published page looks different on other comps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• published page looks different on other comps

I dled a new font and used it to make my first page. I published it and pulled up firefox to view it. It looked great. The next day I came to work and pulled up the site to show a coworker and the font was gone and it was weird.
    I can't get it to pull up that way on my comp. My hubby first pulled it up on his comp and it was normal, now it comes up on his weird too.

What have I done wrong?

linkie

Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2007, 05:11 PM. Reason: added link

Re: published page looks different on other comps

I'm having the same problem and submitted a support ticket. Read my post on Customer Website Reviews - Your Testing Ground
    Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Originally posted by sallyloudmouth View Post
      I dled a new font and used it to make my first page. I published it and pulled up firefox to view it. It looked great. The next day I came to work and pulled up the site to show a coworker and the font was gone and it was weird.
      I can't get it to pull up that way on my comp. My hubby first pulled it up on his comp and it was normal, now it comes up on his weird too.

What have I done wrong?

linkie
      I suspect you are using a non-web friendly font. There are thousands of fonts available but unless viewers have them installed on their pc then they will only see a standard one. If you have used a non-web friendly font in your design then it will probably look awful when viewd by someone who doesn't have the font. Pease check here for details on web friendly fonts.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill View Post
        I suspect you are using a non-web friendly font. There are thousands of fonts available but unless viewers have them installed on their pc then they will only see a standard one. If you have used a non-web friendly font in your design then it will probably look awful when viewd by someone who doesn't have the font. Pease check here for details on web friendly fonts.
        Any idea on how to fix my problem without remaking my pages as Customer Support suggested? All my fonts are "user friendly" but Customer Support told me that whats causing the problem is "adding/changing pictures, HTML boxes, form fields, anything. If you do this, it causes referencing problems when the pages are converted to HTML, and you would need to remake the pages."

Thanks in advance, Girlonthehill
        Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html

Comment

Pristine,,,

Here u are again, hijacking someone elses thread, and asking the same question I just answered on your other thread, and then you wonder why people get snappy and irritated. Asking in four places wont get you assisted any faster and tends to make people NOT answer you.

Support tickets are mostly for server and installation issues, and, not to give you 100% web building advice, so they wont answer you on a priority basis as they are answering and working on tech support issues, installation issues, and the functioning of the servers etc, so the fact that they answered you at all speaks to their service above and beyond their jobs.

The forum is for answering and giving you web building tips. Seriously we dont mind helping, but you need to follow the guidelines and be patient as this is done on a volunteer basis.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
            Pristine,,,

Here u are again, hijacking someone elses thread, and asking the same question I just answered on your other thread, and then you wonder why people get snappy and irritated. Asking in four places wont get you assisted any faster and tends to make people NOT answer you.

Support tickets are mostly for server and installation issues, and, not to give you 100% web building advice, so they wont answer you on a priority basis as they are answering and working on tech support issues, installation issues, and the functioning of the servers etc, so the fact that they answered you at all speaks to their service above and beyond their jobs.

The forum is for answering and giving you web building tips. Seriously we dont mind helping, but you need to follow the guidelines and be patient as this is done on a volunteer basis.

Karen
            I'm NOT HIJACKING anything Karen, just wanted that person to know that I'm having the same problem as she is, and replied back with the email I got from support. I submitted a support ticket because I felt this WAS a tech issue and I'm well aware of this being done on a volunteer bases, for which I'm truly grateful for the positive comments from others in the past.

Comment

Ok, how can I get around that? Should I make most of it (except things that will be a link) in photoshop and then put it up just as a picture?

Comment

Sally,

Yes you can make it an image, however, make sure you use good alt text on the image, as the SE dont read the image like they would text. Using the alt text helps to overcome that.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

wooow, lost me there

make sure you use good alt text on the image, as the SE dont read the image like they would text. Using the alt text helps to overcome that.
                  what does that mean?

and is there a better way to use my font?

Will you take a look and tell me what you think?

Comment

Originally posted by sallyloudmouth View Post
                    wooow, lost me there

what does that mean?

and is there a better way to use my font?

Will you take a look and tell me what you think?
                    Your header could easily be made into an image, as suggested by Karen. The alt text is an option on the properties tab of the image (in BV). It enables you to enter text that will appear when the image is hovered over. Also this alt text is read by the search engines whereas an image isn't. So used wisely it can help counteract the negative aspect of having your header as an image. Personally I think you would be better using a simpler font for the main body of text on your page as the one you have chosen is difficult to read. It works well on your header though. I'd also make your strapline of a simpler font, as I found that difficult to read too.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                    X