Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Offence E-mail Scam Alert!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Offence E-mail Scam Alert!!!!!!!

Here is a new scam I received today, BEWARE.

Here is how you can tell it is a scam:

First off, there is no way they would know who I am by my email address.

Secondly, there is no name attached to the "refund".

Thirdly, they only ask for 2-3 days to process, no government agency acts that fast. (not when they owe you money anyway)

Forth, notice the FAKE copyright on the bottom of the e-mail with the date 2007. A government agency doesn't need to copyright a the name of the agency.

Warning: DO NOT Click the link below!!!!!!
    After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
    you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $268.32
    Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 2-3 days in order to process it.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Regards,
    Internal Revenue Service

© Copyright 2007, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.
    It even had a return address of Service@irs.gov

THIS IS A FEDERAL OFFENCE!!!!
    (they are impersonating a federal government agency)
    http://www.penniesnpence.com

Re: Federal Offence E-mail Scam Alert!!!!!!!

Thanks
    The "regards" gives it away as scam, : -)
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Yeah I noticed an email from the IRS in my spam box the other day. Too lazy to read it so I just deleted it.

Also any email from the govonerment would have some government officials name at the bottom, it wouldn't be from the "Internal Revenue Service"

Anyone can send an email that says its from service@irs.gov, or george.bush@whitehouse.com, sad thing is whoever sent it probably sent it through someone else's mail server.

And yeah, technically it is a Federal Offense, but chances are it wasn't even sent from within the US, whoever sent (even if they find out), the US gov can't do anything about a crime that wasn't committed on US soil. But you can always hope they send a covert op in to take out whoever sent the email... every less spammer in the world makes the world a better place.

Originally posted by bill2006 View Post
      Thanks
      The "regards" gives it away as scam, : -)
      Yeah, any email the IRS sends would say:
      Now Bend Over,
      Internal Revenue Service

Register/Login Script
      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Maybe I am missing the point here....

Why are we discussing the ins and outs of what gives this email scam away????

ANY email offering you money like this is going to be a scam? Banks, government departments, utility companies NEVER EVER send emails stating personal or financial matters as this. All matters of bank account details, tax returns, windfalls, lottery wins, rebates, bills etc etc would arrive by post.

If I was to warn you guys of an email scam every time I got one I would be posting an average of 1 every one and a half hours!

Here is some good advice:

Never open these emails

Never respond to these emails, however tempting or you will get added to the 'Suckers list'

and last but not least don't ever be daft enough to fall for any of them.

Anyone actually falling for any of these must consider if they should actually be in charge of a bank account in the first place no?
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
          Yeah I noticed an email from the IRS in my spam box the other day. Too lazy to read it so I just deleted it.

Also any email from the govonerment would have some government officials name at the bottom, it wouldn't be from the "Internal Revenue Service"

Anyone can send an email that says its from service@irs.gov, or george.bush@whitehouse.com, sad thing is whoever sent it probably sent it through someone else's mail server.

And yeah, technically it is a Federal Offense, but chances are it wasn't even sent from within the US, whoever sent (even if they find out), the US gov can't do anything about a crime that wasn't committed on US soil. But you can always hope they send a covert op in to take out whoever sent the email... every less spammer in the world makes the world a better place.

Yeah, any email the IRS sends would say:
          Now Bend Over,
          Internal Revenue Service
          I did forward it to the government agency that is supposed to take care of these things...

But you are probably right that it came out of the US and there for is untouchable.

worth a try though. :)
          http://www.penniesnpence.com

Comment

Working...
          X