Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Search Instalation difficulties

Hello My website is www.vullcanairbrush.com
    I have signed up for the site search engine and instructions say to fill the blanks

-DB host - MySQL DB host (usually localhost)
    -DB name - database name
    -DB host - MySQL DB host (usually localhost)
    -DB name - database name
    -DB user - database user name
    -DB password - password for user

Who or what is DB MySQL (localhost) Host? ( what should I type in )

Who or what is DB Name? ( Is this my user Name and password )
    Who or what is DB Host My SQL DB Host?
    What is DB User Name?
    What is DB password?

Sinisa

Re: Site Search Instalation difficulties

One more thing is instruction No.3 says
    3. Set permissions of folder "data" to "999" = "111-111-111".
    Do I put in quotation marks in as well?

Regards
    Sinisa

Comment

-DB host - Just Type : localhost
      -DB name - database name
      -DB user - database user name
      -DB password - password for user

This kind of scripts require that the user first creates a Database, and a user (with relevant username / password ) in order to install the script.

Go in your control Panel, MySQL databases.

Create a database for the script. Let's suppose that you call it "search".
      Please note that the CP wizard will create the database, but the actual name will be "cpusername_search" where cpusername is your OWN cp username.
      Then create a user for this database. The wizard allowes you to do so easily. You will need to define a username and a password yourself, as you like them. Please note that the user name is also prefixed by your cpusername. So, if you add a user "sinisa", the actual username will be "cpusername_sinisa".

The paswword instead is as you type it.

Last step: you need to ADD this user to the specific database. So go in the lower part of the page, and select from the Users dropdown, the user "cpusername_sinisa" and from the databases dropdown, "cpusername_search". Proceed and you will recieve a confirmation screen. There you can also see the full username and database name.

You can then proceed to script installation.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Got it ,
        Thanks
        I want to ask another more important question and that is how to get blue voda to host search engines for websites. Yahoo web builder has it , Namo has it...it is just standard for any web building program even if it isn't , it's a must feature.
        Is there a number to call or email where blue voda can be contacted about this...It embarrassing to tell someone : "My host does not support search engine it is really cool website building program though! " any person with some sense would tell you you have been dooped. I believe in blue voda I hope this could be solved quickly...
        Sinisa

Comment

I believe that you have confused things (or confused me).

There are two types of search scripts:
          1. Search scripts that crawl your pages, and index the content found (separated in words, so it searches for keywords). This type of scripts are database or flat file driven, and, once run, populate a table in the database (or lines - arrays in the file) where each word is associated to one or more page(s). When a user types a keywod, the script looks in the database or file, to find these keywords. If found, a page with links to related webpages is shown.

This type of scripts usualy have an initial html form for the search keywords, and can be VERY easily implemented in your site simply installing the script and embedding the form in your page(s) using a html box.

Again, there are two types: the ones (free or paid for) you install on your own site, and run entirely in it, and the ones that are offered as service (free or paid for) where the script is NOT installed on your server, but on the servers of the company that offers the service (simplest example: Google's site search)
          2. Search scripts for databases: these are specific scripts that are used to perform search through the database content. They apply to database driven sites as link directories, shopping carts, employment sites, automobile selling sites, dating sites etc.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

OK. I guess I was the confused one as I thought a search box is a search box...
            I need the site search box from the example NO. 1 where visitor searches my own site and finds relevant pages with terms they have typed in.

Where can I find such a script preferably with customizable box and and drag and drop features?
            Regards
            Sinisa

Comment

Please look at this thread where bethers has suggested two scripts of this type: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/add...=search+script

There are many more on the net, just Google it.
              Navaldesign

Comment

It would be easy if I knew what is it even called, besides it is risky to download stuff finding out it has spyware adware or other company logos
                as advertisement.
                If there is a clean version can you tell me where to get it.

I still did not get an answer if there is a way to tell blue voda about this so they or you can add this feature which blue voda has on all the forums including this one ( on the top right ) and design related pages .

I know for sure that you as Forum moderator have a say in this matter.
                I believe you can use the pull you have to accomplish this small but important task to everyones benefit.
                Am I wrong?

Looks to me that I have to do all the legwork ...Isn't the reason I paid for hosting and "easy to build" website platform to avoid all this writing and looking for scripts.
                I said I needed a help you suggest that I go look for it...I am , and I hope I am looking for it in the right place..This is not for personal , this is for common good...I also hope somebody else supports my view
                Sinisa

Comment

The links are in the thread by Bethers that i posted above.

