Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Floods... News Item.

Hi all,

Well i think we've seen the last of the bad weather - as the flood level should have peaked last night.

Click the link below to view a map + pics of the worst affected areas.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

In my Area:

The Royal Borough of Maidenhead and Windsor is telling people worried about flooding to "take as many precautions as you can such as blocking outside ground-level air bricks, and creating a barrage of some sort around door thresholds
    Further flood warnings are likely in communities downstream including areas around Caversham, Wargrave, Cookham, Datchet and Wraysbury.

Our last defence is the jubilee River, a 11.6km (7.2 miles) long flood diversion channel - is now operating to protect Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton from flooding.

You might think the insurance companies are jumping for joy - instead they are in Hell - they just cant cope with the demand.

Has anyone else been affected?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM. Reason: Change title

Re: UK Floods... News Item.

How are all of our English colleagues holding out?
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

It’s going to be interesting along a lot of rivers & especially canals to see if & how boats lay back in the water. I can see there being a lot of problems with narrow boats if they end up on the tow paths.
      I know this was a bit of freak weather, but the local authorities shouldn’t allow building of any buildings on areas susceptible to flooding. This type of thing just lets the insurance companies charge what they like in future years, & makes it very expensive & very hard for anyone living in these flood areas.
      Wish all the victims good luck & hope the authority’s help out with the mop up..
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Not good news for you, wishing you, better days ahead.....

Comment

[quote=Collectors-info;171857]
          I know this was a bit of freak weather, but the local authorities shouldn’t allow building of any buildings on areas susceptible to flooding. This type quote]

I agree, home developments shouldnt build in area prone to flooding,but then again the home owner should also research into the geographic area before buying a house - i know it sounds non essential in most cases but it would make a huge difference.
          ---
          Well right know, our goverment is pointing fingers at other in 'Why barrier defences werent put in place' when this was forecast...they should be helping these guys with aid instead.

Comment

There was a bit on the news about this, & it turned out that the army defense barriers where stuck on the M5 motorway because of flooding. But in retrospect it was better they hadn’t installed these ones as they wouldn’t of held & could of sent water down to towns in one big hit if they had of broken.
            But it would be nice if this was part of a house survey, it might stop the building of houses in these areas if they can’t sell them.
            I live in Mill Hill, so I could end up with water side property in this keeps up.
            (Only joking)
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
              There was a bit on the news about this, & it turned out that the army defense barriers where stuck on the M5 motorway because of flooding. But in retrospect it was better they hadn’t installed these ones as they wouldn’t of held & could of sent water down to towns in one big hit if they had of broken.
              But it would be nice if this was part of a house survey, it might stop the building of houses in these areas if they can’t sell them.
              I live in Mill Hill, so I could end up with water side property in this keeps up.
              (Only joking)
              What a mess. Hearts going out to all those affected by this.
              Like when Katrina hit in the US, lots of speculation about why and what could/should have been done. Living and learn, rebuilding continues, hopefully safer and wiser....
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com
              www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Working...
              X