Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the correct way to name....

Hi,

Can U tell me whether the following is the correct way to name my web pages?

I would like to seperate the folders for each individual activity on my site as I anticipate there would be more than 50 web pages to start with and I do not want them to be all mixed up in the public_html
    folder.

1. Main domain: "bumiweb.com_public_html/index_html" [Welcome page]

2. Sub-domain 1: "bumiweb.com_public_html_url2_index_html" [Family Tree + Database]

3. Sub_domain 2: "bumiweb.com_public_html_url2_index_html" [Orchids of Malaysia Photo Galleries]

I shall appreciate if those of U answering my query to focus only on my questions.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Abu.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Re: Is this the correct way to name....

Hi, your site is not much different to your computer when naming. 1st thing to mention is are you creating a sub domain or a sub directory to tidy up your site? These are 2 completely different things. The easiest way is to just create several sub directories. (Which is just adding more folders in you public_html).
    To create this, go to your cpanel > file manager > public_html & then click on “create new folder” at the top of the page. Name the new folder “family_tree” & save. Now press the create new folder again & create another folder called “orchids_photos” & save. Now you have 2 sub directory’s.
    Now you can create an index page & publish it to lets say, public_html/family_tree/ & when you click on a link that you may make called
    http:// www.bumiweb.com/family_tree/ you will land on the index page you published to this directory. But just to confuse things, I would give the index page that you want to land on a name other than index for these sub director’s. The reason for this? Is you will have a few pages called index, & it will only take one mistake to overwrite another index page. So maybe call the page index_ft & index_orchid_photos. The link will now be http:// www.bumiweb.com/family_tree/index_ft.html &
    http:// www.bumiweb.com/family_tree/index_orchid_photos.html
    So you just name your pages as normal in lowercase letters & no extensions, but publish to which ever directory/folder you wish. So if you had a page called Orchids of Malaysia Photo Galleries, you would name it as: “orchids_of_malaysia_photo_galleries” & publish to public_html/orchid_photos/ The link to this page would then be
    http:// www.bumiweb.com/orchid_photos/ orchids_of_malaysia_photo_galleries.html

NOTE: Your sites main landing page must be called index. But the subdirectory’s landing page can be what ever you wish.

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply.

What I want to do is to have "bumiweb.com_index" as my welcome page.

On it will be the following sub-domains:

"cari.bumiweb.com" which is a search portal to all internal links in my country.
      "niaga.bumiweb.com" is the "Bumiweb Shopping Mall"
      [Both these sites are still under construction]

"zuriat.bumiweb.com" is my genealogy site which house my family tree
      database [1300 pages] plus approx. 700 photos. [Ready for publishing]

"orkid.bumiweb.com" is a social site for my hobby for the last 30 years will house approx. over 1000 orchid photos and stamps in their own indv. albums.

[zuriat.bumiweb.com and orkid.bumiweb.com are ready to be published]

Question: Can all my sub-domains have their own "index" page with sub-folders.

How do I name the index pages?

Abu.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Hi, ok your are on sub domains & yes you will need index pages for your sub. So if you have a sub domain called cari.bumiweb.com. You would create an index page in BV for this sub domain and publish it to public_html/cari folder. So when someone types in www.cari.bumiweb.com they will land on this index page.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Since Bethers is the expert on SE's I wanted to make sure I named my pages correctly as well. I know the tutorial says to name your pages something short but I'm glad I didn't in light of what I have learned from this forum.

I Googled "Poodle Predictor." This is what your website looks like to a searchengine spider.
          I entered in "Achildspalace.com."
          Look at Diagnostics. I noticed that she named her pages the way I did.

I also used this Poodle Predictor to see how my competition was using their meta-keywords and to further fine-tune my website.

Hope this helps.

Koolspaces Commercial: 7 Signs You May Have a (hic) Holiday Rinking Problem
          www.YouTube.com/koolspaces

Comment

Originally posted by koolspaces.com View Post
            Since Bethers is the expert on SE's I wanted to make sure I named my pages correctly as well. I know the tutorial says to name your pages something short but I'm glad I didn't in light of what I have learned from this forum.
            This only a common assumption (or your opinion at best), and one that should not be taken to elevate or devalue the expertise of any single VodaPeer whatsoever.

You would be well advised to merely learn as much as possible from all available sources, and to try to see the bigger picture as you grasp the larger concept of web-building.

There is a lot of new and powerful information that has not even been shared regarding Search and Optimization that far supercedes the limited scope presented here in VodaTalk!
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks a lot Chris for your help.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              State of Johor.

Comment

Working...
              X