
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman
      What size images are we talking about Liz? Pixel x pixel?

The loading time of the optimised page is slightly faster on loading time than the heavy page.

Your page with all the graphic on it to me is a very light page compared to my home page that I am designing which is full of graphic and photos. Yet my page opens in a snap when I preview in the browser.

So what is making your page heavy???
      It is the image of the catalog page, which is the issue here.
      on books the image is 84,692 and on books 1 it is a whoppong 126,712

they are of course the same size, pixel wise.

The home page on that site is has many more images too, but with photos I am able to optimize more without sacrificing quality.

That is the problem I am having here.

I know these are huge, but don't exactly know what to do about it.
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Hi, the optimised one is too much & has over distorted with only a 40’ish KB gain. I would stick with the larger one if there is no choice. It is only 123 kb which is a bit lager than maybe wanted, but buy no means massive.
        Are you going to use this page for selling from or just an idea for what this company sells if you visit them in person?
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Liz

The difference is 4 seconds only ... The quality image is 17 seconds page opening over an isdn connection - that's the target we all shoot for ... so no big deal ... go for the quality, in my opinion ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
            Hi, the optimised one is too much & has over distorted with only a 40’ish KB gain. I would stick with the larger one if there is no choice. It is only 123 kb which is a bit lager than maybe wanted, but buy no means massive.
            Are you going to use this page for selling from or just an idea for what this company sells if you visit them in person?
            The nursery owner is VERY reluctant to sell online, but he wants his catalog items online, with prices, for his customers to see. He is open to having fax or phone orders, but doesn't want to take that 'big' next step.

He is a koi pond and garden nursery guy, not so much computer guy, so change is slow...

Thanks for the input about the pic quality. That was my feeling too. I just wasn't sure how big is too big, - know what I mean?

how is the load time for you?
            Liz
            www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
              Hi Liz

The difference is 4 seconds only ... The quality image is 17 seconds page opening over an isdn connection - that's the target we all shoot for ... so no big deal ... go for the quality, in my opinion ...
              Thanks Holly, was just lookin for an im addy for you..
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
                Thanks Holly, was just lookin for an im addy for you..

oh okay, email me and i shall send it to you if u like ... hmmm ... how come we haven't done that before ... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                X