X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheist Plans Suit Over 'In God We Trust' On Money

What do you think of the below?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --
    The atheist who's spent years trying to ban recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools said he'll file a new lawsuit this week.Michael Newdow plans to ask a federal court to order removal of the national motto "In God We Trust" from U.S. coins and currency. He said it violates the religious rights of atheists who belong to his "First Amendment Church of True Science."The church's "three suggestions" are "question, be honest and do what's right." Newdow said it wouldn't be right to take up a collection when the money says "In God We Trust."Last year, the Supreme Court dismissed Newdow's lawsuit over the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance because he doesn't have custody of his daughter, in whose name the lawsuit was filed.Newdow has resurrected that case by filing an identical lawsuit on behalf of two families.
    Keep "In God We Trust" on our money.
    85.71%
    Remove "In God We Trust" from our money.
    14.29%

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: Atheist Plans Suit Over 'In God We Trust' On Money

That idiot should THANK GOD he lives in a country where he can share his ridiculous ideals.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I do not why I posted that article, I guess it just made me very angry when I
      saw it. People are abusing and taking for granted the freedoms they have and
      are constantly pushing the envolop to see how far they can go.......

Now, I have to explain to my two little boys that we had to remove God from
      our money because it offended the devil worshippers and atheist's.

(That will be fun)

The scary part is that he has a good chance of winning. If he does win, I hate
      to see what the next group will try.
      Last edited by VodaHost; 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with posting it - it's a provocative topic and the only way to stop people like that is to let others know about what's going on.

I'm with you in the fact that it makes me angry as well. Regardless this man's beliefs, he could very easily channel his energy into something constructive rather than the destructive path he's taking.

Of course, if he's not happy about the way things are he always has the option of moving to another country where God isn't as prevalent, but he'd never do that because he knows he'd pay a harsh penalty for speaking freely.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I'm not religous but I don't push my views either, thats why I disagree with that guy as well, we all should allow each other to believe in what we want, to try to change society to conform to his beliefs is unjust on his behalf, and unfair to the rest of us that accept what is and live for our lives without effecting others.

GD13,

*Treat those as you'd want to be treated*

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDraco13
            I'm not religous but I don't push my views either, thats why I disagree with that guy as well, we all should allow each other to believe in what we want, to try to change society to conform to his beliefs is unjust on his behalf, and unfair to the rest of us that accept what is and live for our lives without effecting others
            That's exactly how I feel.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I agree... this man is definitely picking the wrong battles. Aren't there other things he could feel passionate about?

What is it really hurting in the grand scheme of things to have "God" on the money?

He must have been very bored with his life and needed to stir up some action.

Julie S.
              www.hanalynn.com

Comment

Originally posted by Julie S.
                I agree... this man is definitely picking the wrong battles. Aren't there other things he could feel passionate about?

What is it really hurting in the grand scheme of things to have "God" on the money?

He must have been very bored with his life and needed to stir up some action.

Julie S.

I'm guessing he was dropped on his head as a child. If he wasn't, he should have been. LOL
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

This is more of a philosophical question and can be debated forever. I am angnostic on the subject I can view it several ways. "In God We Trust" on currency? should such things be put on the mighty U.S dollar in the first place? from my religious studies one cannot serve God and money, the two are polar opposites. Money a instrumental value God a intrinsic value. Having the word God on currency doesn't it demeen the religious meanning of God?

Another thing, do most of North Americans have some sort of religious freedom? If so where is the freedom when the phrase "In God We Trust" is on your dollar bill? pet121

Comment

I see a lot of angles on this one too. I'm not religious, but I guess you could see the phrase on our money as a "historical" statement that represents a portion of United States history. It IS a strong part of our historical culture. So, it seems you would start leaving out parts of our own historical culture by cutting it out entirely and "banning" it from certain arenas.

On the other hand, there are lots of other historical/religious parts of American history and culture that are NOT noted on the money or other areas.

So, I guess it boils down to "majority". The majority of Americans are Christians and would see no problem with it, and may actually feel pride in it.

HOWEVER, again, on the flip side... America is supposed to embrace more than just one religion and culture and is supposed to be known as the "land of the free". So, it's a tough one.

On that note, I kinda agree that you should have NO religious rhetoric on the money or other items that are supposed to, in some way, be REPRESENTATIVE of the United States. Because if even if Christianity is the majority, you are still leaving out much of the population. You can't represent ALL of the religions and cultures on the US on the money. So, maybe just don't have ANY religious or cultural statements on it at all. That way it shows that the United States is OPEN to all religions and cultures, or at least it would show that there isn't a bias toward one in particular. (Although, there kinda IS a bias toward one religion in the US since it's the majority)

Ugh.

Man, one could debate this one forever! (Even just in one's own mind!)

So, I'll just leave it at that. =P
                    www.hanalynn.com

Comment

Working...
                    X