Free stuff will have at least a link to the site of the author, you can't expect that they simply provide you free staff without at least this minimum

And, please note that all of us, older members, have downloaded and tested many scripts before we could find the one that we liked. I suggest that you do the same.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot have links to other websites ...it is our policy
                    And your comment that because older members did surtain things younger members should too does not lead to a progress

If that what we are supposed to expect every time we run into a basic problem we would have not had computers or technology today because my dad did not own a computer and he still does not.....
                    Iis there anybody in bluevoda staff that cares to resolve this in adequate manner ?
                    Navaldesign sorry if you are not the right person to talk to let me know who is...because the solution you are giving me is not a professional but a patch for inadequacies ( not your but bluevoda web builders ) ...
                    Sinisa

P.S. Instead of having Ping-Pong conversation why don't we agree that it would be easier if we had the script and help get it even for your self..that would be a help .Allot of customers including me are not interested in becoming programmers they just need their job done.

Comment

Just a few comments: you can find free scripts without links, if you search the net. Unfortunately i don't know of any, but you can try hotscripts.com. If they don't suit you, you can find paid ones for just a small price.

The second part: it is impossible that we know and have tested all (or even a good part) of the available scripts. That was the meaning of what i posted. In other words, whenever we could not find something as we wanted it, we spent hours and hours of our time, downloading and testing. Since a solution to your requirements is not visible here, you can try the same way. Or not....
                      Regarding BV: that's BV's staff issue, i will not answer on their behalf. But it is quite different posting in the Wishes forum, suggesting a new feature, and a totally different thing DEMANDING and defining a missing feature "inadequacy" as you do. BV is offered AS IS, and certainly has lots of features. If some others are missing, well, you can't have it all. And for free. Why you don't use Dreamweaver or Frontpage or even Namo and Yahoo builder that you mentioned ? Maybe because of the cost ?
                      If any other person (i don't know who) can help you with this issue, then he will.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

As the matter of fact a do have all three Namo, Dreamweaver and Yahoo...The reason I use bluevoda is because I admit I am not versed in programing and drag and drop is easier and quicker for what I can do...I choose blue voda over Yahoo because of better quality graphics and text display ...After you have spend allot of money and resources searching and finding something advertised as "easy"..."building website is a snap"...etc
                        you do not expect that feature like this could be overlooked...If I have been taken by enthusiasm that does not mean improvements cannot be make as we go...
                        Either way agreeing that it would be easier for everyone if blue voda had this feature would be a step help resolve the issue...What you are saying is take it or leave it...that is not even polite man..Do you want me to pay for the service because you had to?
                        Also I am not "Demanding" anything I am saying that this feature is missing and having it included because of the customers needs and request would certainly grade your customer service higher...
                        My agreement with blue voda expires with in a year having such response from customer service as displayed right now definitely does not inspire customer devotion ..Even If a was demanding it is not a bad thing I would be demanding but very useful .Having it included is a plus for blue voda and their customers..that in it self is valid point Does denying it make anybody smarter or more helpful?
                        Sinisa

Comment

Ok, it seemes that we are speaking different languages.
                          1. This is NOT customer support, this is a volunteer based members forum.
                          2. A product can be compared to another in it's entirety. You are admitting that BV is a lot easier than the other products you mentioned so you prefer it. It is obvious that some products have some features more or less than others.
                          3. What you are asking for is easy for a website builder, as it requires automatic upload of a lot of files as well as database setup etc that can NOT be done automatically.
                          4. The way you are asking, in my personal opinion is demanding. You can post in the wishes forum and suggest any improvements you think would make BV better. But, when you write "Is there anybody in bluevoda staff that cares to resolve this in adequate manner ?" and generally speaking, you exress in the way you did, i consider it a demand. I might be wrong, this is only my personal opinion.
                          5. Being polite: i believe i am. I could have simply ignored your posts. I have dedicated more than 40 minutes to this thread.

Being a moderator doesn't mean i am member of the BV staff, in fact i am not. And almost 7000 post, with answers to members about tech problems surely mean something.

Last: BV is, even though it is free for VH customers, a commercial product. As such, it has a cost and requires great effort to keep up to date and add features. VH will add new features in the order that are condidered most appropriate.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

I definitely feel bad about making your time with my request an unpleasant one ,
                            I admit I am very zealous sometimes ... I actually thought you are part of
                            customer service and that you are brushing me off ...
                            If you have said :"I am a volunteer you can actually ask blue voda to add this feature by contacting them here at http:www.etc... I would have said thank you..This way I too continued in my ignorance...
                            I did ask you post 4. if I can contact someone (anybody from blue voda about this )
                            I did not know there is a wish list...
                            Thank you for everything, you have been a help...7000 answered posts say lot more than words...that is commendable!
                            Regards
                            Sinisa

Comment

There is an appropriate forum for this reason, you can find it in Wish List & Idea Bin . That's where all of us post what we think is useful to all users. Those among them that VH retains applicable are added in the future versions.

Please note that everyone here is a volunteer, direct contact with VH is only through support tickets. However, the developing team works independently, and support can only solve technical issues related to hosting and BVbut is not responsible for any additions / changes / improvements to BV itself.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X