What is a Firewall ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Firewall ?

Simply put it acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet. To protect you from crackers, hackers and malware.

If your running DSL or a cable modem you should employ a firewall, as having a direct connection to the Internet can make you a target to attack.

Firewalls can be hardware or software based. With firewalls you set up ACL's or Access Control lists to allow or deny traffic.

There are three different ways a firewall can block traffic.

1. Packet Filtering- Packets are analyzed against filters in the firewall rulesets. Firewalls will drop packets that are not allowed in the firewall rulesets.

2. Proxy Service- Information from the Internet is grabbed by the firewall and delivered to the requesting service thru the proxy.

3. Statefull packet inspection- looks up criteria against a database of trusted information. To see if the packet contains anything that would allow

or deny it into the network.

Firewalls are customizable allowing you to create your own rulesets you can block IP addresses, specific protocols such as Telnet, FTP, ICMP, UDP, SMTP and many others.

Firewalls can be customized to block specific ports, or even keywords.

There are many software firewalls availiable such as Tiny Firewall http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN That is designed to keep hackers out of your network and block Spyware.

Zone Labs makes ZoneAlarm I like it bcause it has a simple interface allowing home users to configure it easily. http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

For hardware firewalls there is:

Cisco www.cisco.com There brand is called PIX firewall.

From home users I like D-Link DI-604 this is a inexpensive firewall that works well. Best of all it fits into almost any budget.

Linksys (now part of Cisco) offers a router/firewall that supports VPN and DMZ. www.linksys.com

There are many hardware solutions including setting up a firewall on a *nix box. I like this the best as it gives you the firewall administrator the most control. I personally like OpenBSD for any security applications I would run with Unix, as it is secure. There have been very few exploits against this platform.

Article By: Benjamin Hargis

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: What is a Firewall ?

Some firewalls may perhaps be used together and not others. I too like Zone Alarm, but wondered whether to use it with SP2 installed for XP. Would SP2 cause conflicts with other firewalls?

Comment

IS it my firewall? I have been unable to conect to FTP manager. my error messages are 331 user name ok and 530 authentication password not good. VH Help Desk says it's a firewall problem. after adding both BV and BV FTP to safe list and rebooting I still get same message. I am at a stand still (been here two days), if any one can give me any insite please respond.

Comment

Originally posted by circuspet.com
        IS it my firewall? I have been unable to conect to FTP manager. my error messages are 331 user name ok and 530 authentication password not good. VH Help Desk says it's a firewall problem. after adding both BV and BV FTP to safe list and rebooting I still get same message. I am at a stand still (been here two days), if any one can give me any insite please respond.
        yes I think i can help you i had some problems with programs like kazaa and other p2p programs the problem is mostly from your Internet provider he is mostly using some programs like p2p programs and pc2pc...etc programs you should connect him man and i hope you Luke.

Comment

Spikey:

The problem I was having was nothimg more than a Stupid User Error. when going to the FTP manager the password and user name were on automatic but I failed to notice the server must be selected from a menu.
          By not choosing a server from the menu the program defaulted to the first choice ( voda #1) which was not my server and trigering the password error. It was the help desk that suggested a fire wall problem.
          This simple problem took two days to figure out. Hope some one can profit from my error, at least a good laugh.

Comment

Working...
          